Rolling Stone's Top 100 Guitarists of All Time - Page 2 - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 12:45 AM

And Satch, and Yngwie and Slash???? :S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 12:52 AM

I don't see my name on that list!!!
post #18 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEMavenger
I don't see my name on that list!!!
That's odd... your name should appear on that list... you once looked at a guitar, right?

hmmmmmmmm
post #19 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 05:37 AM

They probably paid someone to go through their whole back catalog, and write down anyone who said "I'm a guitarist". THEN they had the Olsen twins sort it out..

Rhoads #85?!?! With Keith "I've done more drugs than all of NYC combined" Richards at #10?

BTW, does anyone else see the little girls they were on Full House, no matter how old they get? I'll never be able to think of them as hot if that image doesn't fade...
post #20 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 07:01 AM

Precisely why I had stopped reading "Rolling Stone" close to twenty years ago. I do remember seeing Madonna on the cover a few years back under the heading "The Artist of the Decade". Yeah, artist. I can't seem to be able to locate the vomiting emoticon. I do find the white stripe inclusion as most entertaining though.

At least Fripp made their list.
post #21 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 08:54 PM

kurt cobain at 12 and van halen at 70????

something is wrong....
post #22 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 09:11 PM

I think the problem was that they didn't even know of 100 guitarists so they had to pick a player from their favorite songs...of course, Jack White is so deserving of his spot on that list...I entirely agree that he should be on a list that includes the best of "All Time" even though he's only been known for like, what is it now? - 17, 18 days?
post #23 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 10:46 PM

You have GOT to be kidding me, I consider the two biggest jokes of this list to be John Frusciante and The Edge of U2. I feel sorry for John sometimes, to see him play live and really fighting to get out some decent sounding notes, it's pathetic. Listen to his playing on the song californiacation, half the notes he hit are dead notes, I think it's one of the most horrible solos ever played by a guitarist of a major rock act.

Since we all agree completely that this list is a frickin' joke, let's make our own all time top ten

I'll begin with:

1. Yngwie malmsteen (Mostly for his tone, vibrato and sense of melody, but also for his virtuoso technique, wich btw tends to be really overused,but there's simply not a living musician that can take a few notes and make them sound so heartaching as he can
2. Steve Vai
3. Joe Satriani
4. Paul Gilbert (The most adaptive guitarist in the scene!)
5. Nicolo Paganini (Mainly a violinist, but after trying to play alot of paganini classical guitar pieces, and I realize I'm so far away from doing it right, I think VERY few guitarists of today can do what he did)
6. Eddie van Halen (together with malmsteen and hendrix, by far the most influential electric guitarists)
7. Jeff Beck
8. Ritchie Blackmore (It disturbs me to see him less and less mentioned nowadays, he was one of the first to really break away from the pentatonic, probably responsible for the neoclassical hysteria of the 80's)
9. Rhandy Rhoads
10. Göran Söllscher (again, a classical guitarist, but this dude plays lightning licks on a nylon stringed guitar with just two of the fingers of his right hand instead of a pick, and is soloist in the purest essence of the word)

What disturbs me is that there is noone on the list born in the 70's or later (ok, so paganini is, but 18th century doesn't count! ), wich indicates a strong stagnation of godly players. Am I the only one to see that guitarists that started playing this decade VERY seldomly practises hard?

Nough said, now it's your turn!
post #24 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 11:48 PM

Olof,

I feel your pain brother!!

I was born in 1978, and I practice and study theory like a madman... I read the Guitar Grimoire for fun , and while on the sh*tter.

But most of my peers, and fellow players ....do not.

Today, a local guitar teacher stopped in because he heard my lessons are getting popular at my store. (Note: I opened a music store 2 months ago).

I wanted to pick his brain because he is the veteran in the area.....with 96 weekly students....he teachers 50 hours a week.

I asked him today at what point he introduces the 5 pentatonic boxes, and scales and modes of the major scale to the students.

His reply blew me away "Oh, I don't know any of that crap, and frankly... my students don't care....I show them songs, and treat them like rock stars...they don't want to learn theory BS, they just want to ROCK!!"

Sadly, this is who is teaching 96 area students.

No wonder all the local bands sound like hell.

Meanwhile Olof , I agree with everything you said...except #6.

Eddie Van Halen , together with CLAPTON and Hendrix, are by far the most influencial guitarist.

Don't get me wrong..... I love Malmsteen.

I love his honesty.... I love his interviews where he pulls no punches, instead of sucking everyone's ass like 99% of stars being interviewed do.......

And heck... tonight I am working on Black Star, with my trusty Guitar Grimoire beside me.

Yngwie has influenced many..... there is no doubt.

BUT no where near as many....in each of the last 4 decades as Eric Clapton.

post #25 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 11:48 PM

I also don't see Wes Montgomery, Charlie Christian, Joe Pass, Allan Holdsworth, Al Di Meola and on and on...RS=idiots.
post #26 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-30-2003, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof_Morck
You have GOT to be kidding me, I consider the two biggest jokes of this list to be John Frusciante and The Edge of U2.
Hmm, i agree that the list is a joke, but at least the Edge happens to be, IMHO, one of the players that do belong on this list, maybe not for plain technique, but a relatively revolutionary approach to the guitar (see last 3-4 U2 albums)...

In the end, it's all relative, for one, a good guitarist is someone who can play diminished string-skipping sweep arpeggios at light speed, for another it's someone who can incorporate innovative guitar playing into catchy songs....(BTW, Jack White is in neither of these categories)
post #27 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-30-2003, 04:06 AM
ns9

lmao....

Uli Jon Roth...hmmm
Al Dimeola....hmmm
Michael Schenker...hmmm
Randy @ 85? And all the others mentioned?
Then again, it does come from a magazine that has yet to even understand what music is. "100 Greatest PERFORMERS that happened to hold a guitar at one time or another." Woulda been a bit more appropriate. Maybe that just wouldn't fit on the cover; shoulda sac'd one of the twins for the better title to fit. After all, they are twins

Plus, they forgot Andy Griffith. House of the Rising Sun on the front porch? Classic. Inspired me to play....

Nikki
post #28 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-30-2003, 09:53 AM

OH... I know who they forgot.

I can't believe Mary Kate didn't bring it to the editor's attention.

Uncle Jesse from full house....aka John Stamos.

Yeah, Remember when the already lame show got even lamer when they ran out of "mischief with the twins" stories , Uncle Jesse became a biker Harley dude who played in a band who seem to only ever have gig's in the Tanner's living room.

Then Jesse hooked up with Bob Fag*ot's co-host , Rebecca , who was cute ..... but was so prim and proper looking , it was real believable that she wanted biker uncle Jesse..... they then had twins also. Who would have thought?

Meanwhile, uncle Joey (not really an uncle) walked around and talked like Popeye , with used underwear on his head in a couple episodes.

How did the show stay on air for 5 seasons?

Meanwhile, I nominate Uncle Jesse from full house #6 greatest of all time.

6. Uncle Jesse , once held a guitar = guitar legend.
post #29 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-30-2003, 11:34 AM

Shows you what you can do with your Rolling Stone subscriptions...
post #30 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-30-2003, 01:27 PM

Reviews: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarWizard
OH... I know who they forgot.

I can't believe Mary Kate didn't bring it to the editor's attention.

Uncle Jesse from full house....aka John Stamos.

Yeah, Remember when the already lame show got even lamer when they ran out of "mischief with the twins" stories , Uncle Jesse became a biker Harley dude who played in a band who seem to only ever have gig's in the Tanner's living room.

Then Jesse hooked up with Bob ******ot's co-host , Rebecca , who was cute ..... but was so prim and proper looking , it was real believable that she wanted biker uncle Jesse..... they then had twins also. Who would have thought?

Meanwhile, uncle Joey (not really an uncle) walked around and talked like Popeye , with used underwear on his head in a couple episodes.

How did the show stay on air for 5 seasons?

Meanwhile, I nominate Uncle Jesse from full house #6 greatest of all time.

6. Uncle Jesse , once held a guitar = guitar legend.
Only worthwhile post in this thread!

Tags
allan holdsworth , angus young , backing track , danny gatton , david gilmour , eddie van halen , electric guitar , eric clapton , eric johnson , frank zappa , guitar players , guitar playing , jeff beck , jerry cantrell , jimi hendrix , jimmy page , joe perry , joe satriani , john coltrane , john mclaughlin , john petrucci , keith richards , kirk hammet , kirk hammett , kurt cobain , les paul , limp bizkit , mark knopfler , michael schenker , music store , neil young , nigel tufnel , nuno bettencourt , pat metheny , paul gilbert , pink floyd , randy rhoads , ray vaughan , ritchie blackmore , robben ford , robert fripp , robert johnson , sammy hagar , scott henderson , steve howe , steve morse , steve vai , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughan , ted nugent , tom morello , tony iommi , tony macalpine , uli jon roth , van halen , vernon reid , wah pedal , yngwie malmsteen , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode