Rate steve vai - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Rate steve vai

How will you rate Steve Vai?(on a scale of 10)
1)steve vai as the guitarist
2)steve vai as a singer/vocalist

i ll give 9/10 for the guitarist steve vai
i hauent heard that much songs inwhich steve vai really sings,so i cant rate the singer part
so What about you people?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 03:01 PM

Re: Rate steve vai

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoldstel View Post
How will you rate Steve Vai?(on a scale of 10)
1)steve vai as the guitarist
2)steve vai as a singer/vocalist

i ll give 9/10 for the guitarist steve vai
i hauent heard that much songs inwhich steve vai really sings,so i cant rate the singer part
so What about you people?
good old Steve vai,..

as a Guitarist 10 out of 10 !!!

it dosnt get better than that ,..only different .
I think once you realize and accept that as a player ,you become more at peace with yourself .
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 03:15 AM Thread Starter

Vai is one of the greatest guitar players to be alive. I will give a 9.5 to jimi hendrix.10 is insane guitar playing.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Banned

i think theres lots of guitarists that has surpassed jimmy hendrix.hendrix was a genius no doubt but his time has passed,guitar standard has shot through the roof since hendrix days.steve vai to me is the best guitarist that has ever walked this earth,if i had to describe him in 1 word it would be COLOURFULL,i got to mention evh aswell,i remember lying on a beach n some dude had 5150 steaming on his ghetto blaster,i remember thinking how can anyone make a guitar sound like that,at the time i was blown away.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 02:50 PM

1-0....via sux
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 05:42 PM

[quote=musikron;1185147]1-0....via sux[/quote

mmm well I find that interesting, my wife cant stand him either .
mate so which player would you give a ten,..?
cheers T
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the crafty mackem View Post
i think theres lots of guitarists that has surpassed jimmy hendrix.hendrix was a genius no doubt but his time has passed,guitar standard has shot through the roof since hendrix days.steve vai to me is the best guitarist that has ever walked this earth,if i had to describe him in 1 word it would be COLOURFULL,i got to mention evh aswell,i remember lying on a beach n some dude had 5150 steaming on his ghetto blaster,i remember thinking how can anyone make a guitar sound like that,at the time i was blown away.
technically yes ,but imo nobody has over taken him regarding to soul or feel, Steve is most certainly the dude of now ,and its when you see him live you understand .
Though I love the playing of Michael Angelo Batio ,.is well.
shredd n forever,..T
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I give Steve a 7 out of 7 for his guitar abilities, frankly, he's Steve Vai, whatcha gonna do?

I do prefer his instrumental work though, but I respect him all the more for making the music he wants to make.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 04:52 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Deluciano View Post
technically yes ,but imo nobody has over taken him regarding to soul or feel, Steve is most certainly the dude of now ,and its when you see him live you understand .
Though I love the playing of Michael Angelo Batio ,.is well.
shredd n forever,..T
Soul or feel?!
You mean playing the same penta boxes over and over?
This is what's soul and feel to you?
So your own music has no soul or feel cause you don't keep repeating the same penta boxes.
You're a paradox, you contradict yourself
Why some people take playing the same stuff forever as soul and feel?
I'll never understand it.
I need something that excites me, that makes my cells pump, something unexpected and with good melody.Playing the same penta boxes is COMPLETELY out of what I want from music.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
Soul or feel?!
So your own music has no soul or feel cause you don't keep repeating the same penta boxes.
I need something that excites me, that makes my cells pump, something unexpected and with good melody.Playing the same penta boxes is COMPLETELY out of what I want from music.
So to take your 'argument' to it's inevitable conclusion; if you play the same stuff again that means you don't have soul and feel?

You have to never play the same thing twice to have soul and feel? (Remember that the next time you're running up or down a scale in triplets, that you've played already in the song/solo you're currently playing.)

You can't ever use 'penta boxes' as you put it, and have soul and feel?

I know that's not what you meant, and you'll see the point I'm making with it below...

You tend to make broad assumptions about things people say, even though they never said, or in my opinion, even alluded to what you think they meant.

I'm just trying to understand how you can take,

"but imo nobody has over taken him (Hendrix) regarding to soul or feel" and turn it into,

"'playing the same penta boxes over and over' 'is what's soul and feel'
'music has no soul or feel cause you don't keep repeating the same penta boxes.'"

Yes, I edited your statement but that's basically what you seem to have understood when you read the original text. I'm basing this assumption on your statement, "So your own music has no soul or feel cause you don't keep repeating the same penta boxes. You're a paradox, you contradict yourself"

How could he contradict himself? He never said anything about anyone not having soul or feel for any reason. He even stated his 'love' for Michael Angelo Batio... and he repeats himself all the time, and doesn't seem to be 'stuck' in 'penta-boxes'.)

To him, Hendrix was able to convey his soul and feeling better than anyone else. End of idea.

That's what I got from his statement. I think I'm a lot closer to what he meant than what you came up with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THP5xJSD83c

Yes, some pentatonic use there, some other scales thrown in as well... but, regardless of what chords, scales, modes, techniques he used, yes: I feel the the soul in this recording.

I know you feel that someone that's never recorded a song is less of a musician, not even a 'credible' musician... so I guess my opinion about music wouldn't mean anything to you anyway, even though I started learning music when I was about 3 (I'm 42), been playing guitar for 25 years, study theory non-stop, worked for a few bands, and was a tech for a little more than 10 years (not that that has anything to do with being a musician, just my facination with the mechanics of the instrument), but; since I've not put anything on tape I'm not a musician, or at least not a 'credible' one, so my opinion about music can't have any validity.

But that's not my point... it's okay to 'read between the lines' at times, but try not to add whole paragraphs to what someone has said. It's usually not productive.
(This is why my posts are usually so long. All too often people have taken short sentences of mine and totally missed what I was trying to say, and turned it into a 'discussion' that was so far off from what I meant, as to be a different conversation. I do know it's my fault when that happens since I make the wrong assumption that people will actually use common sense when they read something simple. I try to not leave any room for error in my point(s) anymore)
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
Soul or feel?!
The thing I find most amusing about your post 6 fingers is you dont like simple [penta boxes],..
well Music is simple there are only 7 notes [yeah with sharps and flats between most] so with these 7 simple notes Musicians play them over n over n over to create whats called Music,. every ones different which is great ,makes the world an interesting place.
7 musical notes yep thats it mate ,thats less notes that are in [penta boxes]
Mic Just Mic has put the rest rather well I thought .
Cheers T
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Deluciano View Post
The thing I find most amusing about your post 6 fingers is you dont like simple [penta boxes],..
well Music is simple there are only 7 notes [yeah with sharps and flats between most] so with these 7 simple notes Musicians play them over n over n over to create whats called Music,. every ones different which is great ,makes the world an interesting place.
7 musical notes yep thats it mate ,thats less notes that are in [penta boxes]
Mic Just Mic has put the rest rather well I thought .
Cheers T
Thanks Tommy.

I was tempted to point out the number of notes, but I think Treva feels that he knows and understands music more than anyone else.

My mention of his opinion on people that have recorded is from a PM exchange we had recently.

I love Jimi, I hate Malmsteen. Doesn't mean I think people that like Malmsteen are foolish for it.

Treva sometimes comes across like that though.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 10:38 PM

Hmm, perhaps Treva is just jealous because maybe he can't play anything coherent using just 'simple penta boxes'?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 11:11 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I think Treva was just trying to turn the thread into an actual dialog about guitar playing and boring vs exciting---and keeping the whole thing from looking like a teenage fanboy thread common at Ultimate-Guitar forum.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 11:45 PM

Trevas a cool guy ,I like a good chat .

cheers,.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode