No local lessons. - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

No local lessons.

Im embarrassed to actually be saying this lol Im 30 years old, I've been playing guitar since I was 11. Lately I've realized my playing is not where I want it to be.

I bit the bullet and realized I need lessons. That being said there aren't any decent teachers around here. I can NOT be the only one in this situation. What have you guys done to overcome your obstacles without having any resource for local lessons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 12:42 AM

Re: No local lessons.

There is a ton of stuff online... youtube is good for various lessons and tutorials. Probably not as good as a personal teacher, but the price is right and you can do it on YOUR time. It's hard to stick with it, but if you find one or two things you need to work on and focus on those when practicing it doesn't take long to notice improvement in a certain area.

I get where you are coming from... been playing since I was a teenager and I'm 45 all of the sudden. Just getting back into it after 20 years off and having a lot of fun. Gets frustrating sometimes, but when I look back to where I was a year ago when I picked up my guitar again I notice major improvement. Still feel like a beginner though... So much to learn! Stick with it and try something new and different every now and then.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Hey FireEagle! Thanks for the response, yeah I've been hitting youtube. But I've found "Here's how to play this song... here's a cool lick..." I'm looking more towards, "Here is how you incorporate the scales and licks you already know and how to build off of them"

Plus I see 8 year olds tearing it up and their playing is clean... My issue is I can play the licks and sound decent... but it's not clean, a lot of times it sounds muffled and jumbled together.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 05:46 PM

You could do worse than finding yourself a copy of Guthrie Govan's Creative guitar books.

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Guita.../dp/1860744621

Look for Paul Gilbert lessons on the 'tube and his online lessons at Artistworks.com are very worthy.

I find jamming with backing tracks for a while tends to open new doors eventually. To begin with it's always the same bleedin' scales and riffs but after a while you'll find you're playing them differently or note choices become more random and exciting to hear. Got a looping pedal? That helps too. The TC Electronics ditto is great for a straight ahead simple looper.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/ditto-looper/

Check out HumanFuseBen's lessons, he's a member here, and this thread might be useful too.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f23/on...online+lessons

Cheers for now and good luck!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 10:54 AM

Reviews: 1

www.jamplay.com
Lots of variety, you can learn songs, you can learn style and application, you name it.
20 bucks a month.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezzerScrooge View Post
Hey FireEagle! Thanks for the response, yeah I've been hitting youtube. But I've found "Here's how to play this song... here's a cool lick..." I'm looking more towards, "Here is how you incorporate the scales and licks you already know and how to build off of them"

Plus I see 8 year olds tearing it up and their playing is clean... My issue is I can play the licks and sound decent... but it's not clean, a lot of times it sounds muffled and jumbled together.
Yeah, the stuff you are looking for is like finding needles in a haystack on youtube. There are some good youtube channels I have found though... ones that are more about teaching and lessons, as opposed to licks and tricks.

I'm with you on the 8 year old shredders! Ticks me off too! I guess its my own fault for never getting serious or taking lessons. I have so many bad habits now I may never play clean or good... but I am having fun and improving somewhat... so thats what keeps me going.

One thing that helps to play something clean is to slow down and concentrate on playing it clean. Making sure you are muting strings that might ring... etc... then gradually build the speed while maintaining technique. I have a hard time doing that, I'm impatient and want to speed up as soon as I learn a cool solo or lick, but it truly does work if you take the time to work on technique.

Good luck!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 05:40 PM

I don't know what part of Florida you are in, but if you are in the panhandle area you might check out Derryl Gabel for personal lessons, I bought his dvds and they are great.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 06:12 PM

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/

Great place with tons of lessons (quality videos; starts with solo then explains slowly, tabs, backings with different metronoms...), online class every 3-4 days (you can play there too to the teacher), teachers help spesific to you on forum (pretty much like private lesson) also there are forums members that are luthiers-mastering engineers etc...doesn't get any better for the monthly prices.

Also the forum is very active and a fun environment, very motivating.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Awesome guys! You've given me a lot to think about and great resources. Thank You!
Im in South/Central Florida. On the beach directly east of Lake Okeechobee.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode