Please recommend me some instructional dvds and books - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Please recommend me some instructional dvds and books

Hi there!

I've been playing guitar for 13 years now. Past few years I didn't have as much time for it as I wanted to, but now I want to up my game a lot. I play mostly metal(Trivium, Slipknot, BFMV etc.) but I'm open to jazz and blues and other genres.What I'm looking for:

Excercises for guitarirsts that will help me develop speed and accuracy for both rythm and soloing. I'm familiar with John Petruccis Rock Discipline, and I like it a lot, but if there are others that are as good or even better I would like to know.

Secondly. I've learnt basic music theory, but I really want to broaden my knowledge. Learn all the chord progressions and scales. I've searched and I don't know about any good books or dvds on this subject, becuase I want to learn it through mostly guitar. So would be cool to have something that has fingerings on alls the scales and chords.

And thirdly something that will help me wiht improvisation, I really suck at it. I know it has to come from the heart and stuff....but to a degree it's learnable skill, how to find the right notes through a jam session.

Thank You All!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 11:41 AM
Mah

Re: Please recommend me some instructional dvds and books

Check Steve Stine stuff. He's great teacher!
Good Luck

J.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 11:47 AM

Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar by Troy Stetina
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 12:37 PM

Frank Gambale's Chop Builder. It's very simple and straightforward, but it has everything to get technique up to speed.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for he advcie guys!

Any really good music theory for guitar lesson dvds? I really need one
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 10:35 PM

Troy Grady's Cracking the Code Youtube channel and web series/program is pretty impressive material for alternate picking.

Tags
books , instructional dvds

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode