Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Question on Satch's Not of This Earth Album:

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  eviltwin 
#1 ·
For those that know the song "Driving At Night" (Track # 7), if you know could you please tell me what effect(s) are being used for the spot in the song at ~ 1:58 thru 2:03? (the entire sequence I believe starts around ~1:48, but sounds especially cool starting around 1:58-1:59).

Thanks!

#3 ·
By "whammy" are you refering to the tremolo bar on the guitar, or a Whammy effects pedal?

You should listen to the exact spot I'm talking about in the song. There has to be more to it than JUST using the bar... maybe a unique pick scraping technique? *shrug*

It really sounds to me like several things are being done there.

#4 ·
I think it's just natural harmonics using the bar - as you drop/raise the bar they detune differently and it's that and the distortion that makes that warbling sound. The one at the 1:58 point is specifically the fifth fret harmonic on the G and the seventh fret harmonic on the B - play them together and pull up on the bar and you get that "elephant trumpet" noise. Steve Vai did much the same trick in Erotic Nightmares on Passion and Warfare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.