Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon"

i had never heard this record and everyone said it was a masterpiece.
i recently borrowed it from a friend of mine. i heard it, and well didnt quite grasp the whole "masterpiece" concept.
can anyone tell me....when i listen to this record, what am i looking for??
id like to see whats so good about it...honest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 02:50 PM
Vendor

It is a masterpiece, of music. Not shred, not blues, just pure "music". If you need a little help to understand it drop a couple tabs of blotter and listen to it for 24 hours straight [or until the trip wears off]

Pink's Meddle album also highly recomended while still under the effect.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 10:40 PM

What's so great about Pink Floyd? Well you somewhat either love it, or dislike it... but the main thing is being high while chillin to them tunes.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 11:09 PM

An absolute masterpiece. Although for the psychadelic effect, I prefer Shine On, You Crazy Diamond from Wish You Were Here.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

i heard some of it and it sounds quite average to me. nothing special. i asked my guitar teacher and he said that i had to think of it as if i were in the 70's, but really if u think about it, being objective and all the thing is out of date. i heard it and didnt hear anything special...sorry.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 11:17 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
ROTF.

maybe try to listen again... it is a masterpiece beyond any "shred" album ever created, or likely ever to be created. ...glen
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8r g8r
An absolute masterpiece. Although for the psychadelic effect, I prefer Shine On, You Crazy Diamond from Wish You Were Here.
One of my favourite PF songs no doubt...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7
i heard some of it and it sounds quite average to me. nothing special. i asked my guitar teacher and he said that i had to think of it as if i were in the 70's, but really if u think about it, being objective and all the thing is out of date. i heard it and didnt hear anything special...sorry.
Its not about skill. Its about melody, and abstract ideas. IF you try to equate your own creations to that album, you'll find out how good the album is...Possibly
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 06:34 AM

god i love that album
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 08:24 AM

Agreed- a fantastic album. No show-offs, no "look ma! I'm-a-shreddin'!". Just great songs from beginning to end that keep you listening. I was totally hooked on Floyd for the longest time.
We all did the 'Wizard of Oz' thing with DSotM, right?

-Ben
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 08:35 AM

Classic album. A couple of my favorite guitar solos are in "Money" and "Time".

You really need to experience it while watching Wizard of Oz. Turn off the movie volume, and sync the album up with the movie after the third lion roar in the MGM screen in the beginning of the film, and enjoy.

Coincidence? Absolutely! But give it a whirl...

1. When Dorothy runs away from home, the line "No one told you when to run" from the song "Time" is heard.
2. The tornado scene begins just as "The Great Gig in the Sky" starts playing. The song lasts for the entire duration of the storm.
3. The female singer begins moaning, her voice rising and falling in time with the mood of the tornado scene.
4. When "Great Gig" ends, the first side of the album also ends (not valid when using a CD).
5. "Money" begins as Dorothy opens the door and sees Oz. The black and white part of the film ends at this point and begins in color.
6. The lyics "Don't give me that do-goody-good bullsh*t" are heard as Glinda the good witch floats down in her bubble.
7. The dancing ballerinas seem to keep time with the rhythm in "Us and Them."
8. "Brain Damage" becomes the backdrop for the scarecrow scene where he's singing "If I Only Had a Brain."
9. The album ends with a heartbeat, as Dorothy presses her ear to the Tin Man's chest to listen for a heart.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 04:26 PM
ns9

Hi!
Wow- Wizard of Oz. Never heard that before, and wonder what prompted the first person to look for that. Wonder how many of us will actually try what u outlined? I know I will, but will have to get a copy of WOO to try.

Masterpiece? Absolutely. It is not any one "component" of the entire picture. It is the lyrics, the playing, the mood, composition, etc. ALL of it. Throw on some headphones, and "turn off" the rest of the world. Or grab the dvd version (audio) of it and put yourself in a dark room with (at least) a competent 5.1 system. Some of us older jemsiters may have actually had the oppourtunity to see 'em perform it live, which opens another dimension to it. Just the lyrics alone are gold- multiple meanings/interpretations, and they paint a picture of life itself, for any age or era. And the guitar playing? I am a huge Gilmour fan. Expressive is such an understatement.

One urban myth I have heard is that Dark Side... is the most used album (obviously LP/vinyl only) for deseeding Pick up a used copy, open, and smell the inside spine area- hehehehe....

Going forward a bit with Pink Floyd...
Years ago some friends and I had a small party (about 6-7 of us), and we decided to drop and watch The Wall. After giving things enough time to start the ride, revved up the vcr (pre-dvd days), and about 20 minutes into The Wall, the TV sparked and almost caught fire. We replaced the larger TV with a smaller one, put it right on top of the "dead" one. Different outlet, extension cord. Same thing. We moved out to the living room, and tried on yet a third TV. This time it went black, and the sound was all funky. After trying to figure out what was up, we decided to go with some Bugs Bunny cartoons (vhs tape) instead. Worked fine, and ended getting a ticket for distrubing the peace at 1am (evidently we were laughing too loudly). Not an apartment- a house, next house was about 50 yards away. Go figure. Next day, we tried The Wall again, played fine. Rod Serling would have smiled....

Nikki
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 05:04 PM

One of my favourite quotes about David Gilmour (which i'll paraphrase):

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody
Sure, anybody can play David Gilmour's parts... but how many people could have written them?
Pink Floyd were masters of composition and melody, and really pushed the limits of progressive music in the 70s.

I don't care much for the 70s vibe myself (i can't stand the production and engineering on most "classic rock" recordings), but i can definitely appreciate it as a very powerful artistic achievement.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 04:57 AM

thing with pink floyd...people never really GOT the music. Rule #1, if you don't get it....go back to it with more drugs.... Rule #2 repeat.

Tags
david gilmour , guitar playing , pink floyd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode