Point me in the right direction... - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Point me in the right direction...

hey guys i've been a mostly self taught player for around 6 years. Mainly a heavy rhythm player. I basically just got a guitar setup and started learning all my favorite bands music and making my own. I always kinda prided myself on being a "play what sounds good" player showing no interest in the correct way to play a guitar. (scales, modes, etc..) Well now i'm kinda changing my tune as my music interests are changing. Were should i start?

Last edited by a_nxiety; 12-05-2007 at 08:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 09:22 PM

Re: Point me in the right direction...

Best bet.... Find a good teacher! Let him evaluate your skills and set up lessons based on two things. Your skill level and what your goals are. Good luck and keep at it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemplayer55 View Post
Best bet.... Find a good teacher! Let him evaluate your skills and set up lessons based on two things. Your skill level and what your goals are. Good luck and keep at it.
+1
That's what I tell my friend. He's like you. He learned a lot by ear. But he doesn't know why it sounds good. He asks me where to start and I tell him the same thing that jemplayer55 said.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

alright i'll start trying to find a teacher locally. any good sites you can direct me to for now?

sick-boy: yes your friend sounds just like me. were prolly playing all kinds of scales and stuff we just have no idea let alone which ones.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_nxiety View Post
alright i'll start trying to find a teacher locally. any good sites you can direct me to for now?

sick-boy: yes your friend sounds just like me. were prolly playing all kinds of scales and stuff we just have no idea let alone which ones.
Yeah, it was pretty funny. He asked me what modes were one time. I said "You're kidding, right? I listen to you play them all the time." He didn't realize that he was switching back and forth from scales and modes when he soloed.

This site has helped me out a lot.
http://www.cyberfret.com/index.php

Especially this bad boy. This really helped out a lot.
http://www.cyberfret.com/scales/guitar-codex/index.php
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 10:52 PM

Reviews: 3

The most important thing to do when you're trying to approach music theory on guitar is to know the names of every note on the fretboard. On top of this, you can apply all that you'll learn about what you can do with them to your guitar.

The second most important thing, is to learn about intervals. Intervals are the key to understanding why scales sound the way they do, and what harmonies produce certain sounds, what works with what, etc. Basically, they are the answer to your question.

A good understanding of these two things, and you'll have a solid basis to enter the endlessly frustrating world of music theory. Still, after a while you'll come to realise that the best stuff still comes from the ear, and all this theory is just for explaining why it sounds good afterwards. Nevertheless, it'll get you out of many sticky improv situations, and makes the process of writing much easier.

Have a look here, http://www.ibreathemusic.com/article/31 and work through any articles that take your interest. And good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode