Nov JGC track? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Nov JGC track?

Any thoughts about a backing track for the Nov guitar challenge? Is it time to rock out or what?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAvZtg3sx8M

Post up any suggestions and links!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 07:35 PM

Re: Nov JGC track?

Weirdly I found this difficult to get along with.
So I am up for this!
Yes from me

T
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Ha ha... I just kind of threw that out there. But I like your spirit! It's a tough one for me too, pretty fast... but I like it cuz its in my blood! \m/ Not saying I could jam over it with much success, but a challenge forces me to grow and learn.

Feel free to post up any suggestions for a Nov backing track. I haven't heard anything from Frank (the real guitar challenge guy), but we can at least get some suggestions out there.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 02:29 AM

Reviews: 10

How about something in Lydian? I don;t think we've had a lydian track to challenge our phrasing in that mode… I like this track a lot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBU6OAgplyE
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
How about something in Lydian? I don;t think we've had a lydian track to challenge our phrasing in that mode… I like this track a lot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBU6OAgplyE
That IS a good one... I can dig it! A track without too much going in leaves a lot of room for expression. Never played Lydian before... but I can figure it out if we pick that one. Thanks Dorian!!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 09:52 AM

Also yes!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
That IS a good one... I can dig it! A track without too much going in leaves a lot of room for expression. Never played Lydian before... but I can figure it out if we pick that one. Thanks Dorian!!
Cheers! I thought it would be nice to have something with a major mode feel - seems like there's been several rockin tracks in minor keys so I thought this might change it up a bit...and I also agree that the track has some good 'space' that should lend itself well to some nice melodic meandering. I feel bad I haven't participated in the recent challenges but summer and fall were crazy busy for me but things are slowing down a bit now that the wet dark season is here so I'm looking forward to getting back into these =)
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
Cheers! I thought it would be nice to have something with a major mode feel - seems like there's been several rockin tracks in minor keys so I thought this might change it up a bit...and I also agree that the track has some good 'space' that should lend itself well to some nice melodic meandering. I feel bad I haven't participated in the recent challenges but summer and fall were crazy busy for me but things are slowing down a bit now that the wet dark season is here so I'm looking forward to getting back into these =)
I've been cramming in a lot of outside work while the weather was decent, but it's starting to get cold here too... so I'm back on the guitar as much as possible.

Would be great to have you in the challenge again! The ones you submitted back in the spring were fantastic. Hopefully there will be more participation in Nov too... so far just 3 entries for October. Maybe that "progressive" track scared 'em off? It was different, but not THAT bad...

What does everyone else think? Should we go with Dorian's track? I'm up for it...
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 03:26 PM

Reviews: 6

hello
the lydian DT from dorian is cool, I also thought about this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzgjhpEs078

About the october one, I had no chance to spend some time, we started some big work in the garden (removing the cedars, adding fences with concrete, etc) my fingers are pretty numb so my playing is sloppy, to add some juice: my wife fell down and her knee is injured (ligaments, that sucks pretty much...)
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 03:46 PM

Guess my answer this time
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 04:52 PM

Reviews: 6

Ahhhh, this always happens to me. Like a blind man in a brothel, they all have a sound that makes me want to do them. Can we not all agree a format where one person submits a good one and the rest ****e ones?

I llike Fire's one because it has a great metal sound to it and I would love to learn more excessive 80s techniques.

I like Dorian's one for the reason that it's in Lydian and it would be nice to do more modal stuff. I also like the way it's not really structured with a verse/chorus style, so it's more open ended for a guitar player. Sort of a "Watermelon in Easter Hay" quality to it

I like Satch's one because it's nice and heavy, but also doesn't have the verse/chorus thing going on.

Even though I love the sound of the verse/chorus thing, I find them infinitely harder to play over as I have the melodic instinct of a dead nun, so my hooks are always wank. I would be very happy to do any of the above tracks, but I should probably do more verse/chorus stuff to hopefully develop some sense of how to create a hook.

I'm good with them all.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satch_jr View Post
hello

About the october one, I had no chance to spend some time, we started some big work in the garden (removing the cedars, adding fences with concrete, etc) my fingers are pretty numb so my playing is sloppy, to add some juice: my wife fell down and her knee is injured (ligaments, that sucks pretty much...)
Nothing wrong with that track satch_jr but it's metal in a minor key and we've kinda done that before - I was thinking it might be good to try something a bit different. Might be a good opportunity for all of us to work on our lydian playing and phrasing...especially if you're like me and you play in classic rock bands and jams where there's not much in the way of opportunities to play lydian...but at the end of the day I am a believer in democracy so I'm good with whatever the majority likes best =)
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 05:11 PM

The majority seem to like then all.......So a busy month it's gonna be
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 05:19 PM

I did really like the last one most.
It challenged my cap down picking and had rather modern djenty feel to it, which is something I do really get.
Exploring this one I found both modal, minor scales (Inc pentatonic) and some cool diminished links in there.

Also when/how do we wrap up October's challenge?
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by satch_jr View Post
hello

Thats a cool track, I hooked up my laptop to the monitors and jammed with it a couple of times. Hard for me to get a good handle on it, just because I'm not used to that modern sounding stuff. Fun though!

Thats too bad about your wife getting hurt! Is her knee going to be ok? I know that ligaments tend to take a while to heal.

Tags
jemsite guitar challenge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode