Real Tube vs Amp Simulation (tone test) - Page 7 - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Re: Real Tube vs Amp Simulation (tone test)

Well go find me a recording..!!!

let's get the show on the road..proove it to me ..I want to hear the Xt gets it's ass beat...

hehehe

JoeyDahlia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 12:28 PM

Joey, I already did that in this thread. so did Bamm. We both posted two tones (both from Mesas, in fact) that were generally held to be better than yours, and the kicker is mine wasn't even all that well recorded, IMO.

I've never thoughts of amps beating each other up, but if this was a school yard, you're XT would be a little short of lunch money right now... Give it up.

-D
post #93 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydahlia
Can you mic a bass with an sm57?

Why are there different mics?

If you have bass strings in a guitar and violin strings in a guitar why would you use the same mic for both recordings?

In my crazy mind ,I would think you would use a high fidelity mic for your higher notes and a really good mic for bass response..but to use the same mic could produce a hideous tone..

hhmm or you could just get an Xt..and do what I am doing..

Funny you say that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Line6
But wait ó there's more! PODXT Pro has our newest-generation A.I.R. II cabinet/microphone modeling which allows you to choose from 4 different classic mic models and even adjust how much of the room sound you hear! There's even a dedicated studio-quality compressor. Add a bit of verb (spring, plate, hall or room) and now you're ready to track.

Your claim sorta flies in the face of the official Line6 statement, no?
post #94 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I like the different taste we all have,I think this sounds just like a mic'd cab
Ok, wait a sec here. You are saying two things at once in this thread 1) that the Xt sounds just like a mic'd cab and 2) It sounds better than a mic'd cab. Well which is it? We know by the virtue of it being a modeler, that it is trying to do it's best to sound like a mic'd amp, but we also know that it is impossible to sound exactly like one. The technology isn't there yet. FACT.

Go listen to the Vai demo on the Carvin site again, that's a really raw recording of a tube amp. Listen to how rich the harmonic interractions are. Listen to the swirling of the texture. Pay close attention to the higher frequencies and see how natural and appropriate they are in the EQ profile. Then listen closely to your set up (or any modeling amp for that matter). The difference is akin to 3D vs. 2D

If you are really insisting that you can't hear the difference, then your ears simply aren't mature enough yet (that's not a diss, my ears are still getting better after listening to music for 24 years). OR, you know that it doesn't sound just like a real mic'd tube amp and you simply prefer the sound of a digitally processed signal. <--- That is a valid statement. If you simply prefer that sound, more power to you, and you aren't "wrong".

Quote:
But it's a sweet tone as well...And more important it's an Xt...
I think that is about the extent of your argument.

"lol"
post #95 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

I already heard Vai,

I was saying that the Xt recording from Gort,kik's ass cause it sounds just like a mic'ed amp..

I think for someone who knows nothing of recording, my lead tone sounds
pretty cool...

I think it's only going to get better...

Don't ever mic an amp ,Yukie Poopie

JoeyDahlia
post #96 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 02:55 PM

It's personal preference...

again.
post #97 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 12:54 PM

Reviews: 34

Bamm, those three tracks rocked. They made me want to record again.

Drew, clear ringing tones. I really loved the rhythm sound on "Echoes of Your Soul"

I actually researched all the PODs, J-Stations etc, when I bought my rig a few years ago. To my mind those things do their job, they sound LIKE something, but not as good. For value for money, and ease of recording, of course they win, but not on absolute tone, and to be honest they don't even come close for me. I like the fact that you can just plug in, but the tone leaves me cold. I would rather hav a rack, or decent amp ad have one good tone, than 30 OK ones.

Last edited by nickcoumbe; 07-16-2005 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Forgot to give Drew the love
post #98 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 02:35 PM

Nick, see, the thing is, "Echoes" is my J-Station. The Rectifier model, a sane gain setting, with some delay going through a 1x12 cab model.

the j-Station is probably the most organic sounding modeler I've used to date, and while the Marshall models are crap, the Mesas and the Fender Blackface are quite good. Is it a match for the real thing? Not really, I haven't touched the J-Station for anything aside from bass amp stuff since I got my Nomad (I think the Recto model is closer to the Nomad's 3 Modern mode than the actual rectifier, imo, which I could never make myself care for...), but it IS possible to get useable sounds out of it.

But yeah, that was the thing... I only ever used three patches, the Fender clean, the Mark-IIC+, and the Rectifier, and that was after quite a lot of tweaking to make them sound the way they did. My Nomad, straight out of the box, sounded better to my ears than the J-Station - the tones were fairly similar, but with MUCH more open dynamics - if fact, if you dig around, somewhere here there's a thread where I posted a clip from the solo section of "Echoes" saying that that was the best tone I'd dialed up to date, but I was looking for something with a SLIGHTLY less grainy high end and that wasn't so compressed. IMO, those were the two biggest weaknesses of the J-Station (and in turn all modelers I've tried), and my nomad solved that.

Kinda funny, though, eh?
post #99 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 08:35 PM

Red face Re: Real Tube vs Amp Simulation (tone test)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
Nick, see, the thing is, "Echoes" is my J-Station.
Ok, I am a d**K. Although to be fair I never said it wasn't a J-station , and I genuinely liked it, but on balance I'm still a d**k!

I got some great sounds out of my old Korg AX10G, once I tweaked it. But I would never go back there. I like the tone of my friends crate tranny pre-amp, but those units have nothing on good valve gear. I played a Charvel 25th anni model, through a dual rec a couple of months ago; if anyone can get that sound, and the feel of it, then I will buy them a beer. There can b no greater prize. "post me a clip to show me what you mean"

PS. On Jamiroqui's "Funk Oddessy" the guitarist seems to use an AX10G quite alot, and I have to admit that I was disappointed. Somehow I felt cheated.

pps My 3 mnth old son has FINALLY gone to sleep on my lap after 7 hours of bawling. I am trying to type one-handed and make no noise. Sorry for any mistakes.

ppps I got him to sleep with Whitesnake & Malmsteem vids
post #100 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 10:47 AM

HAHAHA, awesome.

Well, yeah, that's the thing with modelers - it IS possibe to get some pretty good tones out of them. I'm a total tube snob, yet I don't even question that. However, it's also possible to get some BAD tones out of modelers, too - like anything else, you just have to learn to tweak it. And I think if there's one lesson from this thread that's worth wading through all the crap to find, it's that even inferiour gear can be made to sound pretty good with some work, and that two similar devices in the hands of two different guitarists can sound TREMENDOUSLY different. I'm sure I could sit down with Joey's XT and, after a week or so to really get a feel for it, dial up some excellent tones that I could be quite happy with on tape.

However, that's the thing. I don't WANT to, because right now all I have to do is slip a switch, wait for the little tubes to start glowing, and grab a guitar to have a tone that never fails to inspire me. The J-Station may be an easier solution, and it's extreme over-compression may make it a VERY forgiving recording amp, but it's not half as inspiring as the real thing.

Glad you liked the tones, though, thanks!

-D
post #101 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
HAHAHA, awesome.

Well, yeah, that's the thing with modelers - it IS possibe to get some pretty good tones out of them. I'm a total tube snob, yet I don't even question that. However, it's also possible to get some BAD tones out of modelers, too - like anything else, you just have to learn to tweak it. And I think if there's one lesson from this thread that's worth wading through all the crap to find, it's that even inferiour gear can be made to sound pretty good with some work, and that two similar devices in the hands of two different guitarists can sound TREMENDOUSLY different. I'm sure I could sit down with Joey's XT and, after a week or so to really get a feel for it, dial up some excellent tones that I could be quite happy with on tape.

However, that's the thing. I don't WANT to, because right now all I have to do is slip a switch, wait for the little tubes to start glowing, and grab a guitar to have a tone that never fails to inspire me. The J-Station may be an easier solution, and it's extreme over-compression may make it a VERY forgiving recording amp, but it's not half as inspiring as the real thing.

Glad you liked the tones, though, thanks!

-D

Dood, yer so wrong my xt ownz yer Nomad toobs are crap they are obsolete digital is teh future accept it luser
post #102 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris20
Dood, yer so wrong my xt ownz yer Nomad toobs are crap they are obsolete digital is teh future accept it luser
QFT, polaris 4 da win

fake edit: not
post #103 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 06:10 PM

This whole thread must be a joke or something. I've got a Marshall JMP 100 tube head .... way better than the new dsl or tsl junk. I ran the podxt through my marshall ... turned the pod to the marshall 100 watt setting .... and i'd say its about 80% true to the sound. That 20% that it's missing is the main point to me. The pod is an okay modeler .... but it's never going to sound as good as the real thing. If it was "That" good, ... wouldn't it cost more than a couple of hundred dollars? If the pod could really hit the amp it's supposed to be modeling .... i'd pay a hell of a lot more for it, but the truth is that it can't and never will.

If you want to go with digital effects .... that's great. Save cash, like i'm doing now to get an Eventide H3500, but if you think you've got " a true tube " tone with a pod. You're wasting everyone's time with your rant.

If we were to play "make believe" ..... that any amp modeler could be right on at 100% of the real thing, have 50 or more amp models available, why would anyone ever need to buy another amp?

To me, this thread is a waste of time. Buy the real stuff and have the real sound.

later, Jeremy
post #104 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 07:12 AM

TONE

http://www.tonemerchants.com/Guthrie...2005_Clips.htm

Last edited by EL-CeeDee; 07-25-2005 at 07:14 AM. Reason: wrong URL
post #105 of 198 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcmfrtablscrw
This whole thread must be a joke or something. I've got a Marshall JMP 100 tube head .... way better than the new dsl or tsl junk. I ran the podxt through my marshall ... turned the pod to the marshall 100 watt setting .... and i'd say its about 80% true to the sound. That 20% that it's missing is the main point to me. The pod is an okay modeler .... but it's never going to sound as good as the real thing. If it was "That" good, ... wouldn't it cost more than a couple of hundred dollars? If the pod could really hit the amp it's supposed to be modeling .... i'd pay a hell of a lot more for it, but the truth is that it can't and never will.

If you want to go with digital effects .... that's great. Save cash, like i'm doing now to get an Eventide H3500, but if you think you've got " a true tube " tone with a pod. You're wasting everyone's time with your rant.

If we were to play "make believe" ..... that any amp modeler could be right on at 100% of the real thing, have 50 or more amp models available, why would anyone ever need to buy another amp?

To me, this thread is a waste of time. Buy the real stuff and have the real sound.

later, Jeremy

k, how can you say that it will never, you just said its already 80% close to hitting the right sound, of course technology is going to get better and keep getting better, tubes are going to be a thing of the best just like analog telivision, since the DIGITAL tv's.

Tags
amp modeler , bass amp , bass response , chris brooks , clean tone , def leppard , dunlop crybaby , fender strat , fender twin , gain knob , gold lace sensors , higher strings , joey dahlia , kerry king , killer guitar , lace sensor , lace sensors , local music store , marshall jmp , master tone , mesa boogie , mesa nomad , modded marshall , music store , overdrive pedal , palm mute , palm muting , paul gilbert , pinch harmonics , playing guitar , power amp , practice amp , preamp gain , preamp tube , rack system , solid state amp , tone zone , tube amp , tube amps , tube combo , tube head , tube preamp , tube tone , valve amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode