RUSTY COOLEY 08 Betcha Can't Play This - Page 6 - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 10:14 AM

Re: RUSTY COOLEY 08 Betcha Can't Play This

Quote:
Originally Posted by gu1tar View Post

Again - let's see the links to these videos or "interviews" that seem to not exist.

Here's the link to the video I was talking about.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_j4Gsd7UmpM

I watched it again and I have to admit,that I was being overly harsh and it was wrong of me to insult him. So I apologize, and I'll aim to give him more of a chance from now on.

Sorry Guys I'm a douche too I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TequilaKing View Post
i never passed judgement on him, so read what I said first.

i made a side comment on the 'piece' he was playing.

it sounded like a Dalek having multiple orgsam and bore no resemblance to anything tuneful or melodic, which I naively thought a guitar was for..
My appologies, I should have stated "Some of you guys."

I am not taking up for Rusty's music. I am more of a Vai, Petrucci guy.
My son likes Rusty and if that motivates my son to pick up one of my guitars and play it rather than his video games, then thanks to Rusty for inspiring him.

I have been to where Rusty gives lessons many times, and there are always young kids in there taking lessons from him , and talking to him. And he is always nice to them and answers questions they have.

We all have to find our own sources of inspiration.

When we were all young and our parents heard our music, didnt most of them say "Thats not music". I know mine did.

My dad liked the country pickers like Jerry, Buck, Roy. However when I heard EVH it inspired me to want to play. And I can remember my dad coming into the room when I had Eruption blaring, asking what the hell that sh** was.
post #78 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 10:33 AM

Haha, same here... First my parents, solved that by growing up responsible.

Then my wife...

Now my kids....

Its all "papa, that's not music" nowadays...
post #79 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 10:43 AM

All of you are overanalyzing! Its just a betcha can't play this video. The point is to shred to the extreme and set a challenge for viewers. Rusty does actually have some great stuff and is a fabulous legato player. No reason to rip on him because he doesn't play Ibanez and is showing off his guitar!
post #80 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
Outworld is a sick band, perhaps you guys should look at that before passing judgment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0IkQJqL3kk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoPsI...eature=related
each to his own,but thats fxxxing terrible hideous noise.
post #81 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG462 View Post
All of you are overanalyzing! Its just a betcha can't play this video. The point is to shred to the extreme and set a challenge for viewers. Rusty does actually have some great stuff and is a fabulous legato player. No reason to rip on him because he doesn't play Ibanez and is showing off his guitar!
ya I see that I definitely was over analyzing, but think Betcha Can't Play This should have some class. I mean isn't the point in having it for showing off licks that are insane but also used in songs so that the people watching the videos can learn the licks and apply them? (I think im over analyzing again lol) Just if I remember right Rusty's Betcha Can't Play This is better than a few i have seen
post #82 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
Here's the link to the video I was talking about.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_j4Gsd7UmpM

I watched it again and I have to admit,that I was being overly harsh and it was wrong of me to insult him. So I apologize, and I'll aim to give him more of a chance from now on.

Sorry Guys I'm a douche too I guess.
All right then bro, let's just stick to the facts then.

But I think it's too funny that he's totally infomercialing that Dean prototype with a big a$$ Ibanez poster in the background in *obvious* view during the whole thing.
post #83 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
In the second video, don't you just have to say how much better that Ibanez looks than his newer guitars. And I find it funny that he could still easily play all theose difficult passages that now require that hideous horn on the new guitar.
I believe he had a custom horn on his Ibanez's too
post #84 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 05:59 PM

I think he only had two Ibanezes, and he used Ibanez for what, half an hour? The stop at Ibanez was just a cup of coffee between Jackson and Dean. I think he could play those blender runs on an Agile just as easily if they paid him. I can't honestly see how Ibanez fans consider him one of their own, when he's popped from brand to brand for years and he hasn't kep his old guitars either.
post #85 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 07:50 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG462 View Post
I dunno, Alex Skolnick did some sweet stuff last year for the column. I wasn't so much the speed that he was playing his lick at (was pretty quick though), more the phrasing, etc.
post #86 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michblanch View Post
I'll state what I know rather than an opinion.

I've met Rusty on several occasions and have even been to the store he teaches at here in Houston. He is a very nice person. He came out and visited with my son gave him some picks and a signed a cd for him.

I have met him on other occasions with his children and they are very and respectful. People say, "your children are a reflection of you", Well his kids were very well behaved and polite.

You guys are passing judgement on a 3 minute video.
Thanks, Mich. I'm a friend of Rusty's and I have to just ignore these comments or else I'll get banned.

Most of these guys are just pissed he left Ibanez, for many of the same reasons I just finished selling 10 out of my 11 Ibanez Jems, Prestiges and J-Customs.

If these guys spent half the energy they expend on insulting Rusty to protest Ibanez' absolutely ridiculous new line of guitars and ever-cheapening quality, then maybe artists like Rusty wouldn't be going to Dean now would they?

Go Korea! (sarcasm)
post #87 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 12:43 AM

I swear you guys argue about the dumbest ****.

post #88 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShred View Post
Thanks, Mich. I'm a friend of Rusty's and I have to just ignore these comments or else I'll get banned.

Most of these guys are just pissed he left Ibanez, for many of the same reasons I just finished selling 10 out of my 11 Ibanez Jems, Prestiges and J-Customs.

If these guys spent half the energy they expend on insulting Rusty to protest Ibanez' absolutely ridiculous new line of guitars and ever-cheapening quality, then maybe artists like Rusty wouldn't be going to Dean now would they?

Go Korea! (sarcasm)
So were your 10 Ibanez guitars bought after the decrease in quality?
post #89 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 01:25 AM

Quote:
So were your 10 Ibanez guitars bought after the decrease in quality?
They were bought over the course of a year and a half that I wanted to get really acquainted with Ibanez' lineup of guitars. Got acquainted with them, as well as other guitars at the same time such as Caparison, PRS, Fender, Gibson, etc.

Some observations with Ibanez that led me to sell them off...

1) Great tremolo and probably one of the best FR inspired trems ever, but a victim of Ibanez' cheapness: Pop-in trem arm instead of a screw on like the original Jems. Ended up dinging the top on one of my very expensive guitars when the bar decided to pop out during a very normal vibrato.

2) Prestiges made in Korea? The entire S Series? Give me a break.

3) Replacing the ebony fretboard with rosewood on the best of the Jem line, the 7VWH. Why? You improve the neck joint, you improve the scarf joint, etc, then decide to make an extra couple of bucks at the expense of the consumer by scrapping the ebony boards?

4) Ever own an Ibanez with black paint? Enjoy it while it lasts. It'll chip off the edges if you breathe too hard.

5) Ever own an Ibanez with gold hardware? Enjoy it while it lasts. It'll fade off if you sneeze.

6) Ever see an RG style Ibanez older than a couple of years without a neck pocket crack? Probably not.

7) If you aren't an 11 year old girl, your hands will probably bruise up on the lower horn of an RG style Ibanez when doing stretches in the upper registers of the fretboard.

8 ) The company has the innovation of Microsoft. Each "new" regurgitated line of guitars is worse than the last. You'll have an exception here and there like the E-Gen. Whether it's one's cup of tea or not, you have to admit it's at least SOME innovation from Ibanez amongst a whole line of duds.

etc..etc..etc...

They're fun guitars to noodle on once in a while. I decided to go with other brands.
post #90 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShred View Post
6) Ever see an RG style Ibanez older than a couple of years without a neck pocket crack? Probably not.
I own a 1991 RG 560 no neck pocket cracks. But the other arguments seem valid.

So in your experience what the best guitar for the money?

Tags
alex skolnick , angelo batio , basswood body , buckle rash , clear coat , coil tap , coil tapping , ebony board , ebony boards , ebony fretboard , edge trem , edge trems , ernie ball , fret access , gibson les paul , gibson les pauls , guthrie govan , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , les paul , les pauls , michael angelo batio , neck joint , neck pocket crack , neck pocket cracks , paul gilbert , pro edge , rusty cooley , scarf joint , shawn lane , signature guitar , strat style , super strat , swamp ash , trem arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode