Opeth fans? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Opeth fans?

ok, i'm bored, and i've seen a few ppl mention opeth.

so who's an opeth fan? and who's an opeth fan that wouldn't normally listen to death metal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 02:07 AM

i'm an Opeth fan who would gladly listen to death metal
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 04:46 AM

Opeth is one of my top 3 favorite bands ever! I'm seeing them play tomorrow night in Seattle with Porcupine Tree also. I can't wait!
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 05:05 AM

I'm one who rarely listens to any death metal. I though Opeth sounds more like black metal though.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PekkaM
I'm one who rarely listens to any death metal. I though Opeth sounds more like black metal though.
everyone has a problem differentiating black and death metal at some point in time, i'm still not good at doing it, but opeth is death metal.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman
everyone has a problem differentiating black and death metal at some point in time, i'm still not good at doing it, but opeth is death metal.
I thought singing is what separates them. Growling vocals in black metal, right? I thought music like Children of Bodom is death metal, fast with screaming lyrics (and in this case rather melodic).
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

i think it has more to do with the theme of their lyrics. i'm going to have to ask some of my friends to be 100% sure though.

take emperor for example, they're black metal, more of a higher pitched screaming though.

at this point i really think we should just do away with these sub categories of metal (black, death, doom, etc.) it's just too confusing!
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

ok, so i asked one of my friends, and this is what i got, (edited for spelling/grammar)

Quote:
black metal was a response to the weakening out musically and image wise of death metal. Black metal's primary difference was the image, but then it moved on to...well, basically...black metal is faster, much faster, harsher and usually more symphonic as well. Usually employs alot more keyboards then death metal, the vocals are high and howly and lyrically deal a lot more with the forest, vikings, etc.
there we have it, a quick break down of black metal.

now back to opeth fans!
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 07:04 PM

*Raises hand very high* Big Opeth fan over here that listens to to Death (and any other) Metal.
But its weird, I keep forgetting the Opeth that made the Damnation album is the same Opeth that recorded tunes like The Lepar Affinity and Black Rose Immortal and Bleak...
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Break Zero
But its weird, I keep forgetting the Opeth that made the Damnation album is the same Opeth that recorded tunes like The Lepar Affinity and Black Rose Immortal and Bleak...
yeah, i guess some ppl would think that to be strange. i can't say i do, as often as they slip mellow parts and songs on the albums. got to keep it interesting for the fans though.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 10:49 PM

I am an Opeth fan and I live for Death Metal! Opeth isn't really a Death Metal band though, if anything they're more of a Black Metal band. But overall, they're in their own class !

Opeth really got me into Death and Black metal. At first when I bought "Black Water Park" I hated the growl singing. A few days later I thought it wasn't too bad, then I thought it sounded kinda cool, then I liked to just listen to it a lot. Now, I practically live to sing the death growling! I don't know why, I just love it! The frontmen of Skinless, Severe Torture, Napalm Death, etc. are all great death singers.

Children of Bodom is Black Metal.

Yeah, the defining characteristics of metal subgenres are very small and often hard to understand. It takes a lot of reading, talking, and purchasing of metal cds to get a good grasp on the subgenres. Quite rediculus, but I love it! A new book called "The Complete Headbanging History of Metal" is a perfect read to understand the history of heavy metal. But I am know metal expert, so to speak. For example, I still haven't gained a solid grasp of what makes Melodic Death Metal.

Speaking of Melodic Death Metal, everyone check out a new band called The Black Dahlia Murder. Many people call them Melodic Death, but they sound like Black to me. Whatever, just check them out.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

i have a hard time understanding why The Black Dahlia Murder are called melodic metal. they sound like a combo of at the gates and hate eternal.

to be honest i have never even heard of that subcategory. which goes to show why there shouldn't be any at all; they're growing and it's getting bad.

ok, here's the real metal fan test... has anyone ever heard impaled northern moon forest?
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 10:13 AM

You mean the Grindgore band Impaled?
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

just talking about this band makes me laugh.

no, the whole name is "impaled northern moon forest". you'd have to make a new category to put this in.

it's actually a "side project" of the guys that were in anal c**t. good for a laugh, check it out if you can.

edit - whoops, didn't know that part of the band name would be censored!
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsharp777
Opeth is one of my top 3 favorite bands ever! I'm seeing them play tomorrow night in Seattle with Porcupine Tree also. I can't wait!
Revsharp, I caught the P Tree/Opeth show in Los Angeles last week. Simply amazing. P Tree just gets better with every performance. Opeth focused on their quieter material for this tour only. Several fans of Opeth were VERY vocal about the lack of heavy songs in their setlist that night, but I already knew what to expect. They are performing "Damnation" in its entirety and a handful of other 'ballads' from their other albums ("Face of Melinda", "Benighted", and one or two others). I was also treated to a cover of "Soldier of Fortune". Opeth to me are one of those bands that defy description. Looking forward to their next release. At this point, I think they could play with harmonicas and banjos and find a loyal audience to support it.

Tags
death metal , heavy metal , metal subgenres , playing guitar , prog rock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

do attic fans really cool

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode