One of my early guitar heroes - Rik Emmett - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

One of my early guitar heroes - Rik Emmett

First "big" concert I ever saw was Triumph on their Thunder 7 tour in the early 80's. Rik Emmett totally blew my mind... killer player. Ran across an old live video of him at a Yamaha booth somewhere, not the best audio quality though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fdRll1deN4

Anyone else hear of this guy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 02:46 PM

Re: One of my early guitar heroes - Rik Emmett

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
First "big" concert I ever saw was Triumph on their Thunder 7 tour in the early 80's. Rik Emmett totally blew my mind... killer player. Ran across an old live video of him at a Yamaha booth somewhere, not the best audio quality though:

Yes! A big fan of Rik Emmett. One of the most awesome vocalists as well as an amazing guitar player. I bought a Vantage 6 string electric when I was a teenager. One day I see Rik Emmett in a video playing a 12 string version. That was really cool. The US festival performance was amazing. He is a very schooled musician that rocks.Just like Rush they were a 3 piece canadian band.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennips View Post
Yes! A big fan of Rik Emmett. One of the most awesome vocalists as well as an amazing guitar player. I bought a Vantage 6 string electric when I was a teenager. One day I see Rik Emmett in a video playing a 12 string version. That was really cool. The US festival performance was amazing. He is a very schooled musician that rocks.Just like Rush they were a 3 piece canadian band.
I agree... great singer as well. I remember him pulling a little stool out onto the stage at one point and the whole place went dark except for one little spotlight. He put on a great show for a while by himself... brought the house down! After that concert I slowly bought every album and wore them out. Yep... the "other" Canadian trio... lol.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 01:47 PM

His playing on Thunder 7 was outstanding.
Little Boy Blues is one of my favorite songs.
They just followed it up with an extremely commercial release and I think the fans were taken aback by it.
I know I was.
They had built a loyal core following like Rush.

Can't really fault them for the direction, everyone was doing it from Yes, Rush, Aerosmith ! Zebra and those early 80's hard rock bands.

Listening to them today , they are good releases, but at the time it was just watered down.

Great thread.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michblanch View Post
His playing on Thunder 7 was outstanding.
Little Boy Blues is one of my favorite songs.
They just followed it up with an extremely commercial release and I think the fans were taken aback by it.
I know I was.
They had built a loyal core following like Rush.

Can't really fault them for the direction, everyone was doing it from Yes, Rush, Aerosmith ! Zebra and those early 80's hard rock bands.

Listening to them today , they are good releases, but at the time it was just watered down.

Great thread.
I agree... Little Boy Blues is awesome. Lots of great guitar on there, great songwriting too. Midsummer's Daydream is a favorite of mine as well.

Yeah, I rushed out and bought Sport of Kings, but was really disappointed when I listened to it. Thunder 7 was a tough album to follow up with a mellow commercial album. I've since gone back and listened to some of the lighter albums that disappointed me at the time... and found that I can appreciate them more now. Zebra and Rush especially, Power Windows is as good as any Rush album.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 05:55 PM

I actually have a hard copy of Little Boy Blues Tablature from years ago.
It took forever to find but was worth the search.

Regarding the music being commercial at the time, it seemed that there were fans that loved the prog aspect of Zebra, Rush, Triumph and it was left behind to move in a different direction for wider appeal. Which alienated a lot of fans. It went from hard rock to hair metal pretty quick.
Some bands pulled it off and some had their careers pretty much done in by it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

I was a teenager at the time, so at the time a lot of those bands that changed kind of lost me. Thought they were "selling out", etc... Now I understand that in some ways a band is like a business, more like a career for them. Can't blame them for going the way they thought was best for making a living. Much like Kid Rock and Vince Neil going country in recent years...

I've been playing the Thunder 7 cd a lot lately (what prompted me to post this thread) and my 2 y/o grandson loves it. Now he picks up the cd case and asks me to play the "spooky man" music... from the cover art I guess. I'd love to learn Little Boy Blues someday... Tab is much easier for me, but I think I learn more along the way when going by ear. I usually have to find the tab on some parts though. Like the hammer on/pull off runs in Midsummer's Daydream... which I still can't play at full speed... lol. Someday I want to pull that one out of my hat around the campfire with my dad.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post

Rik Emmett is my all-time favorite guitarist. He's aging now... can't hit those high notes like he used to, but WOW can that guy play! He made several solo albums after Triumph that are all worth listening to if you have the time. In fact, I think I liked him even better on his own!

Try this one out...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1FX8Hj2TC8
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

This was a real treat to come across... another favorite album of mine. Check out the double-neck Ibby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irL4661cpa8

Tags
rik emmett triumph

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode