question: Yngwie dilemma - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Smile question: Yngwie dilemma

I would like to ask You Your advice: how would You pick the opening run of the solo of "I am a viking" of Yngwie? All alternate picking? Economy picking? Legato? A mix of those techniques?
I'm trying to get it up to speed with pure alternate, but read somewhere that Yngwie mainly uses economy picking when running up a scale.. here's the tab:

|-----------------------------------------------10-12-14-12-10-8-12--|
|----------------------------------10-12-13------------------------------|
|-----------------------9-11-12-------------------------------------------|
|-----------9-10-12-------------------------------------------------------|
|9-10-12------------------------------------------------------------------|
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I just can't get it up to speed ...
Dino
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 07:03 AM

Re: question: Yngwie dilemma

either play it legato, picking only the first notes...or fast alternate is the way I would play it...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 11:26 AM

Reviews: 2

legato, picking the firs notes only. I'm too lazy to pick every note
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 12:48 PM

I'm pretty sure Yngwie uses economy picking, which whould mean: down up down, down up down, down up down, etc....
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikosaed View Post
I'm pretty sure Yngwie uses economy picking, which whould mean: down up down, down up down, down up down, etc....
He certainly does not. There's some video of a slow mo close up of his picking on youtube, and it's straight alternate picking, as well as another with him verbally describing his picking technique, and what he described is more or less alt picking (Though remember, he is not the greatest explainer ). He also mixes in a lot of legato quite often, he isn't John Petrucci when it comes to straight up discipline of the right hand. Joe Stump uses economy picking.

That being said, you can more or less use whatever technique gets you the speed and sound. If you can't pick it cleanly just legato it, if you get faster you can pick every note later. If you like economy picking, economy pick it. Just listen to the tape and copy what you hear.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 05:01 PM

I would love to see those youtube examples you're referring to. I did some youtube digging on my own and this is what I came up with. Certainly looks like economy doesn't it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njxuor9uVQk#t=5m55s

But I agree he's not very strict, like Petrucci (alternate) or Gambale (economy). Yngwie just goes for it sort of, without thinking too much about it. But I think it comes out as economy more than alternate in his case.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 11:17 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dZyy...eature=related
That is the slowed down vid I was talking about, ironically taken from the same video you linked. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be as clear and obvious as I remember, and is mainly sweeping or single string stuff.

Although his hand is making almost ridiculously small motions (Looks like he uses his thumb, I guess MAB was wrong about thumb flicking?), you can easily tell that the pick makes jagged motions nearly every time he switches strings, this would indicate that he's probably alt picking it. Although I very easily see how this could be mistaken as economy picking, especially when you consider how he uses virtually 0 arm movement, unlike a lot of shredders that tend to use more arm as they get faster.

Compare it to Joe Stump, which I also mentioned uses by the book economy picking:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0SfZIS_T14
As you can see, no jagged picking motions whatsoever.

As for the interview,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NtJP5OrCg4#t=6m50s
the interviewer asks him about if he uses eco picking or not, he more or less says no, shreds for 50 seconds and then says 'when it goes to the next string it has to be different'. I'm assuming this means he's starting on an upstroke and thusly, alternate picking. Although his motions are really smooth, he kind of makes a knitting motion when he's moving strings, which are probably the upstrokes.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 02:13 AM

Wow I can't believe what high quality answers you get all within like a day kinda amazing some high quality mofos here lotta knowledge and take time to explain and even link video kinda freakin amazing aint it? Or am I just easily impressed?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 03:59 AM

Fair enough, and thanks for links, but it sill looks like economy me picking to me, except for that second descending lick/run in the first video. And frankly he doesn't do many runs where economy or alternate picking matters. It's mostly arpeggio sweeping and single string stuff, at least in his instructional videos.

Regarding the interview I actually interpret what he's saying like he's talking about economy picking. I mean an alternate picker doesn't really care what the conditions are when switching strings right?, whereas an economy picker prefers an odd number of strokes on each string. Maybe that's what he means by "it has to be different"? Maybe he said "different" but meant "odd"? The words have similar meaning.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikosaed View Post
Fair enough, and thanks for links, but it sill looks like economy me picking to me, except for that second descending lick/run in the first video. And frankly he doesn't do many runs where economy or alternate picking matters. It's mostly arpeggio sweeping and single string stuff, at least in his instructional videos.
Instructional videos, yeah, the majority of his stuff he shows is either arpeggios or single string, But if you listen to any of his songs, there are so many runs that are more or less straight up or down the scale. A very concrete example would be Blitzkrieg, particularly the beginning. It's just A harmonic minor straight up and down. Songs such as black star or far beyond the sun (or practically every other instrumental of his) also have a lot of scale runs thrown in everywhere. So whether you alt pick or economy pick is about as important in an Yngwie song as a Paul Gilbert song, maybe more.

And of course, after spending disturbingly long time intently focusing on his right hand, it is starting to look more and more like economy.
The descriptive yet somewhat vague words usually associated with it (smooth, not as aggressive as alt, etc) also seems to match up with his sound. I guess he may very well pick like this.

And yes, an economy picker generally would care more about the number of notes he plays per string more, because it changes the way you pick. It still matters very much either way, as the only difference in techniques is whether to do 2 downstrokes in a row or skip over the string for an upstroke. I personally find the biggest problem with economy picking in 2 string runs on the high e and b strings. things like the famous paul gilbert example can be somewhat awkward (Especially with strings that have a higher tension, so not in Yngwie's case) as it quickly becomes nothing but inside picking.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

thanx for all the nice answers!

Tags
alternate , economy , malmsteen , viking , yngwie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode