New tune using Marshall JVM and EZDrummer (Comments on mix welcome!) - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

New tune using Marshall JVM and EZDrummer (Comments on mix welcome!)

I've been asked for a few clips of the JVM, so I've gone and re-recorded a tune I did with my TriAxis a few months ago (some of you might remember me posting it even ).

It's by no means a direct comparison, or fair comparison as I've been working on my mixing, and the new mix really blows the old TriAxis mix clean out of the water. I will say though, recording with the JVM was much easier as the tone controls are far more responsive, and the amp itself just feels a little more "alive".

Anyway, equipment used:

Marshall JVM410 Head (OD1:Orange for all tones)
Palmer PDI-03 Speaker Simulator
M-Audio Firewire 410 into a Macbook with Cubase Studio 4
Drums were EZDrummer using the default kit
The bass (heh) was a cheap Ibanez though a compressor and DS1, i didnt bother re-recording it...

The guitar was a EBMM JP6. The bridge pickup was used for everything except the short lead breaks after the solo, which were done using the split coils.

Link:
http://andrew.williams.name/music/Mi...ExpressJVM.mp3

And for reference, the TriAxis version:
http://andrew.williams.name/music/Mi...essTriAxis.mp3

You thoughts on the mix are very welcome! I think i used a little too much gain at the start, but i think I've finally managed to get the speaker sim to sound like a real miced amp.

Last edited by AirGuitar; 10-05-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 12:56 PM

Re: New tune using Marshall JVM and EZDrummer (Comments on mix welcome!)

just listened to both versions. nice song. It has a surfing with the alien vibe to it. the opening rhythem riff made me think of satriani but thats just me. I think the rhythm guitar sounds better on the jvm version, not to fat with enough presence with enough sonic space for the lead parts. The leed guitar, for me, sounds better on the triaxis version. the tone is slightly fuller.
Try mixing the jvm rhythm with the triaxis leed and see what it sounds like.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for listening. The Satriani influence is pretty obvious yeah, its the sort of thing i had in mind .

I think the main difference was that i used the neck pickup for the solo on the TriAxis version, while i used the bridge pickup for the JVM version. I guess i just like the bite of the bridge pickup more these days, while i used the neck pickup a lot more when i played on the TriAxis.

I've actually changed the mix slightly again, I made a few EQ changes so that the different parts separate a little better, and the bass is actually audible now .

http://andrew.williams.name/music/Mi...essJVMMix3.mp3

Last edited by AirGuitar; 10-05-2007 at 09:06 PM.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 02:07 PM

yeah, nice. the new mix is a step in the right direction. now leave it for a couple of days and listen to it again with "clear ears" and see what you think.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarelaxe View Post
yeah, nice. the new mix is a step in the right direction. now leave it for a couple of days and listen to it again with "clear ears" and see what you think.
Ah that's a great idea! Thanks for the advice, i might work on something new for the time being

Tags
audio firewire , bridge pickup , marshall jvm , neck pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode