Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Petrucci rock discipline video

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  tuggey 
#1 ·
Ok, so I've seen this in my local music shop and it's been sat there for ages at £48. I'm intrigued because obviously it's it's GOT to be good at that price.

The problem is that it's on VHS and I don't have a VHS player anymore. Is it worth me getting a hold of this? I would get another video player if it was.

What kind of stuff does it go through and most importantly, is it going to make your average shredder any better?

Cheers :mrgreen:

#5 ·
"What kind of stuff does it go through......"

It's a good instructional to have especially if you want to have some structure to your practice routine. You know, most players "warm-up" a little and end up just "noodling" for an hour or two.

Some things covered in Rock Discipline....
- Warm-up (via John's "stretching routine")
- Scale fragments
- Legato
- Sub-dividing beats (Good for those who don't use their metronomes)
- Different picking exercises to address "inside picking"
- Building up speed
- Sweep picking
- and a few others....

".....and most importantly, is it going to make your average shredder any better?"

Better at the different aspects of "shredding"? With lots of slow/focused practice....yes.

Is this the only lesson that will do that? No. If you want to learn a "showpiece" while working on different "shred techniques", I'd recommend Michael Angelo's "Speed Lives". Basically his tune "No Boundaries" broken down into 27 sections.

It's one thing to learn exercises, and licks, but I feel it's important to see how they work strung together in a complete tune.

Hope that helps.

#7 ·
Hey guys, Here in the states when I bought it it was $49.00usd. That is expensive for a video/dvd over here too. Just an opinion. Its worth it. There is alot of material and even some live stuff to show. I also bought a book and cd called "Guitar World presents John Petrucci's Wildstringdom". I only paid about 15 dollars for it and it covers a great deal of the same stuff. I just wanted to give you a different option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.