Real Tube vs Amp Simulation (tone test) - Page 2 - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 01:19 AM

Re: Real Tube vs Amp Simulation (tone test)

Drew, just gave your three songs a listen and I really like em. Great tone on them all. I think you stold some songs right from my brain What did you all use when you recorded them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 05:00 AM

I suggest everyone check out drews mp3s, btw ;p
post #18 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 10:03 AM

Drew > JoeyDahlia

...that's right, I said it.
post #19 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfiend14
Drew, just gave your three songs a listen and I really like em. Great tone on them all. I think you stold some songs right from my brain What did you all use when you recorded them?
Haha, sorry 'bout that bro, I'll give 'em right back.

APP was my old 7620 (AN/TZ, volume knob adjusted back and forth to shade the tone here and there) driving my Nomad-45 with the gain fairly low on the third channel's Vintage mode. ALC was mostly my Fender Strat, Gold Lace Sensors, with a Mesa Rocket-44 (basically a paired down Mark-IV, great amp for the price as these can be had cheap) with the gain WAY back, with some stuff added on later from my 7620 (stock at this point) with the IIC+ model on my J-Station. Echoes was my 7620, Tone Zone in the bridge, with the Recto model.

All of this either picked up by a crappy $30 radio shack mic or straight into the soundcard of my rather ghetto '99 Dell laptop, mixed in Sonic Foundry Acid 2.0.

I'm about to take the plunge on a new computer that (hopefuklly) won't suck, so after that I'll start recording some new stuff. A Pagan's Prayer, the newest, is over a year old, and ALC/Echoes are from back in college, like 4 years ago.

-D
post #20 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 02:25 PM

You should have one built custom for u instead of just buying a out of the box brand. Better chance it won't suck
post #21 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 02:51 PM

Drew.....playing good....tone good *thumbs up*

JoeyDhalia.....playing bad.....tone bad *thumbs down*

post #22 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfiend14
You should have one built custom for u instead of just buying a out of the box brand. Better chance it won't suck
Actually, that's the route I'm looking into - got a few friends who are into this stuff, and they've kinda sold me on the idea. Besides, it'd be kinda cool to have a non-standard computer - i think I'd like being a computer geek.

Carlo, man, thanks!
post #23 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 06:04 PM

[QUOTE=Drew]Actually, that's the route I'm looking into - got a few friends who are into this stuff, and they've kinda sold me on the idea. Besides, it'd be kinda cool to have a non-standard computer - i think I'd like being a computer geek.

It's kinda fun, i built my own last year that rocks. Good luck with it.
post #24 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo
Drew.....playing good....tone good *thumbs up*

JoeyDhalia.....playing bad.....tone bad *thumbs down*

Well ,thanks I am thinking of getting a tube amp to solve that problem..

JoeyDahlia
post #25 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 05:32 PM

A tube amp alone isn't a solution - I've heard some good tones out of XT's, and some horrid tones out of otherwise awesome amps. Maybe try backing off your gain a little, your reverb a LOT, and playing with the EQ so it doesn't sound so "pinched?"

Also, it's a cliche and generally starts flame-wars here, but I really do believe tone is in your hands. I don't know what to tell you, really, aside from the fact that I think I grew as a player when I began playing unplugged a lot more - these days, I generally grab a guitar (sometimes acosutic, sometimes electric) and a beverage (beer, bourbon, water, whatever, depends on how bad work was that day ) and sit out on my front step just improvising for about a half hour or so. It really forces you to hear the guitar, not the amp, and I think that's hugely valuable.

-D
post #26 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 07:04 PM

The tone is pretty processed sounding.... sounds digital to me!

And the song is too "robotic" as well, try to mix it up a little!
post #27 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 01:21 AM

The XT is cabable of getting great sounding tones on tape...it just takes lots tweaking and some capable hands, of course ;-) Most digital amps I played with don't sound good out of the box and takes some time in tweaking and understanding the device to get a good tone.

Tube amps on the other hand have a good solid base tone and sound generally good wherever you set the knobs (the good ones at least). It just requires LOTS of volume. The best tubes amps are also harder to play I think, since they're really sensitive to the dynamics of your playing and pick up every nuance of your pick attack. So if you're used to playing digital or solid state all the time.....switching to tube amps my not necessarily give you the great tone you're looking for...um...right away...lol.

Tube amps are also better in a live situation IMHO
post #28 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 02:04 AM

Reviews: 5

oww.... treble....
post #29 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 02:06 AM

Thumbs up Re: Real Tube vs Amp Simulation (tone test)

Nice songs Drew. I could've never come up with such great sounding tones as you have. I can't wait until I master tones. (I guess I'll just mess around a bit.)
post #30 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Bone,

Get an Xt...problem fixed...

Good Luck

JoeyDahlia

Tags
amp modeler , bass amp , bass response , chris brooks , clean tone , def leppard , dunlop crybaby , fender strat , fender twin , gain knob , gold lace sensors , higher strings , joey dahlia , kerry king , killer guitar , lace sensor , lace sensors , local music store , marshall jmp , master tone , mesa boogie , mesa nomad , modded marshall , music store , overdrive pedal , palm mute , palm muting , paul gilbert , pinch harmonics , playing guitar , power amp , practice amp , preamp gain , preamp tube , rack system , solid state amp , tone zone , tube amp , tube amps , tube combo , tube head , tube preamp , tube tone , valve amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode