RUSTY COOLEY 08 Betcha Can't Play This - Page 5 - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 08:51 PM

Re: RUSTY COOLEY 08 Betcha Can't Play This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosa View Post
Rusty CAN be really musical if he wants too. The slow parts are quite good imo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYTd9ypavP0
lol this is the perfect example of his playing.. lmfao

he does alright until 00:19.. there are a few nice runs around 1:50 - 2:15, then hes at it again.. sigh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
frig off if your going to be a baby and cry about what i just said.
I got no beef with you expressing your opinion about his music. And you backed it up with examples. It is when people say he is a douche that I begin to wonder if there is a reason or documentation of him being douche like. I don't think anyone is going to cry over your critic of his playing.
post #63 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
I got no beef with you expressing your opinion about his music. And you backed it up with examples. It is when people say he is a douche that I begin to wonder if there is a reason or documentation of him being douche like. I don't think anyone is going to cry over your critic of his playing.
ive only heard good things about his attitude and friendliness, and Amen to people who are like 'omfghi i am threatened because they are better than me'
post #64 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:
ive only heard good things about his attitude and friendliness, and Amen to people who are like 'omfghi i am threatened because they are better than me'
he is nice, ive talked to him and told him how to setup his lessons by using Weiner's as an example but when he plays and sometimes when talks he gets a face that makes me feel like im not sure if he is acting nice or it is just how he looks btw I didnt mean to call him a douche he just sometimes makes me feel like secretly he is one haha
post #65 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 11:35 PM

Maybe he's doing the whole "I'm a metal badass thing." Like in the 80s. Even PG did that in the 80s and early 90s.
post #66 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
Maybe he's doing the whole "I'm a metal badass thing." Like in the 80s. Even PG did that in the 80s and early 90s.
hah maybe you are right, never thought of that.
This is sorta what I'm talking about by the way
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOcA2oW9DGU

btw this is sick, I've had it on my youtube favorites for awhile, its less straight shredding and it sounds pretty damn good especially that whammy use
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGVec549bpk
post #67 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
hah maybe you are right, never thought of that.
This is sorta what I'm talking about by the way
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOcA2oW9DGU
I don't see anything offensive other than he is breaking the speed limit.
post #68 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
I don't see anything offensive other than he is breaking the speed limit.
well then maybe I am the douche, maybe this isnt reality at all! but I guess you are right, I do wish he'd put on that helmet that is in the background though.
post #69 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 12:00 AM

Yeah, I was talking more about his interviews than his playing face. I make a ugly face when I play too, can't falt him on that.

In the second video, don't you just have to say how much better that Ibanez looks than his newer guitars. And I find it funny that he could still easily play all theose difficult passages that now require that hideous horn on the new guitar.

Last edited by kotornut; 04-15-2008 at 09:45 AM.
post #70 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 01:07 AM

Quote:
lol this is the perfect example of his playing.. lmfao

he does alright until 00:19.. there are a few nice runs around 1:50 - 2:15, then hes at it again.. sigh
I couldn't actually listen to that whole video... I just didn't like it at all.

It's like he only sees 2 speeds of playing anything - half time and triple time

Now, to be able to play that fast is impressive. But as someone has already said, you don't need to always be trying to prove to someone that you are fast enough to "be cool" or something.

As for that "under the Influence" video - that was basically just another kind of take on the "Eruption" concept: No recognisable or predictable structure, no repeated riff or melodic line - it's not an instrumental so much as just a display of talent. And in this case, I don't really think it works because it's just not that interesting.

And on top of it all, I think his tone is really generic

Sorry if I've offended any Rusty fans. Take note though that I haven't said anything bad about his personality.
post #71 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 01:18 AM

he sure likes his cutaways haha
post #72 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michblanch View Post

You guys are passing judgement on a 3 minute video.
i never passed judgement on him, so read what I said first.

i made a side comment on the 'piece' he was playing.

it sounded like a Dalek having multiple orgsam and bore no resemblance to anything tuneful or melodic, which I naively thought a guitar was for..
post #73 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 03:16 AM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TequilaKing View Post
i never passed judgement on him, so read what I said first.

i made a side comment on the 'piece' he was playing.

it sounded like a Dalek having multiple orgsam and bore no resemblance to anything tuneful or melodic, which I naively thought a guitar was for..
HAHAHA! Oh man well spoke!
post #74 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 04:02 AM

Ok, I think I understand now.

Rusty is a douche yet no one who is saying that seems to be able to offer proof of that.

The only "proof" is that now he is hocking a non-Ibanez guitar and that seems to offend some fanboys.

I agree that his stuff is hardly "musical" and I have no interest in four-note-per-string licks, but to cast aspersions his way as a person because of any of that defies reason.

I'm not a Rusty lover or hater, but I'd really like to have some facts first before throwing someone under the bus.

Again - let's see the links to these videos or "interviews" that seem to not exist.
post #75 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gu1tar View Post
Ok, I think I understand now.

Rusty is a douche yet no one who is saying that seems to be able to offer proof of that.

The only "proof" is that now he is hocking a non-Ibanez guitar and that seems to offend some fanboys.

I agree that his stuff is hardly "musical" and I have no interest in four-note-per-string licks, but to cast aspersions his way as a person because of any of that defies reason.

I'm not a Rusty lover or hater, but I'd really like to have some facts first before throwing someone under the bus.

Again - let's see the links to these videos or "interviews" that seem to not exist.
Well I think we have gotten past that. Previous posts about his doucheness, in my opinion, have been rectified by those posters in subsequent postings. (Does that sentence make sense?)

Anyways, obviously musically you either love the fast stuff or you don't. I think the case for his personality being negative has not been proven. Frankly, for anyone, including a moderator, to come out and call him names should not be acceptable as he is technically a member of Jemsite (has not posted in a long time) and personally attacking him is against the rules of Jemsite as I read them. Anyways, as for Betcha Can't Play This clip, he is right, I am not even close.

Tags
alex skolnick , angelo batio , basswood body , buckle rash , clear coat , coil tap , coil tapping , ebony board , ebony boards , ebony fretboard , edge trem , edge trems , ernie ball , fret access , gibson les paul , gibson les pauls , guthrie govan , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , les paul , les pauls , michael angelo batio , neck joint , neck pocket crack , neck pocket cracks , paul gilbert , pro edge , rusty cooley , scarf joint , shawn lane , signature guitar , strat style , super strat , swamp ash , trem arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in