RUSTY COOLEY 08 Betcha Can't Play This - Page 8 - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 11:04 AM

Re: RUSTY COOLEY 08 Betcha Can't Play This

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShred View Post
That all makes sense on paper until you're playing using the trem arm for moderate vibrato and the arm pops out and dents the quilt top of your $1800 guitar.

That'll never happen with a screw on trem arm. Also, I can't tell you how many times I've experienced "wobble" because the trem arm isn't snug enough in the hole. Like I said before, I haven't seen consistency in this. If I took the trem arm out of the Lo-Pro Edge on my VWH and popped it into the same model Lo-Pro Edge on my Bad Horsie, it didn't fit the same.
I agree with what you say about "wobble" and about the inconsistency between the bar/ holders on supposedly identical bridges. That can really get on my nerves.

I guess it comes down to choice really: would you prefer pop in or screw in?

Which is another thing everyone seems to put down on Ibanez for: very little choice. I am not experienced enough to say if this is true or not, but if it were (which seems likely judging by recent line ups) it would seem an appropriate reason to stop using Ibanez and go with someone else.

Personally, Jems are just about perfect for me, but I can see plenty of reasons why any guitar, let alone a guitar designed as a signature model for one certain players needs, but put in mass production like a Jem, would not be perfect for others.

I'm glad that you've found guitar companies that suit you better. You just have to be happy to have the instrument that is right for you and that's all that matters

Anyway, getting a bit off topic there... sorry about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
That all makes sense on paper until you're playing using the trem arm for moderate vibrato and the arm pops out and dents the quilt top of your $1800 guitar.

That'll never happen with a screw on trem arm. Also, I can't tell you how many times I've experienced "wobble" because the trem arm isn't snug enough in the hole. Like I said before, I haven't seen consistency in this. If I took the trem arm out of the Lo-Pro Edge on my VWH and popped it into the same model Lo-Pro Edge on my Bad Horsie, it didn't fit the same.
if your trem arm pops out, something is wrong.. has to do with either your guitar or your trem use. even when doing extreme flutter I can't see how your trem arm could possibly come out.
post #108 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
if your trem arm pops out, something is wrong.. has to do with either your guitar or your trem use. even when doing extreme flutter I can't see how your trem arm could possibly come out.
I can see how the arm pops out. It is all to do with how inconsistent the bar holders/ bars are and how a bar that fits one trem really tight will be quite loose in another.

I swapped the bar in my floral pattern's edge with the bar in my DBK's Lo Pro - the Floral tightened up heaps, was really really good to play and had heaps of flutter. But the DBK was ridiculously loose - flutter was absorbed totally by the bar shaking in the holder and pulling up could remove the bar from the holder easily. It just slides right out.

Maybe this is because they are two different designs but I can see this happening with any trem if you get a bad bar/ holder match up.
post #109 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:

I've NEVER heard of a bar popping out from a routine vibrato. Are you sure it was properly seated? To me it sounds like it wasn't in all the way - the thing goes in something like 3/4 of an inch or more, so it shouldn't just fall out under something as routine as vibrato.

Wobble's a different story, the bushings need to be replaced every so often so this won't happen. They last a LOT longer if you just leave the bar in and don't take it out and put it back in frequently, but as far as I'm concerned that's a legitimate gripe. On the flip side, the OFR is the only straight screw-in arm that I haven't had a hell of a time with it loosening up on me while I play; every liscensed trem (though I've never played Gotoh's, which is supposed to be excellent) was inferior to the Edge in this respect in that with fresh bushings the Edge at least performed flawlessly.

By the way, I'm not a betting man, but my money says that Edge you used to own was on a guitar that was modified to take an OFR arm. It's certainly possible to do - there's a tutorial in the tech section - and while I'm less so today I used to be quite the Ibanez nut. I've NEVER seen a picture of an Edge with a screw in bar that was stock.

I actually don't get on well with PRS's. The scale's a little short for low B tuning (25.5" is as low as you can really get away with, I'd argue), and while they're certainly pretty the mahogany tone isn't really my thing. I'm looking for a proper superstrat 7, alder or basswood body, maple bolt on neck with a maple board, 22 frets, and probably H-H with a coil tap a la a JS series, and some sort of a trem, probably an OFR if Wilkinson won't man up and make a 7. One of these days I'll have to suck it up and go custom... :/
post #110 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 02:58 PM

I think pop in does have that disadvantage of some wobble but Suhr seems to be doing fine with Gotoh trems and those have pop in bars too. (except older suhr's)
post #111 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 10:25 PM

I picked up a couple of esp guitars recently.They have the OFR with screw in arms.After a few rehearsals of constantly retightening the nut, I decided to solve the problem.I removed the OFR nut assembly and put an edge assembly in.Had to add a lock washer,as the floyd baseplate isn't threaded.It works flawlessly.I haven't had an OFR since the kramer days,been an ibanez junky.The Ofr stays in tune excellent, with good flutter.Now that I solved the trem arm problem, I'll experiment with a few other brands.
post #112 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
The early 777's had Edge trems with screw on arms. I still have a very early 777DY and it has the screw on arm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
By the way, I'm not a betting man, but my money says that Edge you used to own was on a guitar that was modified to take an OFR arm. It's certainly possible to do - there's a tutorial in the tech section - and while I'm less so today I used to be quite the Ibanez nut. I've NEVER seen a picture of an Edge with a screw in bar that was stock.
Screw on as in with a collar or screw in like low-trs? I've never seen a edge with this..weird..I think Drew is right..

Quote:
Sir, I did not say the horn gets worn. Your hand gets worn
Either I have really tiny hands or what but I've never even TOUCHED a horn with my hand on any guitar while playing..

Last edited by Lefty Robb; 04-18-2008 at 12:36 AM.
post #113 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 11:34 PM

I hated every screw in arm I've ever tried. But again I'm not a big trem user.

I still haven't really heard shred talk about the innovation of the other brands he named. I'd honestly (no sarcasm) would liek to know how these manufacturers trump Ibanez in innovation.

For reference read the comment above by me.
post #114 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 02:21 PM

I don't waht to think about him.
It's clear that is not a genius or a kinectic one

HIs abilties in this regar are out of thid world.
I've no interest.
But I wouldn't dare to comment onthe person...

But may be I realized he hadn't enough talent (for real or lack of confidence not my point or problem) and he only show casing his outstanding abilities for a living (and might go stuck into it).

Look agelco Batios, he was a jazz player.

It's wlways the same with this kinfd of player who know what they are playing at home?
I hear the guitarist of suicidal tendancies//infectious groove play jazz and archtop at home (ths I show way more musical feeling).
It's easy to critic he have a gift might not be a musical one, he try to live from this.

But at some point if he had at least some musical talent (this is true for all that kind of player) he should put him in danger and stop "parodize" himself.

Like slowing down concentrate on the mean of his playing, and only use his highest speed for some bursts (short) but bring some tension in the song.

/ I feel that when you're that fast you could tend to let your fingers "works", the spirit/ soul has to carry the music/solo.
I'm sure I can't think of what he is doing way too fast.

he should play in a difficult environment like jazz/fusion which lot of really impro, like a lot of his kind, who have knowledge and technic.

It makes me think a friend a singer with a really nice voice and a powerful one, every body tell him nice voice //Etc. but you're pushing too hard (not to the pont of breaking it ot the point it's boring where it could be on a breaking point have some volume burst but sparingly ).

Again I don't know what he is playing at home, in public his endorse have an image etc. he have to show case, but he should give himself a better chance in regard to music I heard in the sea of note an attraction to initricated/complex music but if you want to bring tension you can't be that fast ie bring and release the tension in half a second won't make... at least for listeners

Last edited by Laionel; 05-01-2008 at 04:20 PM. Reason: I realize I use I instead of he.
post #115 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
weird..I think Drew is right...
What's so weird about my being right?
post #116 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
What's so weird about my being right?
Those are periods, not comma's

Tags
alex skolnick , angelo batio , basswood body , buckle rash , clear coat , coil tap , coil tapping , ebony board , ebony boards , ebony fretboard , edge trem , edge trems , ernie ball , fret access , gibson les paul , gibson les pauls , guthrie govan , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , les paul , les pauls , michael angelo batio , neck joint , neck pocket crack , neck pocket cracks , paul gilbert , pro edge , rusty cooley , scarf joint , shawn lane , signature guitar , strat style , super strat , swamp ash , trem arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode