new Vai cd - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

new Vai cd

wish vai would just stick to playing the guitar. think i only put 3 or 4 tracks into itunes. if i buy a satch cd all tracks go into itunes. another let down by vai.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 08:26 PM

Re: new Vai cd

IMO it was one of the best Vai albums. I loved it.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 09:21 PM

Reviews: 11

I really like the track "Gravity Storm".
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 06:20 AM

The way I look at it-

He's lucky enough to do what he was, even if no one likes all or any of it.
Most musicians, if they even are these days, have to please a big a corporation before they even get a chance to make music, if they even write their own music or play instruments.
I envy the fact that he's doing exactly what he wants and he's on top of a small sector of the music industry.
I don't like everything on the CD either. The scope of what he covers on the CD and many other of his discs is pretty big.
I bet he's very happy with most all of his CDs and that's what counts to a truly free musician.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 02:59 PM

Reviews: 21

Vai doesn't have to please a corporation but, ultimately, he has to make money like everyone else. He is technically head of a small business with his own record company. He's done pretty good diversifying his artist lineup I think among the guitar players he has signed. Still, yeah, it is a niche and he does pretty well. It seems like Steve has become like Frank in terms of his business.
I'm digging more stuff on the album as I listen more. I like "John the Revelator" and "Book of the Seven Seals" lots more; his playing on the latter is jaw dropping yet incredibly soulfull.
Also, what fun would it be if he released ALS again and again and again?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 03:51 PM

Reviews: 1

Why do we buy a Vai cd? It's certainly not because he sounds like Satriani or anyone else. It's because he sounds like Steve Vai. Everyday I listen to the same old crap coming out of the radio whilst at work and I must admit that some of the songs off his new album (and some of his old albums) are a little out there but that is what make him a unique and diverse artist that is so refreshing in the sea of bland **** that is currently filling the air waves.
Rant over!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 03:35 AM

the new album is awesome , probably one of the best of vai's , Weeping China Doll , mullach Atsi , Gravity storm , Velorum , The moon and i are mindblowing tracks , Vai still has it what it takes to be top of the line !!!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 03:39 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Of 12 songs, I dumped only 4 so it's a good album but nowhere near to P&W.
Those 8 songs are just cool songs with awesome guitar tones and playing, just it.
Not even 1 song made me shake and not even 1 melody made me feel like....wow.
But it's a good album.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 03:59 AM

nothing goes near Passion ....
but i really liked the tune of weeping china doll , made me think how the hell did he come up with such a good riff ...
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 04:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsuer View Post
nothing goes near Passion ....
but i really liked the tune of weeping china doll , made me think how the hell did he come up with such a good riff ...
Yeah it's a cool song.
Riffs(inspiration) come from practicing, music you listen and things life throws on you.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 06:41 AM

Reviews: 13

John the revelator is incredible!
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 07:41 AM

Mr. Vai told a pretty cool story in an interview with guitar world. He said that his wife planted weeping china dolls (roses) in his backyard, and the way they grew ended up looking like a musical staff. He took a photo of it and played it on the guitar, and it became the melody to that song.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 08:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut View Post
Mr. Vai told a pretty cool story in an interview with guitar world. He said that his wife planted weeping china dolls (roses) in his backyard, and the way they grew ended up looking like a musical staff. He took a photo of it and played it on the guitar, and it became the melody to that song.
Yeah, some folks planted weed, they grew ended up like musical staff and the world could appreciate...........reggae!
People believe in everything famous players say...

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 11:39 AM

Reviews: 2

I should be receiving my copy today. I'm interested to hear how it sounds. The songs he played from it live sounded good.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 12:28 PM

Reviews: 10

I just got the CD in the mail yesterday so I haven't listened to it all yet...but I too am in the camp that wishes he would just play guitar...I know he doesnt have to please a big record company but he should stick to what pleases the majority of his fans if he is going to expect us to shell out our hard earned $ for his CD...he can record his self indulgent ideas at home but I wish he would stick to what got him to where he is and that is playing guitar not singing...just an opinion...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode