No rubbish, just looking for straight advice - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: dubai
Posts: 37
No rubbish, just looking for straight advice

Hi all,

I know there are a lot of threads on here about this but they all get a bit carried away with opinioins rather than useful info and help.
I not havin ago, just want to keep this to the point.

I am looking for good building blocks for learner metal/heavy rock guitar.

I used to play a lot as a kid but haven't really played for a decade.

Starting up again and although feels good I have no idea about the basics and theory of playing the guitar.

I have started with Marty Swartz stuff and will be getting the dvd package soon. I think he is really good and starts from the very simple beginnings and works on from there. This is all blues stuff if you don't know, which I am really in to also.

I want to find similar level of teaching dvd/downloads but for metal/rock playing. Whats sad is I can play cowboys from hell intro nearly at full speed but can't change from D to C to save my life, hence the Marty approach.

I have no idea about any scales/modes etc and really want to get all this sorted.

Any good stuff you can point me towards I appreciate.
caraloco1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 09:28 AM
 
IbanezFreak777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,163
Reviews: 25
Re: No rubbish, just looking for straight advice

Who the hell is Marty Swartz ??

www.youtube.com more guitar lessons on there for free then you can poke a stick at...

Start with PAUL GILBERT and move down from there...

Welcome back to playing guitar, and the big lesson you will learn is that you should have never stopped when you first did...
IbanezFreak777 is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 03:14 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 347
Re: No rubbish, just looking for straight advice

It depends on what your goals are. A great book that is pretty thorough about addressing many necessary assets of playing is John Petrucci's Wild Stringdom. It'll walk you through good warm ups to increase your flexibility and work on picking speed. If you do exactly as he says in this book, your technique will take off as well as your ability to incorporate that technique in theory. For scales modes and chords, I keep the handy Guitar Grimoire around. Sweet book a more experienced guitar player gave me once, and it's a resource of infinite value.
DVD-wise, for technique stuff, Paul Gilbert has good ones, and although his style is not my taste, Michael Angelo Batio knows what he's talking about in his speed kills series. If you're looking for something to learn tunes or do mode and scale studies from the Lick Library series is really good (everything from Steve Vai, Satch, A7X, Phrygian Mode, Lydian Mode, ACDC) all kinds of stuff available there, but they are expensive. The guitarists who put out those DVDs are quite good though, I know I've been pleasantly surprised when I put one in and it's a lesson from Guthrie Govan.
Saxopwn is offline  
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 03:24 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 2,604
Reviews: 10
Re: No rubbish, just looking for straight advice

In my humble opinion, the best free Lessons on the internet, that I am aware of, are from Carl at http://www.guitarlessons365.com/ He has tons of free youtube vids with really great lessons...
doriangrey is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 03:55 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 347
Re: No rubbish, just looking for straight advice

Wow, these are great Dorian! Thanks!
Saxopwn is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: dubai
Posts: 37
Re: No rubbish, just looking for straight advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
Who the hell is Marty Swartz ??

www.youtube.com more guitar lessons on there for free then you can poke a stick at...

Start with PAUL GILBERT and move down from there...

Welcome back to playing guitar, and the big lesson you will learn is that you should have never stopped when you first did...
PAUL GILBERT' Bit far ahead of me at the moment. Really need to go to the basics and work from there.

But yes there are a lot on youtube and finding some of them really really good.
caraloco1 is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: dubai
Posts: 37
Re: No rubbish, just looking for straight advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
In my humble opinion, the best free Lessons on the internet, that I am aware of, are from Carl at http://www.guitarlessons365.com/ He has tons of free youtube vids with really great lessons...
looks good, and free! cheers

Last edited by caraloco1; 07-13-2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: typo
caraloco1 is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: dubai
Posts: 37
Re: No rubbish, just looking for straight advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxopwn View Post
It depends on what your goals are. A great book that is pretty thorough about addressing many necessary assets of playing is John Petrucci's Wild Stringdom. It'll walk you through good warm ups to increase your flexibility and work on picking speed. If you do exactly as he says in this book, your technique will take off as well as your ability to incorporate that technique in theory. For scales modes and chords, I keep the handy Guitar Grimoire around. Sweet book a more experienced guitar player gave me once, and it's a resource of infinite value.
DVD-wise, for technique stuff, Paul Gilbert has good ones, and although his style is not my taste, Michael Angelo Batio knows what he's talking about in his speed kills series. If you're looking for something to learn tunes or do mode and scale studies from the Lick Library series is really good (everything from Steve Vai, Satch, A7X, Phrygian Mode, Lydian Mode, ACDC) all kinds of stuff available there, but they are expensive. The guitarists who put out those DVDs are quite good though, I know I've been pleasantly surprised when I put one in and it's a lesson from Guthrie Govan.
Think anything Petrucci might be a bit to much for me right now.

Have seen some lick library stuff before and it looked good. Will see what they've got.
caraloco1 is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 11:56 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 347
Re: No rubbish, just looking for straight advice

With the Gilbert and Petrucci stuff, you can play it and it's good for you, it's just a question of how slowly you can do it. I've only been playing the guitar a few years, but shying away from the difficult things wont help in the long run since they take A LOT of time to get under your belt. I've been running Lick Library's lydian mode DVD the last few days, I very much enjoy the pace and content of all their lessons I have used. One thing to do too is learn the theory starting basic and going up, if you have the theory and know the names of the strings that gives you the possibility of figuring out tons of stuff on your own. I learned theory in a classical and jazz sense as a saxophonist, so I don't know a great guitar specific method, but definitely make sure to know your circle of 5th, key signatures, how minor keys relate to major, the modes of the major scale and where to use them. Also make sure you know chord notation. I don't know a great book for theory as it applies to guitar, but I do recommend the Guitar Grimoire if you want a great portable guide to any scale you can think of. Hope this helps at all.

Edit: I can't play anything Petrucci full speed all the way through yet either.
Saxopwn is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 04:24 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,349
Reviews: 11
Re: No rubbish, just looking for straight advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by caraloco1 View Post
Hi all,

I know there are a lot of threads on here about this but they all get a bit carried away with opinioins rather than useful info and help.
I not havin ago, just want to keep this to the point.

I am looking for good building blocks for learner metal/heavy rock guitar.

I used to play a lot as a kid but haven't really played for a decade.

Starting up again and although feels good I have no idea about the basics and theory of playing the guitar.

I have started with Marty Swartz stuff and will be getting the dvd package soon. I think he is really good and starts from the very simple beginnings and works on from there. This is all blues stuff if you don't know, which I am really in to also.

I want to find similar level of teaching dvd/downloads but for metal/rock playing. Whats sad is I can play cowboys from hell intro nearly at full speed but can't change from D to C to save my life, hence the Marty approach.

I have no idea about any scales/modes etc and really want to get all this sorted.

Any good stuff you can point me towards I appreciate.
Opinions are info, YOUR the one that decides whether it's useful or not.

I say work your technique very slow with a metronome. Gilbert's lessons are actually fantastic, even for beginners, for dexterity. Just play them very slow
Bryancap77 is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 04:36 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 593
Re: No rubbish, just looking for straight advice

No Rubbish, if you want to study all the aspects of Metal you need to check out Troy Stetina's Metal Lead and Metal Rhythm method. He covers all the bases and teaches theory on top of it in a way you will really enjoy. He teaches you the theory behind what makes metal sound like metal as well so you will be able to write and construct your own songs. All lessons and songs sound really great too.

Look about 1/4 down the page under Troy Stetina Series:
http://www.stetina.com/lessons.html

Troy Stetina Series (Hal Leonard Publ.):

Metal Rhythm Guitar Volume 1
Metal Rhythm Guitar Volume 2
Thrash Guitar Method
Metal Lead Guitar Primer
Metal Lead Guitar Volume 1
Metal Lead Guitar Volume 2
Metal Guitar Tricks
Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar
Fretboard Mastery
chrisf is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: dubai
Posts: 37
Re: No rubbish, just looking for straight advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryancap77 View Post
Opinions are info, YOUR the one that decides whether it's useful or not.

I say work your technique very slow with a metronome. Gilbert's lessons are actually fantastic, even for beginners, for dexterity. Just play them very slow
Thanks for the advice. I know I didn't word that very well and sounds pretty bad! By opinions I meant a lot of the time they go off on tangents but anyway, don't want to sound like an a** again.

I''m realy struggling with my right hand, positioning mainly, how I want to hold the pick (all fingers bunched up) means I put pressure on the trem and put it out. Anyone know of any good lesson on this?
caraloco1 is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: dubai
Posts: 37
Re: No rubbish, just looking for straight advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf View Post
No Rubbish, if you want to study all the aspects of Metal you need to check out Troy Stetina's Metal Lead and Metal Rhythm method. He covers all the bases and teaches theory on top of it in a way you will really enjoy. He teaches you the theory behind what makes metal sound like metal as well so you will be able to write and construct your own songs. All lessons and songs sound really great too.

Look about 1/4 down the page under Troy Stetina Series:
http://www.stetina.com/lessons.html

Troy Stetina Series (Hal Leonard Publ.):

Metal Rhythm Guitar Volume 1
Metal Rhythm Guitar Volume 2
Thrash Guitar Method
Metal Lead Guitar Primer
Metal Lead Guitar Volume 1
Metal Lead Guitar Volume 2
Metal Guitar Tricks
Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar
Fretboard Mastery
Looks good thanks
caraloco1 is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 11:36 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,349
Reviews: 11
Re: No rubbish, just looking for straight advice

I know a good lesson for that. Don't do it. The more you DON'T do it, the less you'll do it and then muscle memory will kick in and you'll meet want to do it
Bryancap77 is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 12:47 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 347
Re: No rubbish, just looking for straight advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryancap77 View Post
I know a good lesson for that. Don't do it. The more you DON'T do it, the less you'll do it and then muscle memory will kick in and you'll meet want to do it
Yep, the best right hand position is whatever feels good a works. Watch some of the greats and you'll see that their right hand is all very different. Michael Angelo anchors his just underneath the high e string, Steve Vai tends to float completely and only anchors when picking very fast. I think it's Marty Friedman who holds his pick at a quite strange 45 degree angle or so where the thumb side is like 45 degrees below the forefinger side. It's pretty common to hold the pick in a 45 degree angle in the opposite direction Marty? does it. The main thing is if you are picking with poor technique, then slow it down to a speed where you can focus on doing something that works instead, it'll be no time at all before the good technique feels natural.
Saxopwn is offline  
Reply

Tags
beginner , dvd , learner , lessons

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recording straight to MP3? Big Red Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 10 04-09-2007 03:38 AM
Slant or straight WMerkert Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 6 10-29-2006 04:11 AM
5150 Straight Cab badwamajama Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 18 10-20-2005 01:12 PM
Does this sort of rubbish happen alot on ebay??? wilch Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk 3 02-10-2004 11:18 AM
Straight fourths Devo Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! 0 07-02-2003 07:26 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome