Richie Kotzen - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Richie Kotzen

There's an article on him in the new Guitar Player, pretty interesting. I think he's an amazing guitarist, but i don't care for a lot of the records he puts out. The self-titled collaboration with Greg Howe was pretty cool, and some of his recent vocal-oriented Soul/funk albums are cool too, as well as the album he did with Mr Big.
Strangely enough, in the article there's no mention at all of the fact that the reason he got tossed out of Poison was because he was banging the drummer's girlfriend :8
peace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 07:41 PM

Re: Richie Kotzen

i like Richie's albums...in fact I was fortunate enough and watched a show yesterday. The band was TIGHT, his voice wonderful, and the tunes rocked so hard. Unfortunately the attendance was small (about 500 ppl, mainly foxy dudes, and foxy dude's girlfriends like Mike Portnoy says hahahahaha)

He only used two JCM 900's and a Tele (signature) and his tone was monster.

Monster technique BTW
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 11:56 PM

so thats why he "left" poison!

i agree, his two albums with greg howe are great. i personally like greg howe's writing better, but both are incredible players.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

I agree, i definitely prefer Howe's tunes on those albums more. I don't really like "Tilt" as much as the other one.

I'm shocked that he was using the JCM's, as he has his own signature Cornford model that's getting rave reviews in all the mags(rags). Although maybe he didn't want to travel with a lot of gear, and those were rentals he was using.
peace
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom's door
There's an article on him in the new Guitar Player, pretty interesting. I think he's an amazing guitarist, but i don't care for a lot of the records he puts out. The self-titled collaboration with Greg Howe was pretty cool, and some of his recent vocal-oriented Soul/funk albums are cool too, as well as the album he did with Mr Big.
Strangely enough, in the article there's no mention at all of the fact that the reason he got tossed out of Poison was because he was banging the drummer's girlfriend :8
peace
Ohh so that's why he got kicked out of poison.

Regards

André

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 04:37 AM

Richie is an amazing guitar player his first solo records are simply WOW. His work with Greg is top notch it's hard to grasp they weren't in the same room when they recorded these songs.

Regards

André

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 02:43 PM

Richie out of poison is such old news but i have to say it was a good thing. he should have never been in that band. to me, i always thought that was an insult to him. that's like replacing michael jordan (yes when he was with the bulls) with ME!..... you know what i mean.

phone rings...... hey richie, would you be interested in being in poison?

yeah right. the only reason i could see it a decent move is to get him in the public eye more. he's way too good for that stuff.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 03:37 PM

They should have tossed Rikki Rokkett instead, he "lost"!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibateur
They should have tossed Rikki Rokkett instead, he "lost"!
Wouldn't have helped much either .

Regards

André

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 04:33 PM

I'm so angry when I see people remembering Kotzen for his guitar records, he did that over 10 years ago! Nowadays he's a killer singer/songwriter who does a hell of a live show...and oh yeah, he's still got the chops!

I saw him last year here in Chile and I was mesmerized. Since then, he's become my favorite MUSICIAN, a huge talent sadly not recognized enough.

For those who remember his perm on his Rock Chops video, I recommend getting "Mother Heads Family Reunion", "Change" and "Get Up", my personal favorite records of his. The stuff he did with Mr. Big was also amazing.

If you want to "sample", I'd recommend the songs "Mother Head's Family Reunion", "High", "So Cold" and "Remember".
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 08:29 PM
rgr

Mother Head's Family Reunion rocks! Yeah, he's changed alot from the Varney Shredder days, he is a killer singer-songwriter nowadays, and he still plays a bada$$ guitar, but with alot more soul now. So has Greg Howe, has anyone checked out Extraction with Victor Wooten and Dennis Chambers? Cool fusion disc.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprile
I'm so angry when I see people remembering Kotzen for his guitar records, he did that over 10 years ago!
Excellent point. Anything that's not new sucks. I mean, just look at the billboard charts.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr
Mother Head's Family Reunion rocks! Yeah, he's changed alot from the Varney Shredder days, he is a killer singer-songwriter nowadays, and he still plays a bada$$ guitar, but with alot more soul now. So has Greg Howe, has anyone checked out Extraction with Victor Wooten and Dennis Chambers? Cool fusion disc.
The Howe, Wooten and Chambers is simply beyong belief . This fusion at its best .

Regards

André

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprile
I'm so angry when I see people remembering Kotzen for his guitar records, he did that over 10 years ago! Nowadays he's a killer singer/songwriter who does a hell of a live show...and oh yeah, he's still got the chops!

I saw him last year here in Chile and I was mesmerized. Since then, he's become my favorite MUSICIAN, a huge talent sadly not recognized enough.

For those who remember his perm on his Rock Chops video, I recommend getting "Mother Heads Family Reunion", "Change" and "Get Up", my personal favorite records of his. The stuff he did with Mr. Big was also amazing.

If you want to "sample", I'd recommend the songs "Mother Head's Family Reunion", "High", "So Cold" and "Remember".
His newer stuff is great too, but I am just more into instrumental music these days and his instrumental records are top notch, period!

Regards

André

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 07:23 AM

Reviews: 34

To be fair, that's why I was thrown out of Poison too.

Tags
mike portnoy , scott henderson , victor wooten

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode