The Return of the Virtuoso's!!! - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

Talking The Return of the Virtuoso's!!!

From Alexi Laiho to Zakk Wylde, there are tons of recent inspiring guitarist on the verge of getting some recognition by the stupid public. I mean its really sad that most people have never even heard of Steve Vai, one of the most notable guitar virtuoso's ever, and he has been around for quite some time too. I suppose more and more of these people are being drawn in by the undying media and the allure of "talentless hacks like Ashlee Simpson" (in the immortal words of Zakk Wlyde, heh, heh...). I mean its hard to even find a song that even contains actual "music" any more; now days all you can hear is another a$$ hole singing some crappy song on the the radio. For example, the entire punk rock and hiphop craze really took away the need for complex musical fusion and replaced it with annoying bass thumps and choppy power chords. Hey and don't get me wrong cause there are a few alternative bands worth listening to such as Audio Slave (Note that Tom Morello is one hell of a good guitarist) and Muse and a few that are more than impressive.

During 2003 and 2004 I really began to worry if the art of the guitar would begin to fade away forever. It was only during the start of 2005 that the Metal Revolution touched the world and the amazing sounds of the shred guitar and complex metal band's music expanded. Now it brings some joy to my tainted heart to see kids in the mall wearing Children of Bodom T-shirts and talking about how insane Alexi Laiho can play. I mean even at my school, there were more people than ever buying electric guitars and sort of learning how to play ( its hard to try and teach a bunch of wanna-be's and posers, but it's still nice to see some of the virtuoso's getting some much deserved attention!).

I know there were tons of other modern Virtuoso's that I didn't mention but I dont really wanna stay up all night writting a stupid essay even if it is about a musical revolution! Yeah so i guess you can put some add-ons and comments about the 2005 Metal Revolution or any of your favorite guitarist/virtuoso's. Well thanks for taking some time to read this little post and it would be nice to have some other things here about some other guitarist.

Thanx
-Solo John-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 03:58 AM

Re: The Return of the Virtuoso's!!!

I pretty much agree with you, the musical industry is pretty much the other way around from what it should be, a.k.a the most talented musicians (not only guitarists) are way less known than groups or singers that are less musically complex and rely on powerchords or sloppy bass lines. Just my 2˘ though.

-Franc-
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franc666
I pretty much agree with you, the musical industry is pretty much the other way around from what it should be, a.k.a the most talented musicians (not only guitarists) are way less known than groups or singers that are less musically complex and rely on powerchords or sloppy bass lines. Just my 2˘ though.

-Franc-
The reason for that is that powerchords or sloppy bass lines sells when you put a pair breast in between .

Regards

André

Last edited by fettouhi; 06-12-2005 at 07:59 AM.
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 07:43 AM

I've kind of noticed this as well.
I got so tired of the "it's not cool to have a guitar solo" attitude that started back in the 90s. I remember when I was teaching my nephew a few years ago. He's 16 now, but I played him a Satch song and a Vai song just to show him who uncle Kev has been talking about. He looked at me like "what the Hell his this uncle Kev?" Now of course he knows who they are and he digs that stuff although he thinks Vai is a little weird. Well,......he's right but anyway, it's good to see. Anyway, that's my $.02.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 12:25 PM

I wouldn't pin your hopes on trends. They may be getting attention now, but they won't be again at some point. And then will again later after that.

It's cool that people recognize the greatness of the instrument... but that doesn't make the fact that we sit around and geek on equipment and practice techniques any less geeky.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 01:20 PM

Alter Bridge, Audioslave, and Velvet Revolver are also all signs of life in the modern rock industry, IMO...
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 01:33 PM

I am also happy that the art of intricate guitar is finding it's way into music again. Besides the guitarists mentioned above, you also have some great players in the hardcore/metal scenes. Between The Buried And Me's Paul Waggoner & Unearth's Ken Susi and Buz McGrath certainly come to mind.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Virtuoso_6688
I mean even at my school, there were more people than ever buying electric guitars and sort of learning how to play ( its hard to try and teach a bunch of wanna-be's and posers
i think that comment is a bit arrogant (sp?) , though i do agree with your belief that guitar-oriented music is coming back. especially, like you said, in metal. i'm currently hooked on avenge sevenfold, and at the same time, pat metheny(not quite metal). metheny is a rare musician that is making music exactly the way he wants, and is internationally(once again, sp?) recognized, and profiting greatly.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 03:51 PM

Its gonna take a while for a wave of good music to wash away all the samplin rap, hip hop and solo ladies crap that covers all radio and tv...

I want to dump a sledgehammer into my tv every time i see an eminem, britney or black eyed peas video, what the hell is that????

i know, i sound like a 70 year old englishman talking about the beatles back when they came out, but come on.... taht aint music dammit!!!!!!
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianozz
Its gonna take a while for a wave of good music to wash away all the samplin rap, hip hop and solo ladies crap that covers all radio and tv...
That'll never happen. There's always been a combination of crap and non-crap in music, and that shows no sign of changing.

Why do people care what's on the radio, anyway?
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 12:11 AM

Reviews: 5

Well see where music used to change through stages, such as rock's evolution, you didn't have big conglomo's like Clear Channel and the company that owns VH1, MTV, and all the radio stations, telling everyone what they Have listen to. See most people don't understand that there is music beyond eMpTy V, and radio these days, because the same company that runs the music on tv also runs the music on the radio, they spend billions on all these cookie cutter artist and they develope a formula. See if they let something good get on the air waves that means that all their money they've invested in the crap bands and rap artist will go down the drain.

So basically, quit playing guitar and just create rap beats, I mean you could probably put out 100-200 songs a day in rap beats, and be a multi millionair in less than a year.

JK/ keep playing guitar and one day the 80's will return minus the synths and bad fashion.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 12:28 AM

I dont know what you guys are rambling about but mick from slipknot can pound out solo's all day. Alot of modern rock guitarist do they just put out what sells
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 02:55 AM

Thumbs up Re: The Return of the Virtuoso's!!!

Yes I agree with all above, nice to see some REAL musicians making their mark.

I had the pleasure of catching the Judas Priest show last weekend in Toronto, and let me tell you they ROCKED!!! Fantastic show, these 50 something metalers still know how to get it done with Halford screaming his head off and KK and Glen shredding up a storm. If you get the chance to see them, don't miss it. At the least you'll laugh your head off at the theatrics of it all. At the end of it I was trying to imagine Britney or any of the other pretenders out there trying to put on a similar show of musicianship and entertainment - NOT!

G
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunkungfu
I dont know what you guys are rambling about but mick from slipknot can pound out solo's all day. Alot of modern rock guitarist do they just put out what sells
And thats the saddest part of it all...
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianozz
And thats the saddest part of it all...
It's the biz .

Regards

André

Tags
alexi laiho , angelo batio , eddie van halen , electric guitar , frank zappa , guitar playing , left handed guitar , pat metheny , playing guitar , rusty cooley , steve vai , sweep picking , tom morello , van halen , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode