Repertoire Retention - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Repertoire Retention

Hi Guys,

Wow. I haven't been back here in at least a year or two and that is mildly relevant to what I want to discuss -- that is, how does one go about retaining their repertoire?

At first, that may seem like a straight forward question; just practice pieces every now and again intermittently, more frequently at the start and, perhaps, and less frequently after that, in order to commit to long term memory.

But how do YOU guys do it? Any other ways? Or do you just give up and not even try to remember everything you've played. I've been playing much less than I used to, but over the years I have learnt at least 40 whole pieces, yet at the moment, I can only play 3-4.

I think it would be something nice to discuss. Please let me know your opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 03:22 AM

Re: Repertoire Retention

This is the same question i asked one of my mentors a few years back. His answer was simply, just keep playing. I find that tunes become easier to retain the more you learn. So just keep playing.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 05:45 AM

Reviews: 6

I have no specific answer but I rememeber having played some Metallica songs once without noticeable problems, after having not played, nor listened to them for more than 10 years.

I think part of the explanation is to keep playing.

I know it is not giving you a firm answer, but I've also noticed that the older I get the more things (of everyday life or job) I have to keep in mind so my ability to retain the music is reduced compare to the past.
In a strange way I still remember the old things I've learned in the past, but I can't barely remember the more recent songs I tried to learn...
I tried to learn the flight of the wounded bumblebee for Bettencourt early this year, I practiced buring 2 weeks the song without even being able to remember the third of the song... Now I can't remember anything. I only know my fingers will remember when I will have the tab in front, but give me a guitar right now I've no idea where to start... Listening to the song might help though.

I also have less time to play than I used to have in the past.

Is the circle now completed?
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 12:15 PM

Play along with recordings or have band practice more than once a week.

Tags
memory , pieces , repertoire , retention

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode