Q' about sweep arps, theory side of things.... - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Q' about sweep arps, theory side of things....

Hi there. Ive been getting into a lot of shred, and neo classical music latly and im currently trying (say trying, as i suck ass) to get faster and get my chops up.

I love sweep picking, and although i just know some basic 3,4,5,6 string patterns its still fun playing them.

The thing is though, i want to know how to create arpeggios to sweep with, and to know how do move certain positions around so they can be transposed into differnt keys.

For example, one of the shapes i know, i can play it in a variaty of differnt places, yet god knows what key im changing into, and what arpeggio they are.

Also does anyone know of anything i can read (or post on this threat if your kind enough and have the time)that will explain to me about some of the basic patterns and what makes them, say minor, or major so i have a better understanding of what im playing rather than just random sweeps.

I tried looking on the net, but couldnt come up with too much.

All replys are apprieciated, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 06:43 PM

try checking out www.guitarworld.com in their lessons sections i seem to remember petrucci and malmsteen (if not others) have done columns on sweeping.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 07:39 PM

Some great resources I use for arpeggios can be www.wholenote.com (excellent resource for all guitarists/musicians, go to the "basics" section at the top of the page)

www.guitartricks.com have some really good lessons too. They catagorize by technique and there are plenty under "sweep" (they also catagorize by player, ex. Vai, Petrucci..etc)

A good way to start out with arpeggios is to think of small chords like Dmaj for instance. Just arpeggiate the notes with sweep picking. If you want to use more strings, take a barre chord shape, and come up with a fingering to arpeggiate and sweep the notes.

Take the A major fingering on the 5th fret (which is a barre on the fifth fret [think of it as the nut] and an Emaj shape in 6th position), and move up to 9th position, barre the 9th fret and play a Cmaj shape in the 10th position beside the barre...this is also Amaj.

Continue the same thing; come up with a fingering that you can handle and arpeggiate the notes with sweep picking.

Consider the CAGED method also.

Hope this helps
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

thanks.

I tried finding out about that CAGED method, but i was somewhat confused as to what it actually is.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 12:52 PM

The CAGED method is basically a form of playing the same chord in different voicings up the neck...this spells out "CAGED"

Play a Cmaj chord in first position...move up to 3rd position, hold a barre on the 3rd fret, and play an Amaj shape. This is also C...

It's a method of moving up in 3rds using the Cmaj Amaj Gmaj Emaj and Dmaj shapes.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2003, 02:04 AM

i didnt understand the whole CAGED thing...i wish i knew it, it sounds interesting and helpful...please explain it a little better...please?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2003, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Dont quote me on this, but i think the CAGED system is basicaly a way from which you can play say, the same chord in differnt positions.

For example, the normall barre chord shape looks like a barre and a Emaj shape combined right?

Now say you wanted to play a C major chord but in a differnt position from the Barre at the 8th fret, what you would do is go to C on the string below which is the third fret, and basically put a barre over that and instead of using a emaj shape you use an Amaj shape with it. This is gives C

So a normall Cmaj Barre Chord would be like this

8 Notice the bold notes form an Emaj Shape

Now to play it in the other position i mentioned (there are others but this is just one) it would look like this

3 Now notice that the bold notes form an Amaj shape
x

I only just know what it is though, so i dont know anything more about the system than that . Hope it helps though
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2003, 11:59 AM

Yeah, all it is is playing the same chord in different voicings up the neck...you change positions but keep playing the same chord.

First position is a C chord, 2nd position is a C chord but using an Amaj shape. 3rd position is a C chord, but with a Gmaj shape. (I don't mean 2nd and 3rd position like 2nd and 3rd fret, I'm just making transitions)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 12:53 PM

then again you could switch to straight fourths and only ever have to learn one set of chord voicings, arps and scales.. instead of 5 or six unique sets
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Hmm, how exactly does that work? Does it mean less work?

Also i wanted to ask you guy:
I know how to create Arps, just triads atm. And i understand how you just take the root/3rd/5th of the scale and thats the triad formed. But what id you sort of do it the other way round, so say i played some random notes on the fretboard and they were E, A and C. How do i realise what chord that is? So i can just look at the notes and say, ah that forms xxx triad?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 07:36 PM

yeah straight fourths takes all the pain out of learning the guitar, untill you start reading tabs and you have to remember to subtract one fret from the e and b string thats the only thing i have against it.. seriously you learn one three string lydian pattern (locrian, lydian b7 etc etc etc) and starting on any note on any string it will work for you. so staying key becomes childs play when your being hit with fast chord changes...

try it out if you can.. youl be very very suprised.

its a nightmare for us jem folk though... locking nuts and all
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirly
I know how to create Arps, just triads atm. And i understand how you just take the root/3rd/5th of the scale and thats the triad formed. But what id you sort of do it the other way round, so say i played some random notes on the fretboard and they were E, A and C. How do i realise what chord that is? So i can just look at the notes and say, ah that forms xxx triad?
Swirly, it starts as looking at it and working it out, but eventually you will just get it. Playing the piano really helped me with this.
I just look at eac and i know thats an aminor chord. But think about it.
A is a (minor) third away from C, and is a fifth away from E. So if we call A I, C is a third away 3, and E is a fifth away, 5. so thats 1 3 5.
I really don't think I explained this well, as to me its just nature.

Try this. write out the notes of all the major and minor chords.
Start with the "white" notes (natural, not sharp/flat)
e.g.
C major = C E G
D major = D F# A
E major = E G# B
F major = F A C
G major = G B D
A major = A C# E
B major = B D# F#

Then do the minors, then do sharps and flats, e.g. AbMajor, Abminor.
Things such as BbMaj7sus9 2nd inversion are those that you will most likely work out and not just know :P.
When I say write them out, I mean write them out on a piece of paper, it really helps to remember them.

Also look at the notes of a chord when you play them. Play an A maj chord, and point to each fret played and say the note.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Hmm.I think i get what your saying but it isnt clicking in. Anybody else want to try and explain it?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 07:09 PM

i dont think there is an easy way of doing it... just practice and a good knowledge of how chords are constructed

Tags
locking nut , locking nuts , sweep picking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode