Picking Question please...some help needed - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Picking Question please...some help needed

I've realised that my 'alternate picking' could be wrong.

Basically I do the down-up-down-up technique but when it comes to going down to the next string my next pick is always down, even if the previous pick stroke was down...therefore breaking the strict down-up-down-up motion.

Same thing when coming back up, if I am ascending a scale everytime I go up a string it's on an up stroke.

Is this wrong? I tried to change it and it's so ingrained in me that it's like relearning the damn guitar!

Please share your picking technique...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 07:06 AM

Re: Picking Question please...some help needed

Well its not 'wrong' its just a different style. Its called economy picking (sp?). Its normal, I know loads of 'famous' shredders use it. I personally use alternate but every so often i'll economy

Reece
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 08:22 AM

Has it been comfortable for you the old way though, or are you changing because you feel it's holding you back??

As they say......practice,practice and more practice

Once it's natural you'll probably find the old way will feel awkward

The old Paul Gilbert instructional vids were good for picking technique
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 08:50 AM

The only player Ive noticed using both alternate and economy is michael romeo, it gives a very fluient sound while your going through the scale (fast that is) whereas when alt picking, people tend to play in pronounced threes like gilbert does alot instead of playing a whole scale with no breaks or acsented notes.

I think you should play how youve always played and you'll have a very unique style, just keep practising it until you can get it fast and fluent.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the helpful comments...

I recently got the Frank Gambale Chopbuilder dvd and it highlighted alot of my picking flaws.

I think 'my' picking method is working ok but you never know if it's holding you back or not. I tried doing the proper alternate and could not get it down...I guess it's something to focus on now.

Crevis, I think you're right there about it giving a different 'sound' - maybe a Paul Gilbert dvd should've been on the christmas list...any ideas which one?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 10:53 AM

Intense rock sequences and techniques 1 is the best video out there for learning the foundations of shred, he breaks down all the techniques and highlights the bits you caught up on and shows you how to overcome them. Its purely technique but its great for what it is, I think its a must watch for any shredder .
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 01:22 PM

I've noticed that economy picking sometimes gives you a triplet feel when picking three note per string patterns.

But yeah, you (Chimp) pick economy style. Al Di Meola once said that he thinks it is best to learn alternate picking first, then move into economy picking. I forgot where he said that, but I distinctly remember it.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 01:29 PM

I didnt figure it out until I had allready learnt how to sweep but learnning to play 2 and three string economy picking is a great way for alt pickers to learn how to sweep and to sweep with alot of control and eveness wich alot of sweepers lack. Get the 3 string down and then start sweeping 2 strings on the string changes and then 3 etc.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 08:54 PM

I believe strict alternate does make a cleaner sound. I began taking lessons just recently (after nearly 15 years of playing) and that's one of the aspects that I've improved drastically.

I too had the economy thing in my subconscious...the trick to get it out is to exaggerate the alternate, like swinging your pick hand very widely, so the string change is easy...with practice, it will become controlled, fast and clean
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 10:47 PM

there is something about the sound and the attack of all alternate picking that doesn't sound the same when economy picking. i suggest to anyone learning to work on alternate because i think it can only benefit you if you're looking to shred.
if you like the way frank gambale sounds then maybe that's what you should do, but it sounds like you are on the path to good alternate picking and i say stick with it, i don't think it will hold you back. most shredders out there tell us to learn and practice alternate picking.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 11:26 PM

As a perspective, marty freidman has never even contemplated his picking, its a real mixture of alternate and economy but he has no idea how he does it, just whatever is natural. but if you didnt know that you'd just think he was alt picking everything and he'd given it alot of thought to do some of the things he does.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 12:23 AM

Check out "Speed Kills" by Michael Angelo Batio. He covers a few different picking techniques. You might find it helpful.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekuss View Post
Well its not 'wrong' its just a different style. Its called economy picking (sp?). Its normal, I know loads of 'famous' shredders use it. I personally use alternate but every so often i'll economy

Reece
That sums it up - you are doing economy picking. There is nothing wrong about it and a lot of players use it. I always strictly alternate picked and didn't even know what economy picking was until about a year ago. I use it sometimes now, but rarely. The bottom line is if economy picking works for you and it sounds good, then it is good.

But if you want to strict alternate pick, here's a tip from Doug Doppler on his DVD(Doug took over teaching guitar from Joe Satriani after Satch quit doing it): he recommends saying "up" or "down" out loud as you pick when you practice. The idea is that what you say and what you do will be different and tell your brain you are messing it up. Give it a try and see if it works for you.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crevis View Post
As a perspective, marty freidman has never even contemplated his picking, its a real mixture of alternate and economy but he has no idea how he does it, just whatever is natural.
You know, I noticed that on a youtube vid...strange picking method (but obviously effective)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo Guitars View Post
Check out "Speed Kills" by Michael Angelo Batio. He covers a few different picking techniques. You might find it helpful.
I'm really not a Michael Angelo fan but I'm open to new techniques and advice, cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gu1tar View Post
But if you want to strict alternate pick, here's a tip from Doug Doppler: he recommends saying "up" or "down" out loud as you pick when you practice. The idea is that what you say and what you do will be different and tell your brain you are messing it up.
I got that DVD but haven't yet got to that bit yet.

Tags
alternate picking , angelo batio , doug doppler , frank gambale , joe satriani , michael angelo batio , michael romeo , paul gilbert , picking technique

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode