Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Paul Gilbert Ibanez clinic tour in Australia

9K views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  RACERXrg550 
#1 ·
Anyone seeing Paul in Australia over the next week or so? I've got my tickets for the Canberra one next Thursday, cannot wait to see him! I'll hopefully be filming the show too.

#5 ·
Well heres the dates off his offical website:

I will then travel to Australia to do clinics for Ibanez Guitars. The dates and cities are:

Feb. 26th - Moolooba Music, Moolooba QLD
Feb. 28th - Better Music, Canberra
March 1st - Music Workshop, Melbourne VIC
March 3rd - Muso's Corner, Newcastle NSW
The closest one to me is in Newcastle, and thats a monday, and i have school :mad: Damn oh well next time. :(

#12 ·
Hope the pictures are ok. Paul is an awesome guy, handled the occassional fruitcake with stupid waste of time questions really well. Just sucked that those people wasted it when there would have been plenty of people (including me) who had great questions that they wanted to ask.

He came out and first started out by playing his most famous solo (To Be With You) :lol:. Very funny guy. Played Down to Mexico just with guitar and voice, played tonnes off the new album, busted out Scarified, and Technical Difficulties. And also played The Curse of Castle Dragon.

Awesome awesome night, saw some of the new 2008 product (including 24 fret S, 7 String Xiphos, new Edge Zero equipped RGs, etc). Didn't really get a play as the missus came as well, and she's 7 months pregnant and was really tired.

Met Paul, told him about our unborn baby first rocking out to music when listening to Burning Organ, he thought that was really cool! :)

I've got some video as well, I'll see if I can work out a way to get that up too. :)

#16 ·
Enjoy you guys still to see Paul.

What was really cool as well is that apparently Canberra has the largest turnouts for any of these things in the country. Canberra ROCKS! and I'm guessing it's because Canberra is a relatively small city, so word gets around quick, and because barely anyone comes to Canberra, when they do everyone turns up.

#24 ·
Paul forgot his anatomy. Made a joke of it and it was hilarious :D. But to get it I think you had to be there.

Has Paul talked about his switch to Marshalls at all at these clinics? I can't wait to hear his new album to see how his tone has changed.
He did. Basically he said he changed because the Marshall's give a more "full" sound. Notes sound more "full", they're not so clean-cut-"metal", notes sound bigger. That kinda thing.

#30 · (Edited)
I agree with ET. The tone was definitely Marshall, and I thought occasionally he would've benefited from having some compression (dead notes etc), but overall it still sounded like Paul just bigger, and still sounded amazing. (that said, I've only ever heard the DVD Space-Ship Live as reference...)

I dunno if he said this in Sydney, but at Geelong he said he realised he needed a change when he was on the G3 tour with Satch and Petrucci, and he felt like his playing wasn't cutting through, so he did some research and ordered the Marshall online.
He didn't mention that specifically. Well, I don't remember him mentioning it. The main thing I remember him mentioning about G3/Joe was playing a semi-hollow and the thing going nuts when he wandered over into Joe's wall of sound area.

...Also admired the way he handled the mo-fo who asked about "Whats with the cowbells at the start of each song?", and "Whats with the F-holes on your guitar, does it make you a better player?".
I cringed when that was asked. lol. Oh and the, "Shouldn't we all say 'OI!' instead of 'yeah' seeing as we're in Ooorrssstraayllia?"

More pics:
"...or you can go across the body"

#29 ·
Honestly the best value for $20 I've spent in a while.... 2.5 hrs of live performance + guitar lesson + comedy routine by Gilbo! Truly talented musician and performer.

I thought his tone sounded a bit fuller than usual, but it still "sounded" like Paul, the technique and pick attack etc. still made more difference than the amp. Yeh I liked it.

Also admired the way he handled the mo-fo who asked about "Whats with the cowbells at the start of each song?", and "Whats with the F-holes on your guitar, does it make you a better player?".

+1 on the "Upper Knee..." LMAO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.