playing without pick - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 04:40 AM Thread Starter

playing without pick

Is playing without pick consider a "correct" way to play? I feel it more comfortable playing without playing pick. Anyway do not get me wrong, I am not playing with my 4 fingers aka spanish style, I am playing it with the position of holding pick but without holding and pick and pluck strings with my 1st finger. Is there any famous artist that play that way? What is the downside of this? Oh yeah one more thing, I got very short nails so its literally impossible to "alternate pick" without the usage of pick.

Last edited by Jing; 01-12-2006 at 04:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 05:15 AM

Re: playing without pick

Yep, Mark Knopfler plays without a pick.

Playing without a pick alters the sound because you don't get the attack and snapiness you would with a pick. Also it makes certain techniques (artificial harmonics, etc.) very difficult to play.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 09:34 AM

Lots of country players also go pickless (or use a combination of pick & fingers). Just to clarify what I think you meant: you CAN get snappiness & attack (listen to those country players!). But it's a different kind of "attack" & "snap".
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 09:38 AM

Yeah true, I know what you are saying.

I was being pretty single-minded because I was thinking about shredding
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 11:55 AM

There is no real correct way to play guitar, it's all up to the individual.

I didn't use a pick for years as I found it more difficult to start off with. It pays to know how to use a pick however (especially if you want to get different sounds out of your guitar).

Play however you like, even if it means playing with ya toes. You can also develop different techniques later.

Lance
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 11:57 AM

By the way, I alternate pick without a pick... it is tricky but I learnt as I am useless at keeping plectrums for longer than a week.

As long as your fingernails aren't painfully short, you will be able to do it with some practise.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Are u guys playing it with all 4 fingers? Or the same way im playing? I can only use one finger
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 12:35 PM

Best thing to do here... just learn to use a pick.

6 Months down the road you'll look back and be glad you did!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 10:33 AM

I can do both quite happily, depends what you want to do really.

You cant go playing shred without a pick, but ill quite easily play blues and jazz stuff without a pick.

I still rather a pick though, just depends if i can find one
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 11:19 AM

i think it depends on what style/sound you're after. if you're on this site, you probably dig vai or satriani's music. if thats what you want to play, go with the pick. or, a guy like brent mason (country session player) uses thumb and one finger. i believe he uses fingerpicks, which might be something you want to consider. you don't HAVE to choose one over the other, though. why not be able to do both?

Tags
mark knopfler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode