ozzy's new guitarist (gus g) - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Banned

ozzy's new guitarist (gus g)

so what do you guys think of this gus g cat.ive never heard of him before,they say hes the new ozzy guitarist.would have been nice to see jake e lee in the band again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 03:48 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: ozzy's new guitarist (gus g)

I don't think Jake would ever go back to Ozzy He was my favorite of all of them, and I would love to see it, but he didn't have a great tenure with the Oz Man!

Just youtubed some Ozzy stuff and the sad thing is Ozzy isn't Ozzy anymore Which sucks for Gus G.

Gus G has a kind of early Zakk look a bit, and no one has been able to play the Jake parts better than Jake...But he's not bad. I mean the guy can certainly play, and it's nice to not see and hear Zakks typical riffage...

But damn Ozzy sounds like a hundred miles of bad @ss

Last edited by DEADTUNES666; 04-21-2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: More thoughts...
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 04:30 PM

Reviews: 18
Re: ozzy's new guitarist (gus g)

Here are my thoughts on the subject:

Gus G is no doubt a phenomenal guitar player. He is technically proficient on the instrument, dare I say more so than any previous ozzy guitarist? The problem for me is: Gus G doesn't strike me as totally original. His stuff with fire-wind was cool.. but nothing groundbreaking to say the least. Also, he doesn't seem to bring anything new to the ozzy tunes. Zakk Wylde put his stamp on the ozzy songs randy did and made them his own, I have yet to see that with Gus G. Quite frankly, I'm not sure if its even possible for him to add anything new. His style is incredibly generic to me. Even when hes playing songs like crazy train or no more tears, he sounds more like hes just up there doing a karaoke performance.. No wow factor for me.

I guess only time will tell.. I don't think its possible for Gus to destroy ozzy's career any further.
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 07:45 PM

Reviews: 1

Ozzy dumped Zakk because he said the music was sounding too much like Black Label Society. So he gets this new guy Gus. Yesterday, I heard the brand new one from Ozzy and guess what?
It sounds just like "I Don't Want To Stop" including the spooky chromatic guitar line- it's just like Zakk. So why boot a proven guitar god and then duplicate the last big hit with some new guy and tell us all you don't want to sound like Zakk anymore. What a disgrace. Sharon should be flogged for this one.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post
Gus G
Yawn.....
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
So why boot a proven guitar god .
I think you took it a bit too far on that .... Zakk may be a good guitar player but a "Guitar God"? Um, I don't think so.

Jimmy
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 09:19 PM

Oddly I heard the new song yesterday as well and it sounded "different", but I knew it was OZZY...and it was listenable...but the guitar playing,while proficient, was "underwhelming". The guitar playing was okay but I kept waiting for...well..."more"...and it just wasn't there.

I couldn't help but think it was the first time I recall Ozzy's Voice being the dead center focal point of a...mixed way more out front than any of the guitar playing in the song, unlike w/Zakk or Randy.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Ozzy dumped Zakk because he said the music was sounding too much like Black Label Society. So he gets this new guy Gus. Yesterday, I heard the brand new one from Ozzy and guess what?
It sounds just like "I Don't Want To Stop" including the spooky chromatic guitar line- it's just like Zakk. So why boot a proven guitar god and then duplicate the last big hit with some new guy and tell us all you don't want to sound like Zakk anymore. What a disgrace. Sharon should be flogged for this one.
I'm with you on that one. Like i said before, Gus G is far more technically established on the instrument than Zakk, but zakk and ozzy have become synonymous. I'm thinking this might be like the previous episode where zakk was replaced because ozzy wanted to be more "creative."
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
I think you took it a bit too far on that .... Zakk may be a good guitar player but a "Guitar God"? Um, I don't think so.

Jimmy
If your judging your opinion based simply on technique, then its far from what is considered godly by today's standards. You can watch dozens of players on youtube who can play faster and more complex stuff, but a "guitar god" is more than just a technician. His accomplishments and achievements throughout the years are definitely noteworthy.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Sharon should be flogged for this one.

Inter alia.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 07:48 AM

Gus is an awesome player, but nothing on earth can save Ozzy's voice at this point.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 08:54 AM

yeah oz is gettin old , the voice just doesn't do things it did with sabboth . oz has never been the greatest singer but that is my opinion .

i think it may take gus a little time to find his place with oz. gus seems a little more mild on the personality side and he went from firewind a greek power metal band that a lot of people dont know about to ozzy. Gus is an awsome player dont get me wrong but i am sure he is just trying to not F up the songs.

i personlly really like firewind and gus's playing on the albums. He doesn't kill the song with super heavy technical guitar riffs that are always in your face or 5 minuet long guitarr solos. With firewind it is more about the band and song and less about how good of a guitar player gus is. It makes the music more marketable and easier to listen to if you dont play guitar. Again my opinion .
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 09:12 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Gus G is a great player but I think Ozzy should stop trading guitarists and get a singer!
Cause all his bands never had a singer.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 09:49 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: ozzy's new guitarist (gus g)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
Gus G is a great player but I think Ozzy should stop trading guitarists and get a singer!
Cause all his bands never had a singer.
So then what would Ozzy do? Manage the band or just watch Dead Poets Society?
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 01:31 PM

LOL

I don't know how much "magic" was used on Ozzy's voice on the record. Don't know if Gus G will have the "personality" to be an Ozzy guitarist like Zakk, Jake, Randy... I personally don't think so, but all the best to the guy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode