Rolling Stone's Top 100 Guitarists of All Time - Page 5 - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 11:41 AM

Re: Rolling Stone's Top 100 Guitarists of All Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugman
They forgot Sponge Bob Square Pants. I've seen him playing a Gibson V!
He might be in the top 10 next time RS publishes its list .

Regards

André

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 07:20 PM

Wheres Dbd God Wheres Dbd Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
post #63 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 09:52 PM

Actually the rating is insane doesn't seem right
post #64 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 09:18 AM

Jimi Hendrix #1 - What a chiché. Okay, he probably is one of the best, but i'd probably rate Vai higher because he's done more for guitar (Which is great considering he's no-where to be seen on the list).

Vai being off the list is a joke. Kurt Cobain being 100 places higher then him... Sure!!! That make's a whole lot of bloody sense.
I'd never say Kurt Cobain was a great guitarist. He was a songwritter if that.

Eddie Van Halen being lower then many people on the list is bollocks aswell.

Some other people missing of the list - Satiani (oh come on!), Petrucci, Malmsteen, many more. How can RS possibly justify not including Vai, Satriani etc. Afterall, nearly EVERY guitarist in the world has heard of them and lots aspire to play like them. They are idols for guitarists. Not having them in the list is the biggest pile of horse dung i've seen in a while.

This article was written by Friday night's puke on the street.
post #65 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 01:08 PM

ITS NOT A LIST OF THE 100 BEST VIRTUOSOS!!!!!!!!! its a list of the greatest guitarists listed by A POPULAR MUSIC magazine not by a GUITAR PLAYER magazine. all the people listed are major players in the genres that rolling stone readers listen to. the fact is vai is a progressive musician. so is petrucci and satch (who i hate) and EJ (who i loathe) and millions of others. they have little to no impact on music as a whole regardless of what we think of them. as a musician vai and holdsworth and wes montgomery are hugely important, but to a non musician, they havent even heard of these guys.

its a list of 100 greatest guitarists for non-musicians because the majority of people who read rolling stone arent musicians and dont give 2 ****s about virtuosos who make music just for other musicans to appreciate. its a sad fact but its true. if a guitar publication made a top 100 list im positive vai and holdsworth and petrucci and satch and EJ would be on there, but RS is not a guitar publication so dont judge the list by the same standards.

we all agree vai and co. should be at least included over such *luminaries* as joan jett and the loser from the ramones and we all agree that EVH should be higher than jack white and tom morello. but hendrix is undoubtedly #1. whoever said vai has done more for guitar must be smoking rocks. listen to music pre-hendrix then after. thats the argument's closing right there. NOBODY outside JS Bach and Mozart and the Beatles have done more for music as a whole and ABSOLUTELY NOBODY is more identifiable with the instrument. case closed.
post #66 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 04:46 PM

Vai: Alcatraz, DLR - Both popular in the 80s
EVH: Popular in the 80s also

I could easily say that lots of people have listened to Vai and EVH without realising it. I mean, look at GTA-Vice City the computer game. Vai was on there a bit
post #67 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 08:32 AM

so? there are a lot of guitarists people have heard a ****load of that werent on there. vai did very little to change the popular musical landscape. it sucks cuz i love his music and think he should be on there regardless, but i understand why they left him off.
post #68 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 10:19 AM

What about rolling stones top 100 drum machines?
post #69 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 08:50 PM

Wont this post of a retarded list made by retarded people just go away and die?
post #70 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer096
so? there are a lot of guitarists people have heard a ****load of that werent on there. vai did very little to change the popular musical landscape. it sucks cuz i love his music and think he should be on there regardless, but i understand why they left him off.

Yeah, i agree with you on that point but i'm just making conversation

Thinking about it, Lukather and EVH should be higher then. They got Jacko onto MTV
post #71 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 11:24 AM

Top 100 Guitarists of all time.

Joe Satriani and Steve Vai are two of the greatest guitarists of all time. Whether you are a musician or not.

End of story.
post #72 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 11:44 AM

Reviews: 6

joan jett and jack white shouldn't be on there. Steve Howe should be higher up on the list and Clapton should be lower on the list. In my opinion clapton is one of the most over rated guitarists ever. Good? Yes, but not enough to be deserving of all the praise he's gotten over the years. I guess it's like whores, old buildings and politicians: you stick around long enough you end up getting some respect.
PS: Vais song F*ck yourself comes to mind. Especially his comments about rolling stone. (aren't they all just a bunch of F*cking posers?)
post #73 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 07:28 PM

This is an old thread, but I'm going to respond anyways. Rolling Stone does not cater to guitarists, or even musicians really. Nobody (and by nobody I mean the general public) has heard of Steve Vai or Joe Satriani, and since Rolling Stone is in the business of making money, they are going to put familiar artists down on a list and clearly mark who is better than whom. People dig that stuff.
post #74 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 04:50 PM

No one even gonna mention Randy Rhoads' spot in this list..He has had more of an influence on the greatest guitarist of the modern age than anyone else on this list. No one has yet to date ever composed such melodic music with mind melting heavy metal riffs. He is the Nicolo Paganini of our time. R.I.P Randy Rhoads
post #75 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 05:33 PM

Nice Necro man

Tags
allan holdsworth , angus young , backing track , danny gatton , david gilmour , eddie van halen , electric guitar , eric clapton , eric johnson , frank zappa , guitar players , guitar playing , jeff beck , jerry cantrell , jimi hendrix , jimmy page , joe perry , joe satriani , john coltrane , john mclaughlin , john petrucci , keith richards , kirk hammet , kirk hammett , kurt cobain , les paul , limp bizkit , mark knopfler , michael schenker , music store , neil young , nigel tufnel , nuno bettencourt , pat metheny , paul gilbert , pink floyd , randy rhoads , ray vaughan , ritchie blackmore , robben ford , robert fripp , robert johnson , sammy hagar , scott henderson , steve howe , steve morse , steve vai , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughan , ted nugent , tom morello , tony iommi , tony macalpine , uli jon roth , van halen , vernon reid , wah pedal , yngwie malmsteen , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode