Real Tube vs Amp Simulation (tone test) - Page 3 - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 10:44 AM

Re: Real Tube vs Amp Simulation (tone test)

Joey,

Actually, if he likes my tones, he should be looking at a Mesa and something in the Shure SM-57 family, or, for some of the older stff, a J-Station (pity they've basically discontinued them, they always struck me as more organic than Line6, in my admittedly limited experience).

Bonehead, your basic idea's right, though - just keep playing. Remember, midrange is your friend, sometimes less gain really IS more, and tone starts at the guitar, first and foremost. The rest is just personal taste.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Xt has Mesa in it..and you don't need a mic..

Don't you just love the 21st century.......

hehe

JoeyDahlia
post #33 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydahlia
I am very curious to hear this mesa stuff..
Oh, so you've apparently "heard this mesa stuff" in the last couple days, and can now say the XT sounds better than a real Mesa? Impressive.

The Mesa models (plus the fender blackface) are the only two useable models on my J-Station, IMO, but even those pale compared to the real thing - the dynamics are off (WAY too compressed), especially at the lower threshold of the gain knob, and it doesn't have the tonal flexibility of the (notoriously tweak-sensitive) originals (once again, this is especially true at the lower ranges of preamp gain, as the gain controls and the tone stack are incredibly interactive). Add to that I have yet to hear a speaker sim that's as good as the real thing, and I'd hardly say an XT is "the only thing you'll ever need."

Of course debating with you is like trying to have a conversation with a wall - at the end of the day, it's like you're talking to a brick.
post #34 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
Joey,

The rest is just personal taste.
Ok so if you like the Xt, Than it's ok to use it..

JoeyDahlia
post #35 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Ok so if you like the Xt, Than it's ok to use it..
Yes, it's perfectly ok to use, go right ahead.
post #36 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Of course debating with you is like trying to have a conversation with a wall - at the end of the day, it's like you're talking to a brick.
um you are....hehehe

JoeyDahlia
post #37 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 07:20 PM

Reviews: 5

Right... because he wants to sound like you....
post #38 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 08:55 PM

No accounting for personal taste.
post #39 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 10:00 PM

Reviews: 1

A nice A/B should have been posted, but I think maybe the wrong person was at the controls of this thread.
Could have been informative, but ended up like the others, a flame war.. sad...
post #40 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Not a war,

Just we need everone to know tubes are overrated..Mic'n an amp is also..

Xt can do it..

JoeyDahlia
post #41 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 03:44 PM

Reviews: 1

Personally I think your tone is poor.
You have your opinion, I have mine.
Your way isn't the ONLY way.
NEXT !

"The less one makes declaritive statements, the less a fool he is apt to look in retrospect."

Bamm
post #42 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 03:51 PM

Bamm, it's worth noting that joey's tone would probably blow just as badly with a good tube amp, properly mic'd, in a decent studio... Some times, there's just no hope.
post #43 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Bamm, it's worth noting that joey's tone would probably blow just as badly with a good tube amp, properly mic'd, in a decent studio... Some times, there's just no hope.
My point,

With Xt you don't need all that crap..

JoeyDahlia
post #44 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Not a war,

Just we need everone to know tubes are overrated..Mic'n an amp is also..

Xt can do it..

JoeyDahlia
Is that how you achieve that wonderful sound? Personally I'd rather plug my Jem into my Legacy, crank it up to 10, and let my 2 year old beat the fretboard with a hammer. At least it wouldn't sound so strained. Not to mention it would have some originality and it wouldn't make my ears bleed as bad.

Amen.
post #45 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 05:56 PM

joey,

a simulator can NEVER replace a real thing. When playing in a REAL amp there are alot of things to be noticed like dynamics in string hitting, vibratos, bends etc... a TUBE AMP is a TRUE AMP> give a ****ty input and u get a ****ty output. IMO podxt's sound is "decorated". Playing thru a tube amp cleans up ur playing in a great way and after hearing ur clips it seems that u still have'nt realized it.

Tags
amp modeler , bass amp , bass response , chris brooks , clean tone , def leppard , dunlop crybaby , fender strat , fender twin , gain knob , gold lace sensors , higher strings , joey dahlia , kerry king , killer guitar , lace sensor , lace sensors , local music store , marshall jmp , master tone , mesa boogie , mesa nomad , modded marshall , music store , overdrive pedal , palm mute , palm muting , paul gilbert , pinch harmonics , playing guitar , power amp , practice amp , preamp gain , preamp tube , rack system , solid state amp , tone zone , tube amp , tube amps , tube combo , tube head , tube preamp , tube tone , valve amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in