Practicing - clean or distorted? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Practicing - clean or distorted?

hey guys,

Im just wondering...do you guys practice scales, arps, sweep picking..etc..on a clean or distorted tone?

thanks,
Elliot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 07:51 PM

Reviews: 5
Practicing

both!

* practice clean to make sure you are articulating the notes clearly and to work on your accuracy

* practice distortion to learn how to control your tone, feedback and to produce the right vibrato, and harmonics.

Also, there are some passages that just don't sound right without the right tone. *So if you're practicing a phrase that doesn't sound right, make sure you try it out distorted and see if that isn't the difference.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Practicing

thanks a ton.
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 10:06 PM

Practicing

Here's something I noticed...

Practicing Clean- I do this 90% of the time I play guitar to concentrate on precise and accurate playing but I tend to get so involved on the mechanics I can't relax therefore hindering my max. potential---I know this for a fact because....

Practicing Distorted- I can concentrate more on the music (which its all about anyway right!) and play faster with as much accuracy as clean.

I still practice clean because I do want to be accurate and believe this or not but...PRACTICING SLOWLY DOES HELP (me at least). I noticed that if I practice say the A aeolian mode in 5th position for 20 min. at 112 bpm 16th notes I will be able to play faster and accurately when I crank the distortion instead of practicing it at 144bpm. That's just what I've found out (I think because you are playing it ACCURATELY so many times as opposed to "somewhat accurate")
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 04:10 PM

Practicing

Mostly I practice without an amp...usually in front of the TV or at the computer while reading the forum pr the newspaper.

Probably not good habits
~Kenny
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 04:47 PM

Practicing

Kenny, that's not harmful, but you need to practice with an amp with the volume reasonably up, so that you can hear any noise extra that you're making. Practicing without amp will make you believe that your technique is perfect, and you'll not mute al the undesired sounds because you can't hear them.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 11:13 AM

Practicing

I agree with CAT.
When turning up the volume there's so much undesired "noise" that can't be heard when playing more quiet or unplugged.

But I must admit that I also practice alot unplugged or more quiet. (don't want a fight with the neighbours )

As for playing clean or distorted, I also do both to enchance my technique.

Cheers,
Joten
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 03:01 PM

Practicing

There's more than just noise you need to address when practicing plugged versus unplugged. *If you are plugged in, your dynamics are much more evident. *More importantly though, you will find that the way you fret the note really shows, especially with your distorted tone. *Sometimes I can practice unplugged and think I am playing pretty good, but when I plug in using the same technique, it sounds bad through the amplifier. *I also think it is important to practice at the volume you would usually play at, as your amplifier will be a different animal in many aspects, not just noise.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 02:02 PM

Practicing

I practice with an amp plenty too, but MOST of my practicing is without an amp...thats an old trick that Eddie Van Halen claimed to use way back in the day, practising without an amp...
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 05:51 PM

Practicing

I practice clean through an amp whenever I am working on speed or technique about 80% of the time. *I play the other 20% with distortion so I can work on muting. *Of course, when I actually play a piece I use the appropriate amount of gain for it. *I have a very loud metronome for practicing my Rock Robotics.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 11:54 PM

Practicing

I am a big fan of both too....clean for tech and picking, etc....dirty for FUN!!!
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 11:35 PM

Reviews: 23
Re: Practicing - clean or distorted?

Guys, how about a dirt tone with more headroom, so that the notes would ring out clearer, but the imperfections of one's technique would also be audible when doing difficult licks? I personally find this the most challenging way to practice my complex chops.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 12:12 AM

I like my sound like I dig my women just a little dirty.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 10:18 AM

I normally practice both, but mostly unplugged. I need to put more effort into an unplugged guitar, particularly for trill and legato work, and what I've found is that when I plug in, and kick on the dist I can play a lot lighter and everything seems a bit faster and smoother.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 10:04 PM

Re: Practicing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe View Post
Mostly I practice without an amp...
Me too... and not nearly as often as I used to. My playing (which was never that great) has gone downhill as a result. I should be ashamed.

Tags
distorted tone , eddie van halen , sweep picking , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode