Recommend me a good Camcorder - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Recommend me a good Camcorder

I have several Best Buy gift cards and I want to get a camcorder to make some you tube videos and whatnot.

Specs must be......

1. Good Audio Quality for recording loud audio (tube amps on 10 )
2. Good Video Quality cause I hate that fuzzy picture that most u-tubers have.
3. Mac Compatible
4. Around $200.00-$300.00

Thanks for the help guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 02:06 PM

Re: Recommend me a good Camcorder

I have the JVC Everio camcorder, and I've been really happy with it, easy interface and large harddrive. My only complaint is that you have to use a certain software to extract the videos from it's harddrive instead of just drag and drop. It exports to a video format that isn't compatible with Windows Movie Maker, don't know if mac can support it, but it comes with video editing software that you can edit it with or just convert.

I think it usually sells for 399, but i've seen places where its 350...i think it's worth the extra 50 bucks
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 02:22 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

you might want to consider a small digital camera like Digital Elph PowerShot SDxxx.
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...categoryid=113

Get a small tripod, 4-8GB SDHC card and you're in business for $200 max with good quality output, in computer format. You can use a sound shield if the audio is too abrupt. Added benefit is nice still pics too (plus is pocketable).

If you go with a bulkier camcorder find one with a mic input to feed audio from a mixing board straight to the video feed... glen
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Thats the best option you think.....
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 08:14 AM

I want to add a little extra spin on it, maybe it will be of interest to Nick. What about a Camcorder around that price that can also run 24 fps? I always have liked the look of 24fps over 30 when it comes to camera picture.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

what does that mean? Im a total noob when it comes to this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 11:35 AM

This has some good info and multiple points of views on the Fps thing

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/film-look...-vs-30fps.html

Really I wouldn't mind either but if I remember correctly most films are shot in 24fps

However, I have never seen a cheap camera with 24p so you will probably want to stick with what Glen said
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 11:04 AM

You don't really need GOOD audio but I see what you mean, when recording guitar videos this is what I do and it helps alot.

Say I wanted to record a video..

Heres what I used to do,
I would plug my geetar in and usually run a wah aswell, and then I would set the Hitachi HD Video camera on the computer desk next to my amp and record the song, but OH GOD I listen to it and it sounds like trash because I can hear my guitar strings and sustainer switch flicking on and off! ugh!. Ruins the whole song.

But Heavens to Betsy I want to record something!

My good chum Al McKenna told me that it would sound better if I did these exact steps..

1. Make sure your amp/pod is near your computer or other recording device.
2. Plug your guitar into your amp/pod and hopelly you have a headphone jack like most amps do.
3. Plug a cable in the headphone jack (if the hole is 1/16th inch then you need a 1/4 to 1/16 adapter to go on your cable.
4. Now the other end of that cable goes to your Line in Jack on you computer (blue hole)
5. Now then, Get a recording program like audacity or Cool Edit Pro 2, which are both free (off limewire )
6. Now you can play your guitar and hear it, while recording at the same time.
7. If you have a backtrack to a song for instance (All Alone by Joe satriani) you take you ipod or mp3 player and plug it into a mp3 jack on your amp if you have one.
8. Now you can hear your guitar and backtrack on your computer and now you can record your song.
9. OK NOW set up your camera any angle you want, do worry about having the camera pickup the sound IT DOESNT MATTER.
10. while recording that video make sure your recording program is recording you playing over that backtrack.
11. now! you got your video of you playing the song, and obviously the camera audio quality isnt as good as what is now recorded on your PC.
12. Plug your camera in and import ur little video into your video editing program (Windows movie maker works)
13. you now have your video in there and in the timeline it shows your video track and your audio track FROM THE CAMERA
14. DELETE that audio track, and take the one u recorded on ur computer and import it into collections into movie maker, drag into the timeline (NOT the storyboard)
15. Now u gotta edit it to make sure the video and ur audio are in sync.

PRESTO you now have an alright looking video with good audio.

My fingers are tired from typing all this garble, if you have any questions feel obliged to ask me.

Tags
cam corder , guitar , tube amps , you tube

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode