Ok, something I've never done much with - open tunings, what - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Ok, something I've never done much with - open tunings, what

You know, outside of standard tuning, and drop D, I've really never used, or experimented with any open tunings, now, a good friend of mine is interested in them and I don't really understand them. *
What do you base the structure of an open tuning on? *How is it built, and why is it that way.
I've done some stuff with my guitar tuned weird, but I never concerned myself with what tuning it might have been.
So, could someone out there that is obviously smarter than me, please explain, it surely would be appreciated.
Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 07:45 PM

Ok, something I've never done much with

I don't think it is as clear cut as you want it to be. *An open tuning can be setup to do anything. *As far as I am concerned, there is really no rule or pattern you follow.

I think it all depends on the function of what you are doing. *For instance, if you are playing slide, you might want to make the open tuning resemble a chord shape that comes up at different places on the neck. *If you are playing a piece where you want to accentuate a certain note or notes as open strings, then you tune those notes to be available on your open tuning, etc.

Take Bad Horsie for example. *Big time hard sounding rock song, so Steve needed a power chord shape voiced root-fifth-octave. *Dropping the low string a whole step lower than it usually is in relation to the other strings created that voicing on the 3 low strings as an open tuning. *This way, he was able to use the slide to play the chord -- and like I said, the chord shape is used in different positions.

You can also alternate tune to play chord voicings that would otherwise be impossible in a standard tuning. *I don't think I need to tell you that the possibilities are endless on this one.

Sometimes my alternate tunings are for solo electric guitar...and by that I mean like a chord/melody piece. *Listen to some Chet Atkins songs where he plays the bass line and the melody simultaneously, or juggles back and forth between them. *If you are chunking away at open low strings while playing the lead part, you only have 2 or 3 notes to pick from. *If you retune these strings, you can do some different progressions with this type of song.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanx Josh, that's basically what I figured, an open tuning is what you make it. *I was just wondering, I know there are some "textbook" open tunings, D and G for example, I was curious if these were derived from some chord structure, or if it was just someone's idea. *The only thing I wonder about, is if an open D tuning was say D, A, D, A, D, F#, don't you think that's going to be putting an awful lot of stress on your B string if you decide to do a bend? *I don't know, I'm just curious, I wouldn't even have brought it up probably except my friend wanted to know. *I thought I knew my theory fairly well, but obviously there is still tons to learn, (well, I realized that anyway)
Thanx again.
Jeremy
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2001, 02:48 AM

Reviews: 5

open tunings are pretty much open to lots of interpretation, they are often created to allow easy use of slide, or just tuned to a chord so that when struck open, they sound like a chord and then any fretted notes only augment that sound.

a fun one to try:
D A D A C D
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2001, 11:08 AM

I'm a huge fan of a Canadian band called The Tea Party and they use a wide variety of tunings and have only 3 songs out of their 7 albums in standard tuning! *Here's a few that they use that I find are a lot of fun:

EBEEBE
EBEGBE
DADADE
CGCGCF (I'm aware that that's the last one down a tone)

Hope that helps! *They also have one where the bottom three strings are all Cs. *Two in unison (4th and 5th) and one down an octave (6th).
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 08:45 AM

Try this one. Is the same that Page uses on Rain Song
DGCGCD

or Kashmir try

DADGAD

Tags
alternate tuning , alternate tunings , electric guitar , low strings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode