Real Tube vs Amp Simulation (tone test) - Page 5 - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Re: Real Tube vs Amp Simulation (tone test)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr

Oh, he!!, maybe I'm just old... These kids today, they think McDonalds is fine dining

Roger
UUUMMM

It is...

lol

I just want tube freaks to know ,Xt can do it...That's all...

JoeyDahlia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 12:23 PM
rgr

Can do what? Can create a decent recorded sound? Yeah, we all already know that, there are tons of Line 6 fans here.
post #63 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 12:31 PM

Reviews: 1

Ok fine.
Here are some rough mix clips of some of my solos from my old band from 6 years ago, these are pretty dry and all Mesa Studio .22 1x12 combo.
http://dnr-music.com/Stuff/tender.mp3
http://dnr-music.com/Stuff/SOLITUDE.mp3
http://dnr-music.com/Stuff/Blink.mp3
A sennheiser off axis of the speaker and away ya go.

No POD, just some noise gate and some minor EQing.
Now mind you, before I had my Mesa Stuff, I was running ADA and Marshall.
Prior to that (crux of my point) I had an ART SGE Mach II which was supposed to have tube emulation and speaker simulation as well.
I ran that as my main distortion for a couple years, thinking it was great and dandy, THEN I PLAYED A REAL AMP.

Stuff changed in my head after that, and I understood the subtleties of tubes and how well they did what they did.
So you keep preaching about the XT but I have news, it isn't for everyone.
especially those who can tell the difference.

Last edited by bammbamm; 07-14-2005 at 12:36 PM.
post #64 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 12:50 PM

Kind of funny, I haven't listened to these in a while, but you can really hear the relationship between amp, speaker, and microphone. There is a definate interaction that is discernable. I know these aren't great by any stretch, but you can HEAR what the guitar sounds like vs NOT hearing it.
post #65 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr
Oh, he!!, maybe I'm just old... These kids today, they think McDonalds is fine dining

Roger
Didn't you when you were a kid?
My 2 year old LOVES the play area.
post #66 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Bam,

I listen to the first tone,it sounds like a normal guitar tone..

Flat ...Not Full...Our tone ,what ever it is should be big and fat..in your face type tone..

That where the Xt comes in ...It has a true clean sound..and the higher up in the mix, the better it sounds..

JoeyDahlia
post #67 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

But the lead work was very nice,If that was done with a Xt in stereo with some reverb...

hehehe...

It would of been hot!!!

JoeyDahlia
post #68 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 02:31 PM

Its a lead, it isn't supposed to full up the entire spectrum, it has a niche in the middle range where it belongs. Bass and kicks live down low, cymbals and other percussion have their place too. Why would you muddle up the composition with stuff that doesn't belong?
post #69 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

HEHEHEHE

Why do you think they call it lead guitar,Lead mean time to shine.

Everything in the song stops for a few seconds,just for you..like the song takes a break..

But if your tone is flat..its just another trac in the mix..

JoeyDahlia
post #70 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm
. Bass and kicks live down low, cymbals and other percussion have their place too. Why would you muddle up the composition with stuff that doesn't belong?
The guitar is a violin and a cello 2 in 1 baby..cello e-a-d violin g-b-e

They need there own tracs thats why you hear the bass of my leads doing different things..

Thats what kik's ass about the Xt,your getting the full sound of the guitar and not what the mic can only do..

JoeyDahlia
post #71 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 03:37 PM

Nice analogy, except most mics can handle a broad range typically 20-40 Hz up to 18+Khz, so that isn't the issue. And guess what, you heard every note in the solos, yours end up like mud man.
But whatever, you haven't played in a band so I don't expect you to get it.
post #72 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 03:51 PM

Bamm, particularly that last track, the guitar sounded great. gotta love Mesas - plenty of mids, warm as hell, very organic, and great dynamic response - you can hear it when you're digging in and when you're easing into notes.

I don't know what Joey's talking about - plenty of treble (without being harsh), dripping with mids, and clear yet defined bass. I dig.
post #73 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Can you mic a bass with an sm57?

Why are there different mics?

If you have bass strings in a guitar and violin strings in a guitar why would you use the same mic for both recordings?

In my crazy mind ,I would think you would use a high fidelity mic for your higher notes and a really good mic for bass response..but to use the same mic could produce a hideous tone..

hhmm or you could just get an Xt..and do what I am doing..

I am running an Xt into a 3 way crossover and my guitar will have 6 different tracs 2 lows,2 mids and 2 highs...

Now ,if I want to add bass my highs won't get hit..right now this is just a myth in my head,the crossover will be here tomorrow..

lol

JoeyDahlia
post #74 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 04:08 PM

I'm done here too...
post #75 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydahlia
Not a war,

Just we need everone to know tubes are overrated..Mic'n an amp is also..

Xt can do it..

JoeyDahlia
Dude, I have an XT, I DO know how to use it (i.e. backing off on the gain and reverb so it doesn't sound like a chainsaw in a cathedral) and there's no way it's going to sound like a properly miked Mesa. It's just not.

It's a great tool, but it's not a replacement for the real thing.

If you really believe that, you may want to consider another hobby. Because clearly you're tone deaf.

I am not trying to flame here, but seriously.

Tags
amp modeler , bass amp , bass response , chris brooks , clean tone , def leppard , dunlop crybaby , fender strat , fender twin , gain knob , gold lace sensors , higher strings , joey dahlia , kerry king , killer guitar , lace sensor , lace sensors , local music store , marshall jmp , master tone , mesa boogie , mesa nomad , modded marshall , music store , overdrive pedal , palm mute , palm muting , paul gilbert , pinch harmonics , playing guitar , power amp , practice amp , preamp gain , preamp tube , rack system , solid state amp , tone zone , tube amp , tube amps , tube combo , tube head , tube preamp , tube tone , valve amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode