Question about Steve Vai's 80's equipment - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Question about Steve Vai's 80's equipment

So, Steve Used PAF Pro bridge pickups in his early Jems, is this correct? Did he use primarily the PAF Pro to get his Passion and Warfare sound? and also his stuff with David Lee Roth and Whitesnake? Thanks, that is my question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 04:10 PM

Re: Question about Steve Vai's 80's equipment

All Jems from the introduction of the Jem777LNG were PAFpro equipped, until the Jem7VWH and BSB which came with the newly developed EVO pickups.
The Universe always had Blaze pickups, sometimes listed as Blaze II (there is no Blaze I)

P&W is mostly Jem, but some UV and other guitars as well.
Whitesnake's SOTT is almost exclusively UV (according to Vai himself).

Eat 'm and Smile predates the Jem and is Green Meanie (Charvel):
http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/guitar066.html

The Jem777LNG was featured in the video for Stand Up (DLR) but according to Steve's own site he used a Tom Anderson prototype for Skyscraper:
http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/guitar070.html
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Awesome information, thank you very much!!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 07:18 AM

np, btw if you want tonal characteristics of these various pups (Pafpro, Blaze, Evo, Breed) you can find them on the Dimarzio website.

BTW if any mod is present, please move this thread to the appropriate area.
It would be a bit of a waste if this gets pruned.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 07:29 AM

Reviews: 25

I reckon anyone could get onto Vai's rig just after the man himself played it and still not sound like vai and get his tone.....

Finger finger fingers.... because if vai jumped on my rig, the way i like my sound, he would still sound like vai...

Searching for someone elses sound wont really work in my opinion and you will always be let down....

Just a thought...

Good luck with your tone search
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 04:22 AM

personally, I get a descent DLR-era tone with guytron GT-100 with its silverface settings when recording cleans in a studio. For distorted sound when using the same amp, frontside controls on B channel are all at 1400 hrs with gain and mids at almost 100%.
When I used to play in a cover band and we played a lot of alcatrazz and DLR songs that Vai recorded and then I used 5150 II, all settings at 1600hrs but treble and presence at 1100 for songs like yankee Rose, Shy Boy, Goin' Crazy, Skyscraper, Hot Dog and a Shake and Hina. For Stand Up, Ladies' Nite In Buffalo and Big Trouble I was not using amps dist section but was playing throught a clean channel with a custom-made OD pedal (almost identical to CMATMODS Brownie that you can get nowadays from Chad Matthews - it has almost the same tonal color as 150 has but a much rounder edge so it doesn't "bite" as much as 5150, its more "classic" tone). I was using LNG and EBMMEVH both with stock pickups but EBMM was strung with 11s which made id harder to shred but I could get much richer tone for the cleans.

On the other hand, I was never obsessed with a certain guitarplayer's tone and was not chasing it no matter what, I'm always rather looking to other guy's tone as a guideline for my own.
Nowadays I either use lince6 X3 live if I play in a venue that has crappy amps so its much better to plug straight into PA or I carry my Guytron 20W combo and my pedalboard with 3 different OD stompboxes that I use for a different ammount of distortion in my signalchain. My current band plays everything from original to rollingstones to 80;s rock and glam to electric six to korn. Tonewise, I got stuck in the 80's and my favourite is EVH with his cranked marshalls and Vai on Eat 'em... and Passion and Warfare albums. If we play big venues with 200+ people I usually take my 5150 and 3 guitars - either JEM or EBMMEVH, strat and one of my lespauls (either custom 1969 or Boneyard), if we play smaller venues then its 20watt combo + pedalboard for some variety in tonal "colors".
But the bottom line is, as IbanezFreak777 said - fingers, fingers, fingers. I was very close to his sound with the rig I had then but I was soundling like me trying to play like Vai

Tags
steve vai paf pro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode