Is Paul Gilbert with Marshall now? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Is Paul Gilbert with Marshall now?

His website's news section, that he writes, says he is doing a bunch of Marshall booth guitar show demos. Is he with Marshall now? What was wrong with Laney I wonder? I never would figure he'd switch to Marshall, but who knows whats up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 09:02 AM

Re: Is Paul Gilbert with Marshall now?

Yes he's been with Marshall since the G3 tour last year. The link on his website to Laney has also been removed. I am surprised also!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Wow! That's a turn. I mean, with all due nicety to Marshall fans, but that company has gone tits up recently in my opinion. Even a year ago or so, Paul himself answered an email from me telling me that the Laney was so important to achieving his signature tone.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 09:29 AM

Reviews: 3

Yeah, but then Marshall released the vintage modern, which is basically the GH series with a marshall logo on it.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Oh yeah like the GH? Maybe they gave Paul a lot of money to switch too. They really need some good endorsees. I mean who amazing still plays Marshall?
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
Oh yeah like the GH? Maybe they gave Paul a lot of money to switch too. They really need some good endorsees. I mean who amazing still plays Marshall?
No one, really. Ive tried most of the amps in the Marshall lineup, and I can honestly say I never liked a single one except this one tube combo which was 2800 dollars...and even that one only had moderately good tone. I'll take my pod xt coupled with my atomic reactor all-tube amp (total = $1000) any day!
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
Yeah, but then Marshall released the vintage modern, which is basically the GH series with a marshall logo on it.
Exactly.

Another reason he made the change to Marshall is because when he's doing clinics, he can rarely find a Laney GH head and cab in stock for him to use (when he's not using his own). Whereas 99% of the time there's always a Marshall around of some sort that suits his needs.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 01:01 PM

He is on the marshall website now, under their artist section.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.godfather View Post
Exactly.

Another reason he made the change to Marshall is because when he's doing clinics, he can rarely find a Laney GH head and cab in stock for him to use (when he's not using his own). Whereas 99% of the time there's always a Marshall around of some sort that suits his needs.
Laney's US Distribution has sucked since Hoshino USA stopped doing it. Dealers couldn't get amps hardly at all from 2000 until recently.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 01:26 PM

Touring with Satch and Petrucci made him realise that he needed to think about his tone alot more.

He's using Vintage Modern Combo's on tour too.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 02:18 PM
dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
Marshall don't pay endorsees.
They just don't.
You get the amps at cost or something and distributors will lend you stuff for clinics and concerts but no one gives you a penny.

By the way just to put some perspective here if you are into metal chances are 90% of your classic rock/metal albums were recorded with Marshalls.

All AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, the first four Metallica albums, Megadeth, Jimi, The Who, Guns 'n Roses, Kiss, Aerosmith, Satch, etc, etc. and all those who switched did so after their best years.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 02:29 PM

He actually was having some amp and tone issues during rehearsals for G3 '07and it spilled over into the few run of gigs. After that first leg was done.. he was very vocal about wanting to explore Marshall and drop the Laneys. I believe he's going to be doing a performance at the Marshall display during Namm next week.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Marshall don't pay endorsees.
They just don't.
You get the amps at cost or something...
Yep, I get mine at cost under my (rather loose) endorsement agreement. Cool, Paul Gilbert and I have something else in common now (besides a warped sense of humour).

The story goes that the only endorser to get a free amp was Slash - even Zakk Wylde and Kerry King have to pay for their signature amps.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 09:47 PM

Wow. Just wow

"Who amazing still plays Marshalls?"

followed by

"No one really".
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 01:13 AM

The only Marshall worth having is a mid to late 70's non master volume plexi...

Tags
hoshino usa , iron maiden , jeff beck , kerry king , marshall amp , marshall dsl , paul gilbert , tube amp , tube combo , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode