qustion on sweep picking +tutorial - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

qustion on sweep picking +tutorial

hello

when i play guitar i all time used to pick up and down every note, i can do it and verouis speeds and i allready used to it..., i read some on sweep picking techinq, and its open new world of picking for me now.....
http://www.guitar9.com/columnist413.html

i started to try this out and its not easy to get used to it since i allready used to up/down.......but i must say the "idea" look more apropiate. maybe faster result? (not sure yet)...

can ne1 tell me what he think on sweep picking compare to up/down method, and is it good for fast play only?

tnx joshua

Last edited by rg2570e-ibanez; 11-05-2005 at 11:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 01:04 PM

Re: qustion on sweep picking +tutorial

I've just started to learn to sweep a couple of months ago, and it is an INVALUABLE technique.

To your questions. Sweeping can give you a completely different more "fluid" sound than alternate picking. Changing pickup position and using taps and slides in sweep gives you an unlimited amount of sounds.

No way is sweeping only good for fast playing. In fact SLOW playing sweeps are much harder and just sound incredible when played right. Some of the best sweeping I've heard has been slow, fluid neck position sweeping with slides in it. Some of the worse is Angelo's insane blurs of notes sweeping.

To sum up. Definitely learn sweeping, and stick to 3 string sweeps until you've mastered them then move on. You can use them to blurt out an insane 100 notes or you can make them sound beautiful and fluid.

Just my $0.02
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 03:13 PM

Re: qustion on sweep picking +tutorial

i never use sweeps for fast playing (im not good enough to do em fast!!) but Rgt lover is very correct! you can add another dimension to your phrasing if you use them correctly and tastefully!

Tags
alternate picking , neck position , sweep picking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode