Pinky flying off the fretboard!! - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Pinky flying off the fretboard!!

What can I do to keep my pinky from flying off the fretboard? I've tried playing slow to keep it from raising high off the fretboard, but nothing is working! Can you guys offer any suggestions? It really screws my playing up..the other 3 fingers work fine, just not my pinky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 10:28 PM
EKG

The old saying....

Practice, practice, practice.

You can try trilling with your:
Index and pinky
middle and pinky
ring (3rd) and pinky

get it used to being involved ;-)

I've noticed Clapton has a wandering pinky, too
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 12:01 AM

typically pinky problems are caused by thumb problems. That is how you are holding the neck of the guitar. Some positions make your hand have to move in some ways to get in other positions. Try keeping the thumb in the middle of your hand when holding the neck.

Also it really doesn't matter if your pinky comes up, as long as you are fast enough to get it bck to where it should go! I've seen many a good fast player have the pinky problem, but didn't seem to be bothered by it at all. I was when I first started playing. I over came it by watching for good form while holding the neck and doing triplet hammers and pulls with the last 3 fingers!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2003, 08:17 PM

The one thing I've found that has helped my own flying pinky problem is a fundamental element- removing tension. When you remove tension from the equation guitar playing, your playing becomes cleaner, more accurate, and more relaxed. When you are relaxed, you have more control and thus more finger independence. You'll notice a big improvement in your playing if you become COMPLETELY relaxed in your playing. I highly suggest it. And applying chromatic exercises with just your index, middle, and pinky fingers (sans thumb) helps a hell of a lot too. Good luck!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2003, 09:43 PM

^^^^^^^^very, VERY true.

cheers!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 06:33 AM

Has'nt this been discussed already recently?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 06:42 AM

Yeah, but it doesn't hurt to restate it

It's like a zen thing...until you finally achieve total relaxation whilst playing you don't understand how it benefits you. The first time it really clicks is like a 'eureka' moment. It tooks me years and years of playing to get there, even though I thought I 'was' relaxed.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 10:21 PM

You've achieved nirvana!

cheers!

Tags
guitar playing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode