Right Hand position - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Right Hand position

So, I'm mostly self-taught and been playing for 40 years or so, but recently started taking more lessons. My instructor wants me to lay my right hand/palm flatter against the strings while picking to mute them. I know it's the right thing to do, but since I've been doing it so long the 'wrong way', I can't seem to adjust. I also know that I have a lot of string noise because my hand is raised up off the strings/bridge. I try to compensate by doing more muting with my left hand on the neck, and I do ok with that, but I'd like to change.

Has anyone else overcome this change, and if so, how did you do it? Just persevere? It just feels so unnatural to me and requires effort to keep my hand down. When I try it, ALL of the strings are muted, even the ones I'm playing, plus it feels like I have to maneuver my pick fingers more up and down over the strings.

I do have an inherited physical issue, that prevents me from raising my hand back 90 degrees to my arm. I'd say with my arm on a table I can rais my hand about 45 degrees. Just the way my bones was made, not a disability. My cousins can't even bend their arms straight, but I don't have that problem. But I don't know if this has anything to do with it, and don't want to be a whiner.

-cp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 01:24 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Right Hand position

i'd really, really recommend leaving it alone. i find most players who over-anchor lose/lack the ability to dynamically pick & vary tone with how their pick attack. not sure what type of lessons you're taking but you can fix one "problem" and create 3 others. watch any guitar guru & how they mute with the fret hand while even strumming on one string... glen

Tags
right hand position mute

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode