Ibanez JEM Forum banner
6K views 57 replies 20 participants last post by  jemplayer55 
#1 ·
He does the get out of my yard arpeggio's in it looks like standard tuning with complete cleanness which is insane, I've watched a few of his vids but he is pretty damn good.

http://www.youtube.com/pipebecker

#11 ·
That's a self contradiction if I ever saw one.

If you're that desperate for me to validate myself then would it matter that I got a A for my audition for the Ba of music (performance) and was one of 3 with automatic inclusion?

There is at least 100 people ON THIS FORUM that can do what this guy is doing, I'm not saying he isn't good I'm saying it's nothing to be oo'ing and arr'ing about. If you celebrate mediocrity then that's exactly where you will be.

#21 ·
suppositely he has been playing guitar for only 4 yrs so if thats true, its even cooler to watch the vid because that is pretty good for only 4 yrs, and I don't see why people are throwing around their ego's right now. Are you guys so blinded by ego that you cannot say anything good about someone. Most even pro players cant play things this clean, I mean yeah there are so mistakes but it is human nature, also he would probably do Get Out of my Yard like PG if he felt like tuning 3 strings to E. Which I am guessing Paul uses different gauges than normal, and it would seem kind of a waste of time/strings if he would have just put 3 strings on his guitar with the possible weird gauges just to play this song, then he'd have to change strings again just to go back to standard tuning.

#25 ·
Yep! There were mistakes but then I've seen PG make mistakes playing it the easy way.

I watched his cover of Altitudes by Jason Becker too, that was excellent as well. He seems to have his sweeping down a lot better than any other technique though. Not that his use of other techniques are bad, just his sweeping is lightyears ahead of them.

I assume Crevis is busy working on his rubix cube and safe cracking techniques as we speak. :)

#29 ·
Well he's better than me. I can't sweep. I just can't get it down.

Crevis, you remind me of all the kids who played guitar in my high school that went to GC like it was a battle ground. Since when has music been a competition? I always thought it was an art. Maybe I was wrong and it, instead of sports, is the place where we strive to see others fail and the best become victorious.

This competition ideal from guitar players is getting old, really old. Art is about sharing ideas and cooperation. There is a place for competition and it's on the field, ring or court. Not on stage.

#30 · (Edited)
Well he's better than me. I can't sweep. I just can't get it down.

Crevis, you remind me of all the kids who played guitar in my high school that went to GC like it was a battle ground. Since when has music been a competition? I always thought it was an art. Maybe I was wrong and it, instead of sports, is the place where we strive to see others fail and the best become victorious.

This competition ideal from guitar players is getting old, really old. Art is about sharing ideas and cooperation. There is a place for competition and it's on the field, ring or court. Not on stage.
This is extremely hypocritical, people on here bitch to no end about kurt cobain and punk ****ers killing guitar, I'm doing the same thing the only difference is that I'm being critical of music you like.

Your other point is scalable in the same way, I feel the same way about you guys that you (and I at the time) felt about the kids at the music store, you're here because you desperately want approval and recognition.

Tell me you guys enjoy playing as much as Joe and Ella did.

#44 ·
i am a music major, and you would be surprized at how many people can "sweep pick" be it very poorly. i also teach a bit and the first things kid say when i address technique is when can we learn sweep picking. alot of people consider it to be the ultimate in playing.

that kids economy picking was decent, however his alternate is not that great.

#57 ·
that crevis just talks,said months ago he was going to write a peice of music,still waiting

Nope, never did post a video, a song....NOTHING. At least, not in this reality. Now maybe on Planet Crevis he did, but we're not on Planet Crevis. We're on Earth, and since we can't visit Planet Crevis, because it only exists in his head, we're stuck to listening, and watching, posts on the internet ON EARTH. Until then, we'll be waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and waiting.......

#54 ·
much kudos and respect to this young guy; he's got killer chops for being but 4 years into his playing. i do, however, see a moderate kink in the rail for this kid.

there are gobs of young shredders-of-the-future videos on youtube of younger guys that can faultlessly nail jason becker, marty friedman, and paul gilbert pieces or sweep arpeggios from the floor to the ceiling and back all day long. this is very cool but at the same time i wonder if this isn't just a symptom of a diseased young metalhead mind. as a touring musician and fairweather guitar instructor, i've seen sweep-picking, tapping, and light-speed shred stuff (all of which i do and enjoy) become the very apexes of ability and technique in the past few years to alot of kids to the point where many potential students i'd have are interested in learning nothing else. i applaud the current boy-kings and the still-younger hopefuls for their devotion to the instrument, but someone really needs to give these guys a b.b. king box set.

don't get me wrong, i see the merit in this dude's abilities and hope that the future sees him becoming a truly monstrous player once he learns to incorporate things like touch, feel, and phrasing (and as well the incredible fun and awesome vibe found in playing in a very inefficient but completely intentional way.) if every kid were this good when i was a lil guy, well, i wouldn't have made so much money teaching the other metalhead dorks in my class metallica tunes in middle school.

#58 ·
much kudos and respect to this young guy; he's got killer chops for being but 4 years into his playing. i do, however, see a moderate kink in the rail for this kid.

there are gobs of young shredders-of-the-future videos on youtube of younger guys that can faultlessly nail jason becker, marty friedman, and paul gilbert pieces or sweep arpeggios from the floor to the ceiling and back all day long. this is very cool but at the same time i wonder if this isn't just a symptom of a diseased young metalhead mind. as a touring musician and fairweather guitar instructor, i've seen sweep-picking, tapping, and light-speed shred stuff (all of which i do and enjoy) become the very apexes of ability and technique in the past few years to alot of kids to the point where many potential students i'd have are interested in learning nothing else. i applaud the current boy-kings and the still-younger hopefuls for their devotion to the instrument, but someone really needs to give these guys a b.b. king box set.

don't get me wrong, i see the merit in this dude's abilities and hope that the future sees him becoming a truly monstrous player once he learns to incorporate things like touch, feel, and phrasing (and as well the incredible fun and awesome vibe found in playing in a very inefficient but completely intentional way.) if every kid were this good when i was a lil guy, well, i wouldn't have made so much money teaching the other metalhead dorks in my class metallica tunes in middle school.
Guess we pretty much see it the same way...... But it was kinda the same when I started taking my playing serious. If you study only one style/genre early on you'll quickly discover how limited you are when it comes to working as a musician for hire.

I don't think most of these shredders see beyond their CD collection and their bedroom stage and it's connection to the outside world of music via youtube and the internet. And as anyone knows that can still be a pretty narrow window since you only seek out what you like most of the time.

But give them time and hopefully some exposure to performing in many different live situations and they soon will see having a broad spectrum of styles and licks is far more rewarding. It also helps to get over what many young players see as reaching a plateau in their playing. They get discouraged because they feel they can't get any better/faster while missing out on broadening their playing spectrum and craft.

For an analogy..... it's kinda like car mechanics..... some guys are happy just fixing transmissions their whole life while others want to know how to fix everything on a car......

Licks are like the tools of our trade...... you're only limited by the ones you choose to learn and use.

OK, enough babble.... now back to more important issues! (Crevis) :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.