Ibanez JEM Forum banner

North Texas University, Berklee College of Music, or University of Miami?

8K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Nordhauser 
#1 ·
I'm a 17 year old junior in high school, getting ready to get serious about college. I want to study jazz and do studio work. These three colleges look awesome to me. Anyone have any experience at these schools, or any other great music schools to name off?
I live in Indiana, so I'm also looking at Indiana University, which is also a great music school, but is also very classical-orriented.
Thanks!
smitty

#3 ·
are those only the colleges you are looking at, sounds like an odd choice. the conservatory in boston is great, but if you are looking for a diverse place, tennesse has an amazing jazz program, pick up the US news guide to colleges and they have tons of reccomendations for what you are looking for

#4 ·
North Texas and Miami both have killer jazz programs, north texas probably being a bit better based on the research I did when I was looking at colleges. Berklee....in lieu of my rants I usually give about why I don't think that's a good place to go, I'll just that I don't reccomend it.

#6 ·
If you want to go to a college with the best international reputation and a kickass programm I would rate Berklee #1.
I am not even from the US though, but this is what our local college peeps say: If you want to go to the US to study go to Berklee.

#8 ·
maybe because vai & petrucci attended? honestly at this level, you can't go wrong with either school. really it will come down to how much effort you put into incorporating the material and utilizing the resources (i.e., world class instructors and peers) that will determine the quality of education you receive.

#9 ·
Berklee is cool if you like meeting kids that talk about nothing else, but music. ;) Don't get me wrong, that's great, but I need diversity.

I went there for 2 summers and loved it; however, I go to a university for a reason. The education is great Berklee, but you're going to miss out on a lot of experiences since it's just a conservatory.

I honestly recommend the University of Cincinnati -- especially CCM (UC's College Conservatory of Music). They have classical as well as jazz and a badass E-media program. Not to mention, if you ever change your mind about staying in music as a major, you can switch programs and not have to transfer.

Universities are definitely the realistic choice when it comes to college. I got accepted to Berklee and declined to go to a university. Havn't looked back since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.