Practicing while seated - Bobby O teaches a good lesson - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Practicing while seated - Bobby O teaches a good lesson

I was looking at the jemFest pics and saw that Bob Oakman does something that I recently started doing (although I was told about it years ago).

here's the pic: http://jemfest.com/jemfest_2001/page...s/IMG_0088.htm

While seated, he holds the guitar on his LEFT knee, rather than his right. *This puts the guitar more in the position on his body where the guitar would be if he were standing up and playing, thus making hand positions more similar. *

Since I started doing this myself, i find my back hurts a lot less after practicing and that when I get to the gig, I'm more likely to play the solo i just learned at home correctly.

Anyone have aynthing to add to this? *Agree? Disagree?
~Kenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 12:33 AM

Practicing while seated

This is actually a proper technique for classical guitar, and I have tried it and also seen other people do it.

However, if you play standing with the guitar on the front of your body, and practice with it on your right leg, then you are doing two different things. *When I play standing up, I try to put the guitar off to the side like it is when I am seated, and I also wear it up high like I am seated...
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 01:46 AM

Reviews: 3
Practicing while seated

People have been doing this for a while. *I've heard many guitar teacher recomend this. *It makes perfect sense as you don't have your leg blocking lef-arm movement up the fretboard.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 10:24 AM

Practicing while seated

Yep, I've discovered the same thing. When the git is sitting on the right leg, it forces the fretting hand into a more uncomfortable angle when playing in the upper register.....The fretting arm is reaching too far over to the right side of the body. I prefer using the left leg as the ergonomics are more akin to the standing-up and playing technique.

* * * The only downside for me is that I have to twist my lower back a bit in order to accomodate the left leg approach.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 03:07 PM

Reviews: 2
Practicing while seated

I also find it more comfortable this way. It just feels weird on the right leg
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 06:02 PM

Practicing while seated

I've been playing classical guitar for a long time, and i play the electric guitar in the same position, on the left leg. For me there's no doubt... this is the most correct position for playing and i try to get the same position when i play standing up. First of all, when you are seated, you won't have your left leg in the way of your left arm. This position is also far more confortable for the right arm and shoulder. When you play standing up, if you play with your guitar quite high, like you do when you are seated, you won't have your left wirst bent in unnatural way + off course the position will be very similar to the one you are using to practice.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 07:12 PM

Practicing while seated

Cool Man!!!! I've never seen a 3/4 size Universe before:biggrin: ......or Mr. Oakman :doh:
I don't sit much when i practice but when, i do i sit like that. My back doesn't get as sore either, this way.

Alden
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2001, 11:00 AM

Practicing while seated

Glad to hear Josh wears his guitar up high
or anybody else for that matter. I am always getting ragged on for wearing my guitar up high. its just more comfertable:biggrin:
and
sometimes i have to remeber that when i am not playing in a group or something, *to stand up at home when practicing as often as possible. It helps alot, esp if sitting and playing alot its easy to get too comfertable in that position... jus some fyi for ya'all

peace

scott
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2001, 05:37 PM

Practicing while seated

I wear my guitar high too...like you say just more comfortable for me to play...or try to play:biggrin:

Alden
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2001, 05:45 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Practicing while seated

Bob's looking there. I have a pet-peave about people playing guitars up to their chins so it is nice to see people play in a "player" position.

The "classical" position for a righty player is left foot on foot-stool and guitar resting on left knee. Re-read what yuza said below. I don't see a benefit of practicing any other way, especially if you ever care to stand while playing (highly recommended)... glen
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2001, 07:47 PM

Practicing while seated

I don't know about this - I used to play classical guitar (then saw my friend let rip on an electric and realised I was getting stiffed...) and did the whole 'left knee' thing.

I actually find playing on the right knee more comfortable as it feels a bit funny with the neck of the guitar sticking quite far out... the right knee is a more natural position for me as when I stand up I have the guitar pressed over my right hip.

I went through the whole Metallica 'gorilla-guitar' phase of playing the thing down by my knees (wehay!) but it sucked (ahem). I also think it looks silly unless you're James Hetfield.

Over here, we say 0.02
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2001, 11:25 PM

Practicing while seated

Dude! *That is the smallest Universe I have ever seen! :laugh:

I sometimes sit with my legs crossed, left on top and I rest the guitar on it. *I think I saw a picture of Vai sitting this way with his guitar, too. *(Make no mistake, I'm not even remotely making any type of comparison.)
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-01-2001, 10:01 AM

Practicing while seated

I once followed some classical guitar courses with a former student of Segovia, and that's also how he showed me to hold the guitar...

*Also, some classical guitarist use *something that looks like a small stool to put their left foot on....It is only about 4 inches high, but it puts your left knee higher than the right.... I do it at home using a dictionnary, which is about the same height.... I don't know what it does to ergonomics, but it just feels better..

Hugues
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-01-2001, 10:17 AM

Practicing while seated

Yeah... off course when you practice with your guitar on the left knee you have to put something under your left foot to have it higher. Practicing with the guitar on the left knee but without any stool can be dangerous for your back because you will tend to bend too much your body towards the guitar.... and this thing can cause problems after some times.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-01-2001, 02:34 PM

Practicing while seated

you'll also probably notice that when you play guitar with it on your right leg your left arm naturally wants to tuck itself into your body creating a much narrower field of movement.

move to the left and it roams around a little more freely as if playing standing up and this makes foir a better wrist position for those ikkle fast runs

(well it does for me anyway)

Steve

Tags
bob oakman , electric guitar , playing guitar , upper fret , upper frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode