re-Harmonizing ? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

re-Harmonizing ?

i was reading a old guitarworld issue with steve in it and he was talking about re-harmonizing songs or somthing, has anyone else heard of this if so do you no what he is talking about, i just wanted to completely understand what he was talking about and the article did't give me much info about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 12:18 AM

Was he talking about Whitesnake? I would imagine that he meant writing new and better harmony parts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 11:16 AM

That's a good imagination.

As Ancestor said. Harmony parts, guitar/vocal/bass.
Re-arranging would involve changing the/some chords.

Euph
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 12:06 PM

"reharmonizing" refers to playing different chords under the same melody. Commonly used in Jazz and in dance remixes. I heard a new Deborah Cox remix of a Phil Collins song over the weekend...totally reharm'd.

The difference is that Dance remixes usually simplify the original changes while Jazz reharm make the chords more colorful and/or complex.

Hope this helps.
~K
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the info guys, i think i get the idea now
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe
"reharmonizing" refers to playing different chords under the same melody. Commonly used in Jazz and in dance remixes. I heard a new Deborah Cox remix of a Phil Collins song over the weekend...totally reharm'd.

The difference is that Dance remixes usually simplify the original changes while Jazz reharm make the chords more colorful and/or complex.

Hope this helps.
~K
That's interesting. I'd love to know what Vai's comment was in reference to.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 01:40 PM

Reviews: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancestor
Was he talking about Whitesnake? I would imagine that he meant writing new and better harmony parts.
He may have been. At the very least, Vai was playing inversions on his rhythm parts on the WS tour. Does that count?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancestor
He may have been. At the very least, Vai was playing inversions on his rhythm parts on the WS tour. Does that count?
Yup, changing the inversions counts as reharmonising.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode