Paw-2 - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Paw-2

Hi All......I was just wondering if there is anyone else out there that is STILL waiting for PAW II?? PAW was my fav of ALL Steve's releases and I really miss those daze! I remember what a HUGE let down Sex and Religion was for me. Total crap! Then ALS came out and renewed my enthusiasm. But since then I think the releases have been so so and getting worse as they go. Steve is getting farther and farther out there with each release. I only like listening to 3 songs off the new Reflections release -
Building a Church, Glorious & Lotus Feet. (Steve always could produce a beautiful ballad) but most of the others are just too far out there for me and I cant stand when he sings, lol. He has a totally different sound / tone now with everything. I know to stay popular you need to change up things now and then. Maybe I am just being anal and closed minded, but come on Steve, bring back some of the old glory days and give us PAW II. Sorry for dreaming out loud fellow Jemsters Anyone else out there feel as I do???

PS - I did see Vai on April 19th here and it was the best Vai show I have seen to date so he definitely hasn't lost anything when he plays live!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 12:07 PM

Re: Paw-2

Jim, things changes and i don't think we will see something similar as what Vai did on PAW. I think he could do something similar but, don't you think it will sound "artificial"?
He's not the same and his music changes with him. PAW is, at present, THE album.

But it's true that I thought the same first time I hear Satriani's "Surfin with the Alien" and then "the extremist" was released...

We'll keep the faith!
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Ivan, I know you are right......but it's okay to dream now and then eh
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 12:21 PM

Life is made of dreams!
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 12:26 PM

I agree that PAW is easily his best album, but personally I think that Alive in an Ultra World and Real Illusions are his best two 'albums' since. I like to pick and choose songs from S&R, Fire Garden and the Ultra Zone, but I actually listen to these most recent offerings as wholes. 'Under it All' is such an amazing song, you can hear just how much he put into it, planning out the samples, orchestrating (sp?) the instruments, etc. Sure his style has changed, encompassing singing now and what not, but Real Illusions probably has some of his best examples of singing so far.

I've grown to like Sex and Religion quite a lot, or at least up to State of Grace (plus Rescue Me or Bury Me!). Go back and listen to In My Dreams With You, paying special attention to the last min or so. There is just so much going on, it's impressive that he managed to shape it all in such a way that everything is there, some things more subtle than others, but still there.

All just my own opinions of course, though I do hope you grow to like RI.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

RI actually has grown on me from when I first heard it but I cant listen to the whole thing. I agree "Under it All" is a very DEEP song, but I just can't get into Steve singing (unless it's on the guitar of course
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 01:59 PM

I have to admit some of it was a little difficult for me to get used to. It took a couple years for S&R to grow on me.

One thing that I've noticed in myself is that my tastes in music have changed a lot in the past 10 years.

Also, you have to look at it from this point of view: Would you feel satisfied playing the same sounding music over the years? So many people bash Yngwie because his sound never really changes. It's all fast, neo-classical... and that's it. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, I like the music he plays... but having one of his CDs is enough because I already know what the others are going to sound like.

Steve on the other hand, experiments a lot. I like that he's not afraid to explore areas that might not be very popular. Although it might not be the most comfortable transition for ALL of his fans, we are still able to apreciate the tremendous talent he has in his musical abilities. At the same time, as he changes, as his style may change, as well as the sound of his music, new fans will be attracted.

As for Real Illusions, I don't really care for the whole CD just yet. Honestly, I didn't like it at all when I first heard it, so I let it sit for a couple weeks after listening to it 3 times. Then I sat down and listened again. My favorites are Building the Church, Dying for your love, Lotus Feet, and Under it All. In Lotus Feet, my favorite part of that song is about 4:47.5 (That's four minutes, forty-seven seconds, and a half) into the song. Playing it on my computer at work, it doesn't do it so much for me, but listening to it in my car, that part of the song just sinks in really hard. It's one of the best pieces of music I have ever heard.

As for Steve's singing... sure he doesn't have the range many other popular singers are known for. That's why he plays guitar. His voice isn't bad, just not trained. However, it is very unique. Anyone listen to Queen? Brian May and Roger Taylor don't have the best voices on earth, but they're VERY unique and I think they sound really good.

All in all, I wouldn't mind hearing another PAW type album, but at the same time, I really do like the fact that every time a new Vai CD comes out, I don't know what to expect.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 02:24 PM

S&R is a great album :-)! Interesting follow up to PAW!

Regards

Andrť

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 03:48 PM

I must be one of the only people who hopes for something new and different every time a favorite artist puts a new CD out.

I love P&W. Always have since the day I got the album when I was in high school. But I don't want to see Steve duplicate the effort. It wouldn't be the same, some 15 years later, and it certainly wouldn't challenge Steve as an artist to rewind some 15 years and rehash where he's already been in his career. It won't push me as a player and it won't keep me interested in his music.

Walking a perfectly straight line and never deviating from that career path would be exceptionally boring and make for exceptionally boring music. Your favorite artists would come to take on a "been there, heard that" feeling. Nothing would be new! I like when an artist tries something new. I like when they change it up some. I like watching them grow and change. I like the changes in their albums to represent their different influences at the time they composed. It says something about the artist, about his music... and about where he might be heading.

Learn to listen to music - new or old, like it or hate it... listen to it with an open mind. Realize that people and players change and they'll rarely ever do the same thing twice. Who the hell would want the same thing over and over again? Bands that regurgitate the same garbage all the time are out there - I won't name names, but I don't care for unevolved bands.

Each Vai album since P&W has had something new for me. Something different for Steve. And I enjoy watching and listening to his evolution. Who'd want anything else for their fave artist, except to watch them grow and improve?

-R
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Some very good points there indeed. I wouldn't want Steve to do the same thing on every album for the exact reasons you guys are pointing out. Especially the Yngwie thing. It would just be nice to have some kind of a PAW REUNION ALBUM though not a duplicate for sure. It would be a new experiment all in it's own. I think you's can see where I'm going with this. Oh, and I see I forgot to put the IMHO in front of the S&R is total crap. No intents to offend any fellow Jemsters

Last edited by JJEMMER777; 06-07-2005 at 04:37 PM.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 04:39 PM

Reviews: 3

Personally I think the best Vai era was since he joined DLR band to the Passion and Warfare album. His performings were shoking, his music visceral and his fingers were alive themselves. 3 of the best rock albums were composed during that years (Eat em, Slip of and PAW). For most people S&R was a hole in his carrer (I think he feels so too), but I really liked that cd. For me ALS is a special record because a discovered Steve thanks to Juice and sincerelly its the nearest thing to PAW, being different, being visceral and being great. In fact I do think that Steve can made great things as PAW without being a copy. From Fire Garden to Real Illusions walking trough Ultra Zone and Alive in an Ultraworld he has composed nice albums, any composer would be really happy with that, but they have some weak points that take them to a downgrade comparing to PAW. Anyways Steve is the best for me, but I still waiting for something that makes me feel similar to the day a listened... Heads up!
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 04:40 PM

Absolutely... I know what you mean about wanting to hear more. The novelty of PAW will never wear off for many of us, because of what it was when it came out, and how it made a lot of us feel.

I think the 7th songs on all the albums are all a continuation of PAW in a way. Going back to the roots of the ballads. If I may be blashpemous... and I may, I like Lotus Feet more than FTLOG. It's just a different feel for me : )
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777
Some very good points there indeed. I wouldn't want Steve to do the same thing on every album for the exact reasons you guys are pointing out. Especially the Yngwie thing. It would just be nice to have some kind of a PAW REUNION ALBUM though not a duplicate for sure. It would be a new experiment all in it's own. I think you's can see where I'm going with this. Oh, and I see I forgot to put the IMHO in front of the S&R is total crap. No intents to offend any fellow Jemsters
None take .

Regards

Andrť

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 06:17 PM

Reviews: 5

I think at this point in his career- any attempt to reproduce Passion and Warfare would be seen as "PAW Part Deux: The Search for More Money"

He's been there. How much more overprocessed lydian shred over rock-orchestra do you want to hear? There's only so many ways to repeat the same musical idea and I think he got it done on P&W the first time.

I'm pretty glad that Steve has moved on, and personally think Real Illusions demonstrates a renewed commitment to making consistent albums.

I'm one of those guys who typically likes one or two songs per album from Vai. They're so good that I consider him my biggest influence on guitar. But with Real Illusions, I like the majority of the album.

Building the Church, Glorious, K'm Pee Du Wee, Freak Show Excess, Lotus Feet, and Under It All are favorites and even the singing ones are ok, except Firewall which just sounds sort of juvenile and lame.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

That's the great thing about being human......diverse opinions abound

Tags
fire garden , lotus feet , pat metheny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode