Rolling Stone's Top 100 Guitarists of All Time - Page 3 - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-30-2003, 02:00 PM

thats right...now that i think about it Uncle Jesse seemed to always have gigs in his living room.

but then he sort of became a big superstar and went to Japan or something i remember something like that. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-30-2003, 02:27 PM

I wouldn't take this so seriously from a magazine that put "American Idol" on the cover........ They have the same creditabilty as Teen Beat..
post #33 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-30-2003, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarWizard

And heck... tonight I am working on Black Star, with my trusty Guitar Grimoire beside me.
That's awsome dude! Are going to record it?? Cause, I have VERY seldom heard anyone record yngwie's stuff!
I am just in the process of recording "Far beyond the sun" for my mp3.com page, a tune so VERY much more challenging than recording i.e for the love of god, both technically and emotionally...
Again, I forgive my flame-like post some topics down, but I think u saw my point of it
And I know exactly what you mean; "todays guitaists just want to rock", that quote says it all dude! There's not the least bit of passion for the music in todays players, and I guess it's all because the musical climate of the 90's, we just don't have any musical heroes of our generation... When young guitarists listen to limp bizkit and linkin park, they think that that's the ****, that's what it's all about. There's nothing in that music that motivates hours of pratice, learning scales, modes and harmony. I guess I was kind of lucky, I grew up in the middle of the so-called "gothenburg sound" hype, very known here in europe, with LOTS of ass-kicking guitarists right here in my town, and I was also raised as a classical violinist. I'm just 20, and it pains me to realize, that none in my age knows how to play. i'm not saying I'm all that, it's not my point, my point is that I practice hard, somtimes up to 15 hours straight.
After all, almost anyone can become a great guitarist, but there are no shortcuts, just practise!
Ok, I'm rambling again, so excuse me for now

My band: http://fade.to/dragonland
My mp3.com page: http://www.mp3.com/olof_morck
post #34 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-30-2003, 04:12 PM

Hey olof , just checked out your mp3 page! , nice stuff dude , love your bach piece! , I cant wait for that far beyond the sun cover , i am a BIG fan of yngwie too , i learnt alot of that song , and i went looking for the backing track , found it , but then never got around to recording it , so i hope to do that soetime soon , great axe u got dude!! , sounds awesome
post #35 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-30-2003, 05:22 PM

Jeeze...where the hell is Joe Satriani??? (Steve should be on too :-) )
I personally think this list is a joke...I mean Hendrix being no.1 was almost a given before it was even written...but where the hell is Satch, Vai, Malmsteen, SLASH??? Come on! Obviously they just go with the well known people like Clapton, Hendrix, Vaughan, Brian May etc... I really can't believe Joe Satriani isn't on there though. I remember seeing another top 100 (might have been 50) guitarists...Hendrix was no.1 obviously, can't remember the top 10, but Satch, Vai, Vaughan and Slash were all in there...that's more like it
post #36 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 06:08 AM

--" ...but aren't they just a bunch of [email protected]' posers..."-- Steve Vai, [email protected] yourself

A guitar legend and his legendary vision
post #37 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 01:35 PM

I can only imagine how much your fingers hurt after having to type that whole list out
I saw the Ramones well over 200 times, but Johnny doesn't get # 16. Influence or not, BB doesn't get # 3 either. I guess if they had continued on to 1000 or 10,000 they might have gotten to Andres Segovia, but who knows?

jim
post #38 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 03:30 PM

I feel sick, that list was the worst thing i have ever seen

"The white f*ckin strips"

(gag vomit laugh and then vomit again) - with nothing against the white strips this is NOT a list for them (him)

Dave Gilmore so low, man he should have been in the top 15
post #39 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 01:38 AM

All those artists listed wrote some great songs and contributed a lot to their genres.

But for **** sakes.....give credit where it's due
post #40 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 02:04 PM

From what I gather, This is the BEST guitarists right? Some of the people on there are certainly INFLUENCIAL but definately not the BEST. For instance Kurt Cobain influenced a who generation of musicians... But he certainly wasn't a good guitarist.
If they were going for Influencial guitarists then they should have titled it as such....But as this seems to be a best guitarist list and I'd say that at least half of the people on it could be replaced with better players...

...And Jack White? Yeah Right!

J
post #41 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 03:14 PM

Its stuff like this that induces further territoriality and hostility amoungst guitarists and guitar fans, and serves no other concievable purpose .

There should never be a 100 best list of anything based on individaul preferences ie art.
post #42 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the third eye
of all time???

doesn't matter what the criteria... Chet Atkins should be on it
Amen, brother!
post #43 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 02:18 PM

Reviews: 3
Forgive me as I skimmed this list... but were there any pre-1960 guitarists on this list aside from Les Paul?
post #44 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarWizard
OH... I know who they forgot.

I can't believe Mary Kate didn't bring it to the editor's attention.

Uncle Jesse from full house....aka John Stamos.
Man, just skimming through the post I saw that and though you were talking about Uncle Jesse from "The Dukes of Hazzard" and I thought what the hell is he doing with Mary Kate and Ashly Olson?
post #45 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 01:58 AM

I fully expected this list to be a joke, and wasn't disappointed. However, I will say that when I saw the dude's name from White Stripes on the list, I immediately shut down my laptop and ran a virus scan. When I think of all the great players on that list, and also the many, many who are not, I have to wonder why does this type of thing still exist and who exactly assembles such a list???

I'm surprised the guitar playing brother from Hanson wasn't mentioned. I'm sure he practiced *at least* a whole month before they got their big deal.

Oom Bop baby

Tags
allan holdsworth , angus young , backing track , danny gatton , david gilmour , eddie van halen , electric guitar , eric clapton , eric johnson , frank zappa , guitar players , guitar playing , jeff beck , jerry cantrell , jimi hendrix , jimmy page , joe perry , joe satriani , john coltrane , john mclaughlin , john petrucci , keith richards , kirk hammet , kirk hammett , kurt cobain , les paul , limp bizkit , mark knopfler , michael schenker , music store , neil young , nigel tufnel , nuno bettencourt , pat metheny , paul gilbert , pink floyd , randy rhoads , ray vaughan , ritchie blackmore , robben ford , robert fripp , robert johnson , sammy hagar , scott henderson , steve howe , steve morse , steve vai , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughan , ted nugent , tom morello , tony iommi , tony macalpine , uli jon roth , van halen , vernon reid , wah pedal , yngwie malmsteen , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode