Rolling Stone's Top 100 Guitarists of All Time - Page 4 - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 08:46 AM

Reviews: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabuki
I'm surprised the guitar playing brother from Hanson wasn't mentioned. I'm sure he practiced *at least* a whole month before they got their big deal.

Oom Bop baby
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if he was in the 1996 edition of this list. Along with several other pop culture icons of the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 05:09 PM

Ah, c'mon it's not going to make or break anyone's career. It's Rolling Stone ffs!

So EVH is at #70. That's laughable, but again: it's Rolling Stone ffs!!! Mick Ronson really is a unique voice, so I'm happy with that.

But no Nigel Tufnell?!?!? This list goes up to 101.
post #48 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 09:24 AM

This list doesn't even come close to being a joke. It's a freaking insult, the problem is with RS is that the list would have looked completely different if it were published back in 1993. This just goes to show that RS is nothing more than a fame contest. That means it lacks any musical substance.

Regards

André Fettouhi

post #49 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 04:16 AM

Re: Rolling Stone's Top 100 Guitarists of All Time

wow...this list is so old. but my friend and i were arguing about the greatest guitar players of all times. of course he doesn't even know who satriani is so it was like arguing with ignorance. anyway i put clapton #1.

where the eff is slash?!?!
post #50 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashier432
wow...this list is so old. but my friend and i were arguing about the greatest guitar players of all times. of course he doesn't even know who satriani is so it was like arguing with ignorance. anyway i put clapton #1.

where the eff is slash?!?!
Where is anybody good on that list .

Regards

André

post #51 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi

Regards

André
Well, apparently guitarists like Vai, Satriani, Jeff Beck will be forgotten by the next generation. Instead bands like Linkin Park, New Found Glory and Simple Plan will be considered rock icons.
post #52 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 09:29 AM

red hot chili peppers guitarist is higher ranked than players like mark knopfler, what a joke..

and i second on chet atkins
post #53 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze_1
Linkin Park, New Found Glory and Simple Plan will be considered rock icons.
I guess we won't seeing a new Jimi Hendrix etc. for a long with those as rock icons .

Regards

André

post #54 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 10:22 AM

Obviously....talent wasn't a consideration here. I'm still wondering what was
post #55 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 12:15 PM

Yes this list isn't worthy of being toilet paper.

Here are some of the guitarists that I think are very talented and/or choose the right notes.

1. Steve Vai
2. Joe Satriani
3. Yngwie Malmsteen
4 Eric Johnson
5 Phil Keaggy
6. Eddie Van Halen
7. Neal Schoen
8. Slash
9. Jimi Hendrix
10 Randy Rhoads
11 Paul Gilbert
12 Nuno Bettencourt
13 Zakk Wylde
14 Rik Emmett
15 John Petrucci
16 Edge
17 Jimmy Page
18 Brian May
19 David Gilmour
20 Angus Young
21 Tony Macalpine

Ok I'll stop there.
post #56 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 12:23 PM

Much better - although I'd have the order a bit different.

Hey....where is STEVE MORSE???
post #57 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 12:25 PM

You're right sorry - forgot.

1. Steve Vai
2. Joe Satriani
3. Yngwie Malmsteen
4 Eric Johnson
5 Phil Keaggy
6. Eddie Van Halen
7. Neal Schoen
8. Slash
9. Jimi Hendrix
10 Randy Rhoads
11 Paul Gilbert
12 Nuno Bettencourt
13 Zakk Wylde
14 Rik Emmett
15 John Petrucci
16 Edge
17 Jimmy Page
18 Brian May
19 David Gilmour
20 Angus Young
21 Tony Macalpine
22 Steve Morse
post #58 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi

Regards

André
john mclaughlin, steve howe, robert fripp, duane allman, trey anastasio, jimi hendrix, bb king. thats all i could think of. which is kinda sad considering its a 100 list.

in all honesty though, were all looking at it from a musicians point of view. im not sure thats the best way to look at it, but most RS readers arent musicians and dont listen to progressive music. sure vai and holdsworth should have been on there amongst others but a decent chunk of those guitarists listed had a sizeable impact on popular music as a whole, not just the guitar. however including joan mother****ing jett over charlie christian the FIRST MAJOR ELECTRIC GUITARIST EVER could be the biggest steaming pile ive ever seen. and van halen, the man who revolutionized music and the guitar at 70 behind such luminaries as jack white of the white stripes and the tool bags from sonic youth? and david gilmour at 83? angus young in the 90's? no slash? they must have been smoking the weed they give to cancer patients to put VH at 70.

my top 10:
1. holdsworth
2. pat metheny
3. scott henderson
4. wes montgomery
5. vai
6. kurt rosenwinkel
7. danny gatton
8. robben ford
9. i guess petrucci just because hes the only other guitarist i listen to on a regular basis.
10. john coltrane because hes the ****.
post #59 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 12:40 PM

thank you spencer, finally someone mentioned metheny and gatton. and now to add my personal favorite, greg howe. and where the hell is scott henderson!?
.............jack from the white stripes? this is really a slap in the face to any decent guitarist out there................ and i guess there are no jazz guitarists good enough for that list. wes montgomery is a joke anyway..............
post #60 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 12:14 PM

They forgot Sponge Bob Square Pants. I've seen him playing a Gibson V!

Tags
allan holdsworth , angus young , backing track , danny gatton , david gilmour , eddie van halen , electric guitar , eric clapton , eric johnson , frank zappa , guitar players , guitar playing , jeff beck , jerry cantrell , jimi hendrix , jimmy page , joe perry , joe satriani , john coltrane , john mclaughlin , john petrucci , keith richards , kirk hammet , kirk hammett , kurt cobain , les paul , limp bizkit , mark knopfler , michael schenker , music store , neil young , nigel tufnel , nuno bettencourt , pat metheny , paul gilbert , pink floyd , randy rhoads , ray vaughan , ritchie blackmore , robben ford , robert fripp , robert johnson , sammy hagar , scott henderson , steve howe , steve morse , steve vai , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughan , ted nugent , tom morello , tony iommi , tony macalpine , uli jon roth , van halen , vernon reid , wah pedal , yngwie malmsteen , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode