RE: When is an artist considered "Mainstream"? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

RE: When is an artist considered "Mainstream"?

So I've been on a Vai binge as of late, with both my digital music and YouTube and in more than a couple of videos, Steve makes mention how his music has not gotten much (very little if any) airplay.

IMO - Steve Vai and others in that genre are mainstream enough for me (probably because I was introduced to instrumental music as a guitarist early on), but it would cool for more radio stations or other media streaming services or outlets to start showing them more love and dropping their music in along with their regular selections.

So many great players out there, that if given the chance, would really be appreciated for their artistry and musicianship and how they are able to deliver a message and emotion in the same way a traditional band does with lead/backing vocals and the like.

Thoughts?

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 07:58 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Don't take this the wrong way but Vai (and anyone like him) is not and never was remotely close to mainstream. His music is very much an outlier with limited appeal that sometimes self limits.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 06:15 PM

Re: When is an artist considered "Mainstream"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Don't take this the wrong way but Vai (and anyone like him) is not and never was remotely close to mainstream. His music is very much an outlier with limited appeal that sometimes self limits.

His solo stuff for sure, but he was certainly mainstream with DLR. Who hasn't heard "Yankee Rose" on the radio?
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 07:53 PM

Reviews: 21

There hasn't been a solid new genre of music since alternative hit when I was in high school twenty five years ago. Sure there have been new branches but it's pretty much the same tree. The only real new alternative station here plays 25 year old grunge mixed with acts like Portugal - The Man, Cage The Elephant, and St Vincent. Satellite radio gives those rock acts more play but, like cable tv, you're paying a premium for that. Don't get me wrong. I love Vai, but even his hit DLR stuff isn't mainstream anymore.
The cool thing is the internet gives these acts a solid yet still niche audience.
Kind of a side note: I've seen Satch and Vai many times live and even Paul Gilbert a few times. Wednesday I'm going to get to see Greg Howe live with Protocol. I never thought I'd ever see Greg live. All of my access to his material has been thanks to the internet. Not to mention Simon Phillips being rock royalty.
Razzle likes this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 09:37 PM

The word “mainstream” has a specific definition: the ideas, attitudes, or activities that are regarded as normal and conventional.New Oxford American Dictionary In music, mainstream may just mean “marketable.” Either way, mainstream is not necessarily a good qualifier for an artists music because it is often short lived. The internet has its good side and its bad side. Discovering artists is perhaps the good side, appreciating their music while providing no compensation is the bad side. You are going to see these players live which is a form of compensation and a good thing to do.

Also, keep in mind Vai has said a lot of things so make sure you check the date of when he said it. If I’m not mistaken, he owns the royalties to a large percentage of his music. (Correct me if I’m wrong). This means airplay could potentially be worth a lot of money for him. It would be a unique situation though.
mike570 likes this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 09:43 AM

You just don't see many instrumental musicians in "mainstream" music... Satriani would be pretty close for an instrumental guitarist though. Vai is definitely on the fringe and not as "listenable" to the average person unless he is kept in line by the restriction of being part of another band, like DLR or Whitesnake.

I used to correlate "mainstream" with syndicated radio... which gave artists nationwide or worldwide exposure. Now that the internet came along and gave artists a direct way to get their music out through youtube and sell through places like bandcamp, it's all different. The last several albums I have purchased have been directly from finding them on youtube and buying from bandcamp... Who has ever heard of Sithu Aye? Well I can't get enough of his music and bought everything he has for sale... lol. Bought a couple of Nick Johnston's albums from Amazon after hearing him on youtube as well. Just way different now with so many fragmented genres and "mainstream" doesn't mean the same thing it used to, at least in my mind.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

I tend to listen to a classic rock station in the car on my commute to work and I’ve heard Surfing with the alien played a couple of times, Summer Song played once and Just Like Paradise a few times and Fool for your lovin’ once.

Everything else, nothing. And this station will play Rush songs
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 01:24 PM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
The word “mainstream” has a specific definition: the ideas, attitudes, or activities that are regarded as normal and conventional.New Oxford American Dictionary In music, mainstream may just mean “marketable.” Either way, mainstream is not necessarily a good qualifier for an artists music because it is often short lived. The internet has its good side and its bad side. Discovering artists is perhaps the good side, appreciating their music while providing no compensation is the bad side. You are going to see these players live which is a form of compensation and a good thing to do.

Also, keep in mind Vai has said a lot of things so make sure you check the date of when he said it. If I’m not mistaken, he owns the royalties to a large percentage of his music. (Correct me if I’m wrong). This means airplay could potentially be worth a lot of money for him. It would be a unique situation though.
I bought a digital copy of "Wheelhouse" then a CD version for the car.
In general I try to buy a physical copy of artists I really like. Most streaming deals suck and they don't get much money there.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 01:38 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Just Like Paradise a few times and Fool for your lovin’ once. Everything else, nothing. And this station will play Rush songs
Ironically the most mainstream song associated with Vai - JLP - he didn't write but would have been the 90210 theme song if they only Dave had better management (the same folks who advised him to leave VH lol). More ironically the original '80 WS FFYL version holds up much better (coverdale agrees) than the '89 version which - with the video - is almost a clinic as to why people scoffed at hair metal.

The vast majority of people just don't want to hear music without lyrics since it is uninviting & lacking almost universal appeal but much more so when it features monotonous guitar excess song after song after song.

You can count on two hands (if not one) the memorable mainstream songs without lyrics and i can't think of one post-Woodstock era.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 02:02 PM
Vendor

Who really cares what is mainstream or not? You listen to what you connect with. Music used to define class, lyrics were mostly confined to folk songs sung in bars by the drunk, where the upper class went to the symphony, and lyrics were confined to opera. Now it much less defines class as it does personal taste. Todays Billies are just as likely to listen to rap as they are jazz. Most jazz had no lyrics, most blues did, and in all genres of music you had songs with and without lyrics, except maybe rap [none that I know of]. Electronic music for clubs, no lyrics, they're not needed. Music does not need lyrics to be successful, but it needs lyrics to get on top 40 radio.

There has always been plenty of music that was mainstream but had no lyrics, Kenny G was all over the air, Yanni [did I just say that?!] the list is long, just not as long as those that add words to connect to a listener where the words matter as much as how the notes are arranged.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Ironically the most mainstream song associated with Vai - JLP - he didn't write but would have been the 90210 theme song if they only Dave had better management (the same folks who advised him to leave VH lol). More ironically the original '80 WS FFYL version holds up much better (coverdale agrees) than the '89 version which - with the video - is almost a clinic as to why people scoffed at hair metal.

The vast majority of people just don't want to hear music without lyrics since it is uninviting & lacking almost universal appeal but much more so when it features monotonous guitar excess song after song after song.

You can count on two hands (if not one) the memorable mainstream songs without lyrics and i can't think of one post-Woodstock era.
The slip of the tongue record is embarrassingly one of my all time favourites!!! To me, it’s the lyrics that date those sorts of songs and make them ‘cheesy’. I’m sure that chart music now will be regarded with equal disdain! I also like Disturbed!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
The slip of the tongue record is embarrassingly one of my all time favourites!!! To me, it’s the lyrics that date those sorts of songs and make them ‘cheesy’. I’m sure that chart music now will be regarded with equal disdain! I also like Disturbed!

Slip of the Tongue was great, it's the hair and makeup that makes it seem cheesy to me, looking back... The over-the-top guitar and lyrics still hold up today, but I seriously doubt that the 80's hair will ever come back. Then again, I never thought bell bottom jeans would ever be seen post 70's!

Oh, bigtime YES for Disturbed... one of the few modern bands I really dig along with A7X. \m/
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 03:21 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
LOL. TBH it's a real shame Vandenberg (co-wrote all songs with David) couldn't record the album as it's not fully Vai's fault but (like Skyscraper) was just too non-cohesive & messy & forced for lack of a better word.

Coverdale is great on twitter though. I feel for him in a way as he suffered with incredibly bad luck & timing & illness (& poor choice in women). First entered Deep Purple (mkIII) which was so lame compared to the historic mkII. That morphed into Whitesnake but went thru too many lineup changes nevermind booting their best fitting guitarist (Sykes). Still he managed to forge ahead only to lose that replacement (AV) to injury. Gotta credit his (obvious) self-realization the band was a parody by then see his own "girly man" comments. The '87 self-titled album had some serious airtime and huge "mainstream" appeal.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

I find Vai’s DLR albums almost unlistenable these days apart from for nostalgia’s sake. I love some of the solos and some of the riffs, but that’s about as much as I can handle these days.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Slip of the Tongue was great, it's the hair and makeup that makes it seem cheesy to me, looking back... The over-the-top guitar and lyrics still hold up today, but I seriously doubt that the 80's hair will ever come back. Then again, I never thought bell bottom jeans would ever be seen post 70's!

Oh, bigtime YES for Disturbed... one of the few modern bands I really dig along with A7X. \m/
No, there’s no excuse for an 80s hair revival!
jemsite, FireEagle and sepulchrave like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode