Recording question/advice - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Recording question/advice

I'm a sucker for smooth jazz (but who isn't) and a while back tried recording a particular style of lead and never could get it to sound right or even close. It's kind of set back in the mix, but still stands out,,, high gain, but not "in your face"... I found a good example at 2:08 in this Paul Hardcastle song:
I'd be interested to know how others get that spacious sustainy lead sound without being too "out front". Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 01:16 PM

Re: Recording question/advice

There may be a lot of compression involved to keep it sounding more 'thin' while still giving it a nice overdriven sound. That's my guess, and I'm likely wrong, lol.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 03:55 PM

Reviews: 6

sounds like a strat with compression, an eq notch accentuating the high midrange, a touch or reverb and a delay...mixed lower in the mix than one would guess...also take into account the ambience of the other instruments in the mix help give the guitar that spacious feel as well...d.m.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help! I'll give it another try. I have a new mic and interface to try as well... unfortunately the weather was nice so I spent the whole weekend working on the house.

Logic - looks like you were on the right track after all. You would know with all of the recording you do.

I never thought of the "spaciousness" of the rest of the instruments leaving so much room for the subdued lead guitar to still come through nicely. The backing track I was using definitely did not leave that kind of space.. thinking back that may have affected the outcome as much as anything else. Thanks for pointing that out Diablo.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 12:31 PM

Reviews: 6

creating space for other instruments within the frequency spectrum (or ear ability to catch instruments) can be complicated. If you are in a recording process, EQ/pan parameters can help too.

as an simple example: a piece of music I recorded a while ago (I did not really compose it as it was mostly improvised and everything was finished in less than 1 hour):
https://soundcloud.com/mathiasremy/not-even-close-2011-11-08

There are 2 leads on each side of the pan settings with a much lower volume than the main F# pedal (actually 5 layers of guitars and fake bass: guitar -12 half steps)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode