Pinch Harmonics - HELP!!!! - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2001, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Pinch Harmonics - HELP!!!!

I can't get these done!!!! *I get lots of problems when I try doing the pinch harmonics, or whammy bar squeals. *I just can't seem to hit that spot with my thumb. *Anyone please give me tips if you can!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2001, 05:26 PM

Pinch Harmonics

1. When i pinch a harmonic, i move my fingers closer to the tip of the pick so they touch and slightly mute the string(creating a harmonic tone) as i pick.

2. The second (also basic) way of doing it is to hold your left hand finger over a string, barely touching it, and then picking that string (followed by instantly removing that lefthand finger, so you dont mute the string ). Try 5:th, 7:th 12:th and their octaves, but it can be done on all frets, it jusst takes some more practice. while doing this your holding right over the frets(as with a slide for example), not in between them as normal.

But my guess is that you allready knew those two...

(Edited by Jay Satriani at 5:34 pm on Sep. 15, 2001)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2001, 05:28 PM

Pinch Harmonics

Try choking up on your pick or changing the position you hold it. It may even be a bad form that you are using to pick... these bad habits can beging when you first start playing and just stick with you..

Otherwise, try experimenting with some different picks and mm sizes as well. also be sure to play a few different guitars and see what type of PH's you are able to produce.. Sometimes it can be some of the above techniques coupled along with a fretboard radius that is unnatural to your playing abilities....
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2001, 05:30 PM

Pinch Harmonics

The third way is to slightly mute the string in question with the palm of your hand after/while picking a tone. But this also takes alot of time to learn. And after years of playing it will be a natural thing. To bad i cant say it is for me yet... hehehhe
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2001, 06:45 PM

Pinch Harmonics

Once you learn them, pinch harmonics are second nature, but for someone learning them, I think it is a fairly difficult thing to explain with only text.

As Scott said, try different picks. I use Fender picks, so I don't know the mm measurements, but in those terms, anything less than a "Heavy" won't cut it. I personally use "Extra Heavy" ones. As far as pick size, the smaller the better, I say, as far as overall control goes. I used to use the Fender Teardrop Jazz picks, which are tiny!

As far as hitting the 'sweet spot,' keep trying. They're always hiding, and they change with every note.

Jay, your #2 method is not actually pinch harmonics, rather it is another similar technique called harp harmonics. Check out some of Eric Johnson's stuff; he has some cool lines that alternate between that and fretted notes.

Hope it helps,
-Justin
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2001, 06:51 PM

Pinch Harmonics

Guess i should have noted that i use Jim Dunlop Jazz 3 and Stubby 2.0, witch are small and thick picks...

Yes i knew about that #2, but added it because
Js Clone 2 also asked about the wammy bar squeel, witch can be done with that method..
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2001, 06:53 PM

Pinch Harmonics

Oh, oops, those aren't harp harmonics, those are natural harmonics! :doh:

-Justin
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2001, 06:56 PM

Pinch Harmonics

Another way of making a harmonic tone appear is to pick a tone, then tapp the octave on the same string. But dont do a normal tap, just lightly touch the string, and there will be harmonic magic.... *
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2001, 06:58 PM

Pinch Harmonics

I'll add that, for that method, you have to tap over the fret lightly, not where you would tap normally.

-Justin
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2001, 11:11 PM

Pinch Harmonics

It doesn't matter what kind of pick you use. *That's the biggest bullsh!t I've ever heard. *L* It depends on placement, just like your 12th fre/5th/7th/9th fret harmonics...extended beyond the fretboard and onto the theoretical fretboard, above the pickups. *Work on placement.

It depends on the pick you use...sheesh...what bs.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2001, 11:17 PM

Pinch Harmonics

Quote:
Quote: from J ackson on 11:11 pm on Sep. 15, 2001
It doesn't matter what kind of pick you use. *That's the biggest bullsh!t I've ever heard. *L* It depends on placement, just like your 12th fre/5th/7th/9th fret harmonics...extended beyond the fretboard and onto the theoretical fretboard, above the pickups. *Work on placement.

It depends on the pick you use...sheesh...what bs.
I'm not going to counter rudeness with rudeness, but I will say that if you use a thinner pick, you will likely have to exert more force (i.e., a harder grip) on it. So if you've a lazy hand, get a heavy pick! :laugh:

-Justin
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2001, 11:36 PM

Pinch Harmonics

who's being rude? *I'm just honest. *The pick don't matter. *Placement does.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2001, 11:39 PM

Pinch Harmonics

Even if you'd say that about pinch harmonics, would you honestly use a thin pick for anything else? :biggrin: Those things click way too much to be useful!

-Justin
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2001, 08:54 AM

Pinch Harmonics

more info on this topic
:read:

http://jemsiteforum.com/board/topic....9&topic=55
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2001, 10:34 PM

Pinch Harmonics

If you can get them to squeal at least some of the time, practice them on an acoustic. *Once you get it down, go back to your electric and it will seem like cake.

Tags
eric johnson , fretboard radius , jim dunlop , les paul , pinch harmonics , scale lengths

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode