NIN *not* playing MTV awards - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

NIN *not* playing MTV awards

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 03:48 AM

Re: NIN *not* playing MTV awards

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Regards

André

post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 03:58 AM Thread Starter

I think this just shows how stupid MTV is, as if it wasn't obvious before.

Personally, I'm disappointed in MTV, mainly because I was looking forward to seeing NIN perform. It was my main reason for watching the awards. I may have to skip watching it entirely.
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 04:00 AM

well it looks like someone's got their head screwed on right and someone else needs to get their head knocked off
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 06:51 AM

Who cares....honestly?
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 07:35 AM

Good, now if people will just stop watching MTV.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 09:30 AM

Reviews: 5

I seriously doubt this bothers MTV or NIN all that much. MTVs core audience doesn't even know who Trent Reznor is. Maybe they remember "Closer" as that song that creepy guy in 11th grade used to listen to when they were in 4th grade. MTVs audience was in diapers the last time Trent was pedaling his product to angsty kids everywhere. MTV will probably fill the spot with a duet featuring Beyonce and the guy with the mohawk from Black Eyed Peas.

Trent, on the other hand, gets to act very rebellious and indignant that MTV wouldn't allow him to make his artistic statement.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh
I seriously doubt this bothers MTV or NIN all that much. MTVs core audience doesn't even know who Trent Reznor is. Maybe they remember "Closer" as that song that creepy guy in 11th grade used to listen to when they were in 4th grade. MTVs audience was in diapers the last time Trent was pedaling his product to angsty kids everywhere. MTV will probably fill the spot with a duet featuring Beyonce and the guy with the mohawk from Black Eyed Peas.

Trent, on the other hand, gets to act very rebellious and indignant that MTV wouldn't allow him to make his artistic statement.
Well, I suppose that would be worth watching incase the guy with the mohawk accidentally exposes one of Beyonce's breasts..... ;o)
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 01:27 PM

They're playing loads of gigs at the moment anyway, and i'm sure seeing them live will be more enjoyable than an MTV awards appearance!

I caught them in London at the end of March(superb Gig) and I'm going to see them again in July.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 01:44 PM

No mas! For the love of gawd, could there be at least something, anything, any aspect of life in America that doesn't involve some sort political, partisan slant?! Artists are entitled to their beliefs and I have no problem with their will to express them, but when they plan some sort of crass polititcal "statement" that they know will be rejected so they can make a stink about the rejection itself as an even bigger statement... it's cheap. Integrity doesn't need to be solicited.

That said, NIN is one of my favorite bands (I know it's not hip to like them in guitar-focused music circles, but I don't care) and I'm somewhat diappointed with them for this stunt.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

You all just proved their point. They weren't using the image in a negative way, they were just putting up a simple, plain image of Bush behind them as they played, everyone took it as negative and has a strong opinion of it.

And jem7vwh, get a life. You're attempts to force your personal opinions on the world around you are just getting irritating. You insult everything that you don't personally like, and never have the facts to back it up.

NIN's new album is selling well, even The Fragile, their least commercial album, sold well. The reason their was such a long break between albums is that Trent had alcoholism and other addictions he wanted to clean up before getting back to work.

And he doesn't care about MTV, he's not putting up a fight about this. The only reason he made that post was because he knew MTV would release a statement that didn't explain why NIN pulled out of the awards show, and he wanted the record set straight.

If you knew anything, you'd know Trent's got an awesome sense of humour, and this is part of it. It's not a "statement", it's a joke. The fact that people get so upset about it is the funniest part.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 03:31 PM

if i'm not mistaken the new album actually sold more copies than the fragile did in its first week which was hard to believe because that was such a masterpiece, but alot of factors could be tied into the mass production. hmm lets see 5 years and it was a highly anticipated album at that i think he's a genious, but MOST of his fans are kids i don't stand for .ugh goths
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 03:37 PM
Contributor

Reviews: 1
Wink Re: NIN *not* playing MTV awards

Gee, maybe they can replace them with Mr. Cent or possibly Mr. 'Ol Bastard?

I understand the vast majority of "listeners" out there just love these outstanding, professional, TALENTED "musicians"!!!!

Let's all bow to MTV for bringing this culture into our homes and lives!!!!!!
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 03:45 PM

i dont see what kids see in well... one guy is half a dollar and the other guy is old and a bastard so if you do your math right you get an old dirty bastard who's worth 50 cents ?
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 03:57 PM

"but MOST of his fans are kids i don't stand for .ugh goths"

I was actually quite surprised when I went to see NIN and that only a small portion of the crowd was actually "goth" or particularly young (the average was mid 20's age-wise). The biggest irony of course is that you have a percentage of fans that dress like freaks while Trent is onstage wearing cargo pants and a t-shirt. People not familiar with the band see the "Closer" video and a few funny-looking fans and think they have the band pegged, but NIN has "normal" fans and powerful music that's very much not a gimmick.

And, two_hands, I know Trent has a sense of humor, likes controversy, and has dealt with politics before in his music (in subtle but effective ways), but I just think that the bluntness of the Bush picture thing (yes, it's kind of a non-sequitur kind of mockery) is a little unbecoming of NIN's image. NIN has always been to me both deeply personal yet escapist music... but those are just my preconceived notions that don't dictate what should or should not be. I'm just so sick of politics and wish there was something that wasn't delineated over party lines, but that's just my problem.

Tags
limp bizkit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode